• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

case for dxd files

davidebond

Hi. I have just purchased a cd in dxd format. For sake of precision: 24bit, 352800 Hz sample rate, flac codec. I wrote to label saying that this file was in flac format, but they replied that it was a dxd file
encapsulated in a flac format. Without external dac (Topping dx3), able to read native dsd, Foobar2000 is unable to open the file. What does it mean that a format is inside another one?

Thanks and best,

davide

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
FLAC is not so much a format although the files are labeled as .FLAC. It is a compression/decompression algorithm for PCM and that DXD file is, in fact, 24/352.8 PCM. The inability of your DAC to support native DSD is irrelevant.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

To @Kal Rubinson: my dac Is able, not unable. The laptop is unable. I prefer not to speak of the label, but they do of the utmost quality their aim. If Is DoP Is not dsd. But of It were so, Foobar2000 ought play It. Instead, without dedicated dac It does not work.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Is it a dxd file, pcm audio? Or a dsd version of a 24/352 in a dop wrapper.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Is it a dxd file, pcm audio? Or a dsd version of a 24/352 in a dop wrapper.
It is a 24/352.8 PCM file in a .flac package. DoP is for DSD and not relevant.
I play such files all the time in stereo or multichannel with capable DACs.

levimax

Major Contributor
Try installing the Foobar "DSD Processor Plug In". I have never found a format Foobar won't play as long as you have the correct plug in installed.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Try installing the Foobar "DSD Processor Plug In". I have never found a format Foobar won't play as long as you have the correct plug in installed.
Sure but that won’t help.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

I have installed the dsd plugin for Foobar2000 from the package of drives by Topping. It Is a dxd file according to the Expert of the label. I asked him if It makes sense for me purchasing the blu ray pure audio. He replied no and asked what were my tools to listen to music. I added that my dac played dsd native files and he wrote that the files in issue were dxd and not FLAC or PCM. They are dxd files. "The FLAC Is only a transparent container." These are his words.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@davidebond and what did he tell you how to play DoP in PCM (wav) packed in flac? Why didn't idiots use WavePack or something that can carry native DSD and pack (compress) it or at least converted it to 16 bit sqere PCM. DoP is a transport protocol.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

I am ignorant on this matter. Excuse me for this thread.

Thanks and best,

Davide

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I did a quick search regarding it and find only problems regarding it on all leading software player's (Roon, JRiver, Foobar2000...). It's truly an abomination. If I find a way to get it out the flac jacket (container) and transcode it will post back.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Don't worry. Occupy yourself with more important things. I must have misunderstood. The quotation Is literal, but It doesn't matter. There are surely more interesting threads.

Thanks and best,

Davide

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@davidebond dear David it's not you plenty of search results and other people with such problems. I really would like to know who came up with idea for such abomination in the first place and it's puzzling enough for me to be interesting.
In short flac is a PCM only and sees the DoP stream as regular 24 bit 352800 Hz wav so it compresses it all the same. So getting it out isn't that hard (just back to wav) but what should I do again with DoP stream output (as it's transport protocol) and how to send it to DAC I have no idea.

unpluggged

"DXD" has nothing to do with DSD. "DXD" is a marketing term for regular PCM at 24/352.8. FLAC is a lossless codec that encodes PCM. So "DXD" can be stored in FLAC format. Your DAC and software must then support 24 bit/352.8 kHz audio, and that's all you need (actually, not).

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Honestly It supports more than 30 bits, but It Is another question. I connect the dac to the laptop and foobar2000 Is able to reproduce the files. About dsd or not dsd, in any case my dac Is able to play various types of files from dsd family. I purchased It for this aim. I tested It. And a string "dsd" appears on dac screen.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
"DXD" has nothing to do with DSD. "DXD" is a marketing term for regular PCM at 24/352.8. FLAC is a lossless codec that encodes PCM. So "DXD" can be stored in FLAC format. Your DAC and software must then support 24 bit/352.8 kHz audio, and that's all you need (actually, not).
How many times do we have to say this? :facepalm:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I did a quick search regarding it and find only problems regarding it on all leading software player's (Roon, JRiver, Foobar2000...). It's truly an abomination. If I find a way to get it out the flac jacket (container) and transcode it will post back.
Nonsense. I can play any of my "DXD" files in stereo or multichannel without problems via JRiver (and, I can assume, the other standard players).

Top Bottom