• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 379 95.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
I felt sorry for the little Crimson 275 and gave it a sympathy vote. It's hardly its fault their makers installed such tiny transformers. If only it'd been given a chance, it might have been something special.

I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender...

I know it's been damned hot down there recently, but maybe the Tonga Volcano blast got you too John.

Maybe sit down in the shade for the day. Next thing we know you'll be buying one way fuses. We're worried about you.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Maybe sit down in the shade for the day.

I got so sunburnt on the beach the other day- my face is peeling! "wear a hat" she said. Did I listen? Nope.

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
For example:
If the transformers are indeed undersized - what size transformer would produce the 'marketing rated' specs?
Would they fit in the current covers?
Would up/down stream components need to be replaced with higher values or tolerances?
Is there an easy way to correct the 'safety' issues?

The safety grounding issue is easily fixed, retrofitting the amplifier with new transformers is more complicated. If you could find somebody to do the work, maybe some potted 70W transformers could be fitted, but not with the existing shields, space appears tight in the rear of the amp as is. Note a 70W transformer from Edcor weighs around 10lbs, the pair would weigh more than the entirety of the stock amp. The amplifier would need to be bench tested for stability and adjustments made to the feedback network. But if you were willing to go that far, it might be better to pursue a different amplifier entirely. If there is any hope for a return to the dealer, that is probably the best approach.

Thermionics

The safety grounding issue is easily fixed, retrofitting the amplifier with new transformers is more complicated. If you could find somebody to do the work, maybe some potted 70W transformers could be fitted, but not with the existing shields, space appears tight in the rear of the amp as is. Note a 70W transformer from Edcor weighs around 10lbs, the pair would weigh more than the entirety of the stock amp. The amplifier would need to be bench tested for stability and adjustments made to the feedback network. But if you were willing to go that far, it might be better to pursue a different amplifier entirely. If there is any hope for a return to the dealer, that is probably the best approach.
This really comes down to a 'don't throw good money after bad' scenario, unfortunately.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For a bit of perspective, you all may want to read my meeting notes when Bob came to visit our audiophile society: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...er-and-his-amazing-line-source-speakers.1261/

Including this bit on the second page:

"Alas, the music continued to cut out. This time I noticed it was the Carver pre-amp that was shutting off. "

Two of these were being used to power the system:

index.php

index.php

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
For a bit of perspective, you all may want to read my meeting notes when Bob came to visit our audiophile society: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...er-and-his-amazing-line-source-speakers.1261/

"Alas, the music continued to cut out. This time I noticed it was the Carver pre-amp that was shutting off. "

index.php

index.php
What is the obsession with putting amps on the floor? It seems the worst place to put them, but audiophiles seem to love to put them there.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What is the obsession with putting amps on the floor? It seems the worst place to put them, but audiophiles seem to love to put them there.
Yeh, I was taking pictures and was terrified of stepping on them.

alashikata

:cool: That a monster mono-block with PT and OPT. I think it's heavy and away from other electronics for magnetic or something.

traderitch

You don't build a 75watt amp with 15 watt rated transformers. Did I really need to point it out for you?
A well established fact but not what was asked in my post.

Paul did offer something helpful in his response.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

index.php

index.php

Those are the Model 350 monoblocks. I wonder if they’d measure as poorly as the 275?

Martin

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I think it all started at audio shows and demo rooms in HiFi stores.

Sometimes if a customer wanted to hear a particular amplifier in an already set-up demo room, you'd have no space to place it, except right on the floor.

And at big HiFi shows, they often have bare ballrooms with dividers, rugs and that was about it. Racks and stands didn't transport well, so big amps were placed on the floor on rugs or pieces of cut granite, with tent signs, fat cables etc.

Audiophiles just copied the look which has been perpetuated in HiFi magazine reviews too. The reviewers may already have their system set up, so the review item gets put on the floor, reviewed and photographed like that.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I figured audiophile-approved speaker cables cost >>> than audiophile-approved interconnects, so it is cheaper to have the amp(s) closer to the speakers.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A well established fact but not what was asked in my post.

Paul did offer something helpful in his response.
Yeah I guess he did even though it is more or less the same thing I said I was just more curt. I know you don't like me using the word con. It isn't directed at you personally, but come on. Being blunt, whether it was Bob or Frank or Bob and Frank you've been had. I hate seeing such products which is maybe why I'm a little snippy about it. Especially as Bob Carver hasn't done this in the past. Doesn't mean you were foolish or stupid only that you were taken advantage of.

To fix this you need bigger OPTs, and a bigger PT. They have to be chosen to work at the correct impedances for the rest of the design. Then you need to adjust values in the rest of the circuit even keeping the same circuit. Maybe you were hoping a couple relatively simple changes could make it okay. Unfortunately not the case here. As someone else here earlier commented on it, you're better off ditching it and getting a different amp than fixing this one.

Obviously you don't know what you don't know. Which is another reason it really rubs me the wrong way that Bob Carver or someone on his behalf is trading his reputation for such a poor product. So don't take it personally from me, I'm not trying to make you look bad. I do think you've been more than generous giving the benefit of the doubt when plenty of info shows the truth now. '

My apologies if my comments seemed directed at you in a manner derogatory toward you. That wasn't my intent, and maybe I've stepped over the line in that respect.

LowBlow

I figured audiophile-approved speaker cables cost >>> than audiophile-approved interconnects, so it is cheaper to have the amp(s) closer to the speakers.
Yeah, but you gotta get those cables off the floor with little suspension-thingies, so as “to effectively address radio-frequency (RF) noise coupled from the floor into audio and AC cables”:p

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not with the new "Air Force XX" cables. They utilize a complex system of servo-controlled fans that push positive air pressure into the cable insulation jacket. Strategically placed holes in the jacket (spacing and diameter determined by hundreds of hours of critical listening, including by the designer's deaf mother-in-law from the kitchen down the hall from his listening room) allow the pressurized air to escape, providing lift off the floor, and also pushing the cables away from nearby objects such as wall, stands and cabinets. And to get the best out of this system you place blocks of myrtle wood every 12 inches along the cables.

Top Bottom