• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Raven 350 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 269 82.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 29 8.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 3.1%

• Total voters

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, not a good enough reason for the other forum member to be a jerk. Once again, the ignore feature comes in handy.

I guess if you have to keep answering the same claims about how "science hasn't figured it all out yet" multiple times a day, every day, from people who don't even bother with a basic understanding of the subject, one may not remain very nice and polite for very long. Especially when #175 challenger for this week shows up and demands that you explain it to them... because you know, "science must be wrong" since "I hear a difference."

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bet you wouldn’t talk like that in person. In real life if someone is nicely trying to explain their point, a gentleman who knew more who than another might say, “Here is where you are mistaken- the sag/slew rate is not affected because of xyz. Component tolerance doesn’t matter cause xyz. Etc.”
I already said I am happy to learn more about design. You can even PM me, or move this over to the VTA discussion for others to be educated (I am not the only one who thinks this way- there is a whole other forum that does)…sorry everyone for cluttering the this Carver discussion

In my mind, these discussions are helpful. There is audio myth. It’s a myth that all tubes are designed to distort and have lots of harmonics. There is audio legend. Amplifiers that’s double down from 8 to 4 to 2 to 1 ohms are better. There are also “correct for the wrong reason.”

Myth: Tubes are only designed to have euphonic distortion. As you can see from SIY’s own measurements of some of his designs, they are really clean. Even the MC275 tested at Stereophile is pretty respectable for a tube amp. Tubes can be designed well or poorly, like NOS DACs versus oversampling DACs in solid state. Solid State can be designed well or poorly.

Legend: it’s hard to make amplifiers that are 1 ohm stable. Apogee ribbons used to go down to 1 ohm and kill amplifiers. Therefore, amplifiers that kept doubling down were great. The reason this is legend? Imagine that my average amplifier design gets 75W in 8 ohms and 100W in 4 ohms. I don’t double down. With a better power supply I should hit 150W into 4 ohms. However, imagine that I advertise my amplifier as 50W into 8 and 100 into 4. Suddenly I am doubling down when all I really did is pretend my 8 ohms is worse. Easy to do marketing around “doubling down”.

Let’s talk slew rate.

The faster the slew rate, the faster your voltage can change. Think of car making a sharp turn. You are driving along and now swerving at 20 kHz. You only need 6.3V/microsecond to get a clean 20 kHz by the math to achieve 50V peaks

Therefore “speed” is wrong when thinking about slew rate and sound. Even if you could hear beyond 20 kHz, you don’t need that much slew rate.

Fast slew rate can minimize TIM with poor designs.
Fast slew rate can increase risk of high frequency RF noise entering system.
Fast slew rate can increase risk of ringing or overshoot in complex loads.

This is where it gets tricky and @amirm and @SIY can put me in my place if I am wrong.

There are super high end amps with super high slew rates just because they can. It’s like going for SINAD 140 instead of 130. A high slew rate isn’t bad.

However there are plenty of “bad” high slew rate amps that will overshoot in transients. This could euphonically distort the signal to give you the sense of sharper transients because it is adding extra volume to transients which wouldn’t be added across the board linearly.

In theory, some loudspeaker drivers have faster and slower rise time. This is captured in the step response. In theory, if you amplifier had a bit of overshoot and that overshoot compensated for the slightly slower step response, it could work better…

Of course, a good speaker and good non overshooting amp is always the best engineering.

This quote which I took from this thread is helpful.
Post in thread 'Step Response: Does It Really Matter?'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...esponse-does-it-really-matter.1999/post-53005

To quote John Atkinson's digest version (on Stereophile) of his AES paper:

"Again, this is an aspect of loudspeaker behavior that has proved controversial. One school of thought holds that it is very important to perceived quality; another, which includes almost all loudspeaker engineers, finds it unimportant. Floyd Toole, now with Harman International but then with Canada's National Research Council, in his summary of research at the NRC into loudspeaker performance that is described in two classic 1986 papers [32, 33], concluded thusly: "The advocates of accurate waveform reproduction, implying both accurate amplitude and phase responses, are in a particularly awkward situation. In spite of the considerable engineering appeal of this concept, practical tests have yielded little evidence of listener sensitivity to this factor...the limited results lend support for the popular view that the effects of phase are clearly subordinate to amplitude response."

This is also my view. Of the 350 or so loudspeakers I have measured, there is no correlation between whether or not they are time-coherent and whether or not they are recommended by a Stereophile reviewer
. However, I feel that if other factors have been optimized—on-axis response, off-axis dispersion, absence of resonance-related problems, and good linearity—like a little bit of chicken soup, time coherence (hence minimal acoustic phase error) cannot hurt. In my admittedly anecdotal experience, a speaker that is time-coherent (on the listening axis) does have a small edge when it comes to presenting a stereo soundstage, in terms of image focus and image depth. But time coherence does not compensate for coloration, poor presentation of instrumental timbres, a perverse frequency balance, or high levels of nonlinear distortion."

——

That is to say, it makes sense to have a perfect reproduction of the recorded waveform even if a lot of those characteristics may not be the primary impact on sound quality. No different that going for SINAD 140. But I wouldn’t pick a perfect step response over all the other critical things.

Going back to your comments on tubes. I have never heard a Dynaco or VTA but I do own the SFS-80 which is a Joe Curcio design of the Dynaco approach. The SFS-80 is a Sonic Frontiers product which we all know better as Anthem today.

You can see how well a Curcio ST-70 can be compared to the VTA70 or Carver measured here

Post in thread 'Review and Measurements of Dynaco ST 70'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...measurements-of-dynaco-st-70.7224/post-166287

The Curcio design sounds better AND measures better. But again, you only know how good a tube amp is if you also know what tubes are in it. Sonic Frontiers abandoned their tube line to focus on Anthem for both business reasons and in my opinion, supply chain issues.

If you want low distortion tubes, you need designs that want to be low distortion and tubes that were engineered and manufactured around low distortion.

You can spend a ridiculous amount of money to get great vintage tubes that really do perform well to get your tube to perform “close to solid state. Which in itself is incredible to me.

Last, I do think there is some euphonic alteration that occurs with tubes if only from the altered frequency response from a reactive load. That is just my opinions. In various threads I have described this as the voices in something like La La Land Soundtrack sounding larger than life and being artificial but still more preferable to listen to than a precise system where the non-professional singers sound “thin”.

For all I know, the VTA-70 and Carver amp will sound spectacular on the La la Land soundtrack and it sounds “better” with the distortion. But I think the real story is with the tubes looking a bit fishy to me.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess if you have to keep answering the same claims about how "science hasn't figured it all out yet" multiple times a day, every day, from people who don't even bother with a basic understanding of the subject, one may not remain very nice and polite for very long. Especially when #175 challenger for this week shows up and demands that you explain it to them... because you know, "science must be wrong" since "I hear a difference."
+1000 times this.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@SIY
Perhaps you can answer this question. It seems to be you almost never get tube amps that have better than -60 db distortion at rated power. Often a bit worse than that. Distortion vs level seems to start at some fairly low levels and rise almost linearly with power output. If the PS is up to it, somewhere just beyond the power where you have 1% or .5% THD it just shoots up with clipping. Tube preamps can be made pretty clean if the design is good. So is the distortion limit due to the transformer for the most part?

McIntosh made some solid state amps that used an Auto-former. Those could provide much lower levels of distortion, but an auto-former is a bit different and the step down or step up ratios are far lower than with a typical transformer coupled tube amp. Always made me wonder if a tube amp using series connected transformers of a much lower ratio couldn't be made to have lower distortion. Would be more expensive, but at prices charged for some tube amps I don't see that as a barrier. Of course it could just be the ability to use higher feedback than you can get away with using tubes is the big reason for the difference in those McIntosh auto-former amps.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@SIY
Perhaps you can answer this question. It seems to be you almost never get tube amps that have better than -60 db distortion at rated power. Often a bit worse than that. Distortion vs level seems to start at some fairly low levels and rise almost linearly with power output. If the PS is up to it, somewhere just beyond the power where you have 1% or .5% THD it just shoots up with clipping. Tube preamps can be made pretty clean if the design is good. So is the distortion limit due to the transformer for the most part?
Yes, but in a somewhat subtle way. Of course, the transformer has its own distortion, and there's methods to reduce it significantly. But... what the transformer does is impose high frequency and low frequency rolloffs, and ones that vary with level. Net effect is that you can't pile on a lot of open loop gain to increase feedback without making an oscillator. As a practical matter, 15-20dB is all you can usually get away with in a conventional transformer-coupled power amp.

edit: It should be noted that amps with topologies using multifilar output transformers and hence high local feedback at the output stage can achieve quite good (comparatively) distortion numbers at low and moderate power.

Holmz

Major Contributor

What Bob Carver believers should do is ask him how he envisions this works and what it does to the signal provided to the speaker.
He can prove it by showing the output waveform from the amp when measured in a garden and once in a bathroom.

I do not think that the staff lets him out into the garden alone, or maybe they only let him out for 10 minutes a day or so.

Last edited:

Holmz

Major Contributor

Tube amps always were more appropriate with highest sensitive speakers. In their heyday almost all speakers were like this.

I think that you got this a bit “back to front.”

In their day, there were no solid state devices yet.
And in fact the neutron had not yet been discovered.
There were only tubes, and the speakers were developed to work together with the amps.

It is not like people had tube and solidstate amps on the shelf and selected higher or low impedance speakers…

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can see the way you're going with this. Were this true, wouldn't the various OTL tube amps show some sign of superiority, even with Zero autoformers?

Jim
Maybe if all other things were equal which they aren't. An OTL has to make other compromises. Measures I've seen are about like other tubes amps other than a more extended bandwidth.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I can see the way you're going with this. Were this true, wouldn't the various OTL tube amps show some sign of superiority, even with Zero autoformers?

I think part of the problem is that tube stages don’t have a lot of gain to start with, so the amount of negative feedback (the #1 distortion killer) that can be applied in an amplifier is limited.

RammisFrammis

I think that you got this a bit “back to front.”

In their day, there were no solid state devices yet.
And in fact the neutron had not yet been discovered.
There were only tubes, and the speakers were developed to work together with the amps.

It is not like people had tube and solidstate amps on the shelf and selected higher or low impedance speakers…
That much is obvious, but does that distinction matter? Is there a point somewhere in there? I've noticed that people on this forum like to play gotcha on some point which doesn't really matter and doesn't invalidate the original point which is in this case that tube amps work best with sensitive speakers which tend to be relatively easy loads.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Apart from the research the interesting thing is that they talk about the benefits of DSP some 40 years ago.

The CD player came out in 1982 (development started in 1979) the article was from1989 (33 years ago) and digital filtering was already applied in Philips CDP from day one (CD100). This was born out of necessity because they could not manufacture DAC chips with better resolution than 14 bits and needed to reach 16 bits.

They did see that it is much easier to tinker with filters in the digital realm and what benefits could be had.
Their prototype speaker, however, had analog active XO and MFB.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
They can indeed have much more negative feedback applied and generally do. But the circuits start out far more non-linear, so the distortion reduction starts out with a different basis.

OTLs can definitely have a bandwidth advantage.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I think part of the problem is that tube stages don’t have a lot of gain to start with, so the amount of negative feedback (the #1 distortion killer) that can be applied in an amplifier is limited.
It's trivially easy to increase the open loop gain. The limitation is stability.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I sure hope it wasn't my remark that gave you that feeling.

Of course it is. I just want that fun to be: 1. more controllable, i.e. knobs and switches to dial in the right distortions for the program material, and 2. less expensive so more people share the fun.
Oh,I wasn't answering to you,I would have quoted you if I did.It just happened to write under your post.

Holmz

Major Contributor
That much is obvious, but does that distinction matter? Is there a point somewhere in there? I've noticed that people on this forum like to play gotcha on some point which doesn't really matter and doesn't invalidate the original point which is in this case that tube amps work best with sensitive speakers which tend to be relatively easy loads.

Your high sensitivity speakers can work well with small tube amps, or say with a small 10-25W Class-A amp.
The small Class-A amps are also a bad choice for a modern speaker with a difficult impedance.

Pointing back to the historic speakers and amplifiers, that predated the solid state era, doesn’t really help.
What people did 75 years ago, is not totally germane to what we might do today… but it was what I inferred from you words.

These days if people have low impedance speakers, and want high powered amps, then a high powered tube amp is as good of choice as a high powered SS… at least if $ is not a problem.
But that Carver amp is not an ARC tube amp.

And yes, a small 300b tube amp will not power many modern speakers.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What is an ARC tube amp?
Audio Research corporation.
Product-REF-160s-front.jpg

pma

Major Contributor
It's trivially easy to increase the open loop gain. The limitation is stability.
So can you show an example (full set of measurements, of course) of a tube preamplifier and power amplifier that would:

1) a preamp having similar distortion parameters as the SOTA solid state designs, i.e. THD about -120dB into 600 ohm load at 4Vrms
2) a power amp with similar distortion parameters as the SOTA solid state designs, i.e. THD about -100dB into 4 ohm load at 100W power and full power BW at both 20Hz and 20kHz

I am curious.

Top Bottom