• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver M-1.5t Review (Vintage Amp)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 102 48.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 83 39.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 5.3%

• Total voters

davidc

Forum Donor
So a 42 year old amp was measured… and the owner stated they changed the tires and the gas filter..
Seriously, this is like measuring the “performance” of a 1988 Z-28 with 250,000 miles that was sitting in the barn for 20 years, had new tires put on, a new gas filter, maybe an oil change (we don’t really know), with work done, or not done, by someone with no known qualifications to even work on cars, then detailed up to ”look pretty”.
Then was put on some machines to “measure” how well it was running…

Undoubtedly, even though it’s “measurements” might not look great, it would still run rings around a new, well measuring prius, (or even a well maintained 1988 Corolla) but the z-28 would still be waaaayyyy more fun.
But a 1988 Z28 is still a crappy car. All American cars of that era were crappy! lol

davidc

Forum Donor
It would have been cool to see a properly restored M1.5t be tested. There is a whole cult following of Carver gear and a few individuals who specialize in restoring them.

KEFCarver

I would not call the group of Carver Followers a "cult"- maybe fanboys- and they really defend Carver gear (most of it, anyway). I am sorta a Carver Fanboy, but have no problem "calling a spade a spade" when it comes to Carver gear that I test. My guess would be that a restored/upgraded M1.5t would still be (power supply) noisy but not objectionable and would be able to deliver more power that an original M1.5t.....

davidc

Forum Donor
Agreed. I've just always been a fan of Carver because of his innovative designs in electronics and loudspeakers, and his no fear attitude towards designing things very unconventional

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I would not call the group of Carver Followers a "cult"- maybe fanboys- and they really defend Carver gear (most of it, anyway). I am sorta a Carver Fanboy, but have no problem "calling a spade a spade" when it comes to Carver gear that I test. My guess would be that a restored/upgraded M1.5t would still be (power supply) noisy but not objectionable and would be able to deliver more power that an original M1.5t.....
Carver had some gems and some POS units. I have racks of Carver gear at home that I have brought back to life or just tuned back into spec and yes, they do have transformer hum and the lights dim when powered on, some pieces are difficult to repair, but I enjoy the sound and looks of that old 90s gear.

KEFCarver

Carver had some gems and some POS units. I have racks of Carver gear at home that I have brought back to life or just tuned back into spec and yes, they do have transformer hum and the lights dim when powered on, some pieces are difficult to repair, but I enjoy the sound and looks of that old 90s gear.
I have not noticed the light dimming at my house with my m400a's. Well, just one m400a, as the other one I am about to take apart for the 5th time to try to figure out why it is in protect mode following a cap replacement, which it worked fine for about an hour after the cap replacement. They are indeed a real pain to work on...But they are cute and sound great when working.

andrewdrouin

I've owned a Carver CUBE and a Carver M1.5t - both died within two years of me purchasing them :-( They look cool, but I am certainly not a fan of Carver unreliability...

Willem

Major Contributor
Right now, I am listening to a refurbished Quad 405, a model that was first introduced in 1976. Admittedly it only delivers 2x100 watt rms at 8 Ohm, but the distortion is less than 0.01%.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right now, I am listening to a refurbished Quad 405, a model that was first introduced in 1976. Admittedly it only delivers 2x100 watt rms at 8 Ohm, but the distortion is less than 0.01%.
Just keep in mind that 0.01% distortion equates to about -80 dB or an effective number of bits (ENOB) of about 10.5 bits.

That’s far less than CD quality. It’s an older amp, so that’s probably pretty good for its time.

Today, one can find inexpensive 100W amps in excess of -100 dB THD.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Just keep in mind that 0.01% distortion equates to about -80 dB or an effective number of bits (ENOB) of about 10.5 bits.
Isn't 80dB and ENOB of 13?

And -80dB is better than most speakers, and in any case inaudible to almost everyone in real world listening conditions.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't 80dB and ENOB of 13?

And -80dB is better than most speakers, and in any case inaudible to almost everyone in real world listening conditions.
I used an online Analog Devices calculator and did not calculate the values from equations myself.

-80dB is likely good enough for real world listening - I just posit that it’s dated performance compared to current alternatives.

Edit: After further review of the AD calculator, I likely misused it. I’ll concede the ENOB of 13 bits without additional calculation on my part - it seems to make more sense anyway.

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That’s far less than CD quality. It’s an older amp, so that’s probably pretty good for its time.

Today, one can find inexpensive 100W amps in excess of -100 dB THD.
Angsty Don't forget that our even our old NAD 2200's had/have 95 SINAD and 19 bits of dynamic range through the LAB inputs, not to mention:
index.php

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Angsty Don't forget that our even our old NAD 2200's had/have 95 SINAD and 19 bits of dynamic range through the LAB inputs, not to mention:
index.php

I have not forgotten! I’m just admitting that a -80 dB THD amp is likely good enough for “real world listening”. I have no intention of going backward, but I would not bet on my ability to consistently differentiate between a -80 dB THD amp and a -95 dB one.

(Yes, pedants, I do know there is difference between THD, THD+N, and SINAD.)

Top Bottom