• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 379 95.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, well, well...

Bob this, Bob that...
Our store will have an interactive feature, so customers and fans can talk with Bob. Bob loves interacting with fans and our upcoming store with provide for that.
If Bob loves the interaction, where is he then?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
There is exactly no honest person anywhere in this story.
I reckon you're correct.
It's like Kurosawa's Rashomon -- but with hifi. :(
Emblematic (or symptomatic) of the times in which we live, sadly.

PS OK, and I'll try - again - to take my leave of this topic. :facepalm:

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Waxx

Major Contributor
back on topic, this tubeamp does not look like it's build like it should. I love tubeamps, even with the harmonic distortion and did check many inside and outside and know how they work. But this looks like overpriced cheap chinese crap. I've actually seen better chinese builds selling for a few hundreds. And a good tube amp needs to be heavy, that means that the transformers are spec'ed like it should (or even more than needed). A light tube amp should ring an alarm, it means the output transformers are to small to do what is needed.

If you want to test real good tube amps, test Prima Luna devices, or those from Manley Labs or Line Magnetic. They are among the better examples of modern tube amps today, not those of Bob Carver. But you know in advance that they won't sound like you mostly like down here, harmonic distortion will always be much higher than modern style amps, but that is just what we tube amp lovers love when it's done right.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
but that is just what we tube amp lovers love when it's done right.
How is it done right? Tri-amp'd? Electrostatics? Horns? 16 output tubes in matched sets per ch? What kind of tweeters?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
How is it done right? Tri-amp'd? Electrostatics? Horns? 16 output tubes in matched sets per ch? What kind of tweeters?
I figure this is more right than not.

PXL_20220401_201606848.jpg

Waxx

Major Contributor
I mean a tube amp that is done right, like using the tube in the voltage rate that it's best, using output transformers that are wideband enough to cover the needed frequency range (30Hz-25kHz flat within a db), regulate the psu and use dc heaters so you don't need a floating ground to avoid hum, ...

This is the inside of a Prima Luna Prologue 4, an older model that is out of production since longtime that i own and know very well. This is a good example, the bad example is like above measured. The board with the ic's are the power regulators for each tube if you would wonder what it is. The actual version of this amp is the Evo100 power amp from them if you wanted to know. And this amp was relative cheap (the actual model still is) but does give good bass because the output transformers are overspec'ed quality, not just fancy looking and branded stuff.

If Amir would live close to me (I'm living in south-western Belgium, Europe) I would not be afraid to let him measure it and see the results. I'm using this amp for 6 years daily in one of my setups without issues.

Attachments

• Prologue 4 front.jpg
    Prologue 4 front.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Prologue 4 inside).jpg
    Prologue 4 inside).jpg
    201 KB · Views: 105

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If Amir would live close to me (I'm living in south-western Belgium, Europe)
Hmmmz... Brussels to Seattle and return. Is amazingly inexpensive and affordable. Much more than Vancouver to Toronto.
seattle a.png

seattle b.png

seattle c.png

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Thanks for sharing although I know the real heap of sweet gear is off camera somewhere. Your tri-amp'd system stuff. >@^_*@< All the amps and crossover stuff.
This is my 'casual listening vintage system'. The speakers are JBL 4412s, which are basically the studio version of the L-100s which are in vogue now. Keep stuff long enough and suddenly its hip again. Maybe If I stay around long enough, I'll be hip again too. :cool:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is my 'casual listening vintage system'. The speakers are JBL 4412s, which are basically the studio version of the L-100s which are in vogue now. Keep stuff long enough and suddenly its hip again. Maybe If I stay around long enough, I'll be hip again too. :cool:
I retailed the 4312A w/ the Ti tweeter for 5 years straight and it sold out every season. Loud and proud... :) If memory serves me correct it was ~ ~1600.00 a pair CND, honestly I am not sure...lol
jbl-4312-943293.jpg

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I retailed the 4312A w/ the Ti tweeter for 5 years straight and it sold out every season. Loud and proud... :) If memory serves me correct it was ~ ~1600.00 a pair CND, honestly I am not sure...lol
jbl-4312-943293.jpg
Mine are these. I got a lot of JBL stuff when I worked there on employee discount. :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine are these. I got a lot of JBL stuff when I worked there on employee discount. :)
I loved that Ti screened tweeter with a mid bass driver from JBL. It was fun. Add in the 12 and bigger woofs and JBL gets to be tones of fun. So what is it like with these efficient JBL's and tube amps?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
They'reved that Ti screened tweeter with a mid bass driver from JBL. It was fun. Add in the 12 and bigger woofs and JBL gets to be tones of fun. So what is it like with these efficient JBL's and tube amps?
They're okay but I wouldn't call them magical by any stretch of the imagination. I actually never liked the JBL sound. The stereo 70 does power them well but then I never listen to this system all that loud anyway. I used to have a pair of Wharfedale W60Ds with the system but they are now downstairs with a pioneer SX 550 receiver in the bedroom.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
They're okay but I wouldn't call them magical by any stretch of the imagination. I actually never liked the JBL sound. The stereo 70 does power them well but then I never listen to this system all that loud anyway. I used to have a pair of Wharfedale W60Ds with the system but they are now downstairs with a pioneer SX 550 receiver in the bedroom.
Nor FWIW, did/do I, with a few exceptions.

Top Bottom