• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 379 95.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

Travis

(A) It's a joke (mostly).
(B) He works for ATI, a reasonably well-regarded amplifier company in its own right. So you shouldn't have to wait long...
That may all be true, but he clearly has never been in a position where he had to be prepared for war on behalf of his country, let alone an apparently imminent invasion. No one who has been in that position, for real, (and there are many of us who have) would ever joke about something like that. I guess maybe a high fever or something, one can hope.

SaltyCDogg

That may all be true, but he clearly has never been in a position where he had to be prepared for war on behalf of his country, let alone an apparently imminent invasion. No one who has been in that position, for real, (and there are many of us who have) would ever joke about something like that. I guess maybe a high fever or something, one can hope.
People in grim situations don't make dark jokes? That's not my experience.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
By the way, if I seem a bit more snarky this last week, its because I came down with Covid on Monday, but I'm pretty much symptom free now (Friday). Wednesday was, uh, painful. :facepalm:

Be safe, y'all. I was being exceptionally safe and triple vaxxed, but it still got me. It ain't over till the fat virus sings.
If it's at all encouraging, my wife and I both had it, and I'm theoretically high risk (over 65 and not exactly skinny). A week of something like a cold, then fine after that. Fingers crossed for you.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I am a US Army Veteran. Sergeant E-5, I worked in military intelligence. I enlisted, was not drafted.

And yes, absolutely yes, I appreciate the the horror of the current situation - it shouldn't happen in today's world. But I was joking about these amplifiers and their apparent ground hazards, nothing more.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I'll just say our experiences differ and people respond differently to the situation, including what is clearly a passing reference and not some slam against the military.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I can't stop seeing OMRON (as in relays)

All they need to do is add an IC division and they have a perfect name.
OMRONIC? I mean, I like it -- an anagram of MORONIC.
:cool::facepalm:

OK, since I have yet again violated my sacred vow not to pollute this thread with... umm... pollution -- @MakeMineVinyl Sorry to hear of your experience. Hope you are recovering both quickly & fully!

OK, back to that little amp with the big tubes...

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OMG indeed! From an aesthetic standpoint, the amp's metalwork make it a logical paring for Oswalds Mill Audio Speakers. Real old-timey square nails 'n chisels stuff. :rolleyes:
I thought the turntable at OM Audio is the best but as I looked alll the gear is the best. Very unique stuff. :D I never heard about this gear before.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The antithesis of the amp reviewed:

I'd seen this already. Quite an industrial appearance like something from an electrical power plant in the 1930s. Probably be good to feed a real power amp if you have inefficient speakers and like that SET sound. Then again, we don't have an internal shot of the grounding situation. Sorry couldn't resist.

Myself I find SET's too colored. I do like the sound of some push-pull triodes however. Just the right colorations for me. I'd like an amp with push-pull 300B tubes, but the beasts are just too expensive.

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd seen this already. Quite an industrial appearance like something from an electrical power plant in the 1930s. Probably be good to feed a real power amp if you have inefficient speakers and like that SET sound. Then again, we don't have an internal shot of the grounding situation. Sorry couldn't resist.

Myself I find SET's too colored. I do like the sound of some push-pull triodes however. Just the right colorations for me. I'd like an amp with push-pull 300B tubes, but the beasts are just too expensive.
My last tube amp was an earlier version of this Canary Audio:

It was well made, very heavy, and produced ~40w of 300B PP power.

However, it wasn't quite enough for Eminent Technology 8Bs.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My last tube amp was an earlier version of this Canary Audio:

It was well made, very heavy, and produced ~40w of 300B PP power.

However, it wasn't quite enough for Eminent Technology 8Bs.
I like the looks of that. Like the design. Don't quite like the price. I might even put up with the weight and power consumption.

BTW, what do you power your ET 8Bs with?

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I like the looks of that. Like the design. Don't quite like the price. I might even put up with the weight and power consumption.

BTW, what do you power your ET 8Bs with?
I have Emotiva XPA-2 gen 2 pair, switched to mono.

My Canaries were an early version the company made for Western Electric to show off their then new 300B tubes, under "Gotham" label. WE never went ahead with these amps for actual production, so a few pairs sold at ~$4-5K in early naughts.

Needless to say, I could never afford WE tubes for them. I used Electro Harmonix, which were fine, but a full output tube set was north of $600.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Sort of like this?

_MG_4884.jpg

Orange Empire Railway Museum. This is a DC power station for the trolleys; the Tool Shed amp would fit right in. :cool:

Top Bottom