• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 356 95.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters

voodooless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like they're going through a corporate rework and some things will be changing over there and I wish them the best of luck.
Yeah, they are building a new exhibit to place Bob in.

MaxBuck

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm not sure I see a good reason to wish these people well. Their recent products are crap.

xaxxon

I'm not sure I see a good reason to wish these people well. Their recent products are crap.
Have you ever heard this amp? I think you'd be shocked if you heard one of these amps blind and then were later told what it was. I still have one and I still think it sounds pretty good. I wasn't impressed with the build quality of the second one I bought and I do like my benchmark amps more (I have 3) but I don't think the amp is garbage. I generally enjoy it on my wilson alexia 1s and my 805d3s. It didn't have enough power for the wilsons which is why I bought two, but it doesn't sound bad. But for a $6000 pair of monoblocks (that shouldn't have had to be a pair) it was too expensive vs a single benchmark amp at half the price MSRP.

When I bought it I took the two 275s to a local mcintosh dealer and compared it against the https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/amplifiers/MC462 on a newer model of my speakers and preferred the 275s. Obviously we weren't running anywhere near the 450 watts the mcintosh could do, but in terms of sound I preferred the carvers.

I don't think calling it "crap" is a fair assessment of its audio quality. But I do agree that they are over-marketed in the spec sheet side of things.

Last edited:

xaxxon

If I purchased a BMW M4 expecting 473 bhp, and measurements showed engine output to be 210 bhp, I wouldn't be "wishing BMW executives well."
if they took it back no problems and were addressing things then I got no issues.

JP

if they took it back no problems and were addressing things then I got no issues.

Intentionally misrepresenting a product is okay as long as the person misrepresenting it allows an individual who catches them to return it? Rinse and repeat on to the next victim.

xaxxon

I decided that I was going to get a refund on my other 275 (I had bought a second one thinking I needed more than 75 watts - not knowing that they were really just grossly underpowered). First one was accepted back about 2 weeks ago.

I spoke with Jim Clark who now (to my knowledge) runs day to day at Bob Carver corp and was informed that the offer to refund purchases has expired - 3 days shy of 3 months since the offer (without any time bound on it) was made here.

I'm still waiting on the check for my first one that they received a week ago. But they are in communication regarding it, so I'm still hopeful.

edit: followup email said it ended april 1. So it was valid for.. 2 months and 10 days.

Last edited:

SIY

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
I decided that I was going to get a refund on my other 275 (I had bought a second one thinking I needed more than 75 watts - not knowing that they were really just grossly underpowered). First one was accepted back about 2 weeks ago.

I spoke with Jim Clark who now (to my knowledge) runs day to day at Bob Carver corp and was informed that the offer to refund purchases has expired - 3 days shy of 3 months since the offer (without any time bound on it) was made here.

I'm still waiting on the check for my first one that they received a week ago. But they are in communication regarding it, so I'm still hopeful.

edit: followup email said it ended april 1. So it was valid for.. 2 months and 10 days.
Small claims. Get a judgement.

JP

Cheaters gonna cheat.

TriodeLuvr

I spoke with Jim Clark who now (to my knowledge) runs day to day at Bob Carver corp and was informed that the offer to refund purchases has expired...

If this happened to me, I would waste no time in forwarding a complaint letter by registered mail to Bob Carver Corp. You should include at least one formal report from a known testing facility if possible. If this is ineffective, another letter to the FTC with copies to relevant state attorneys general would be in order. I suggest that you not assume the expense of filing suit until all other avenues are exhausted and/or you approach the statue of limitations. Bear in mind that I'm not a lawyer, so advice from an authoritative source is in order here. Sorry this happened to you.

Jack

leebergtally

Two years ago I purchased the new Dynaco ST70 series 3 from Radial Engineering (now out of production). I like the amp but when I discovered the Carver I thought if only I had known I could have had a more powerful and attractive amp. After your review I’m glad I didn’t know about the Carver. Disappointed in Bob Carver especially on the build. Attached is my Dynaco.

Attachments

• 31E1F259-3D3E-4717-978F-5522E48A2A06.jpeg
    31E1F259-3D3E-4717-978F-5522E48A2A06.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 56
  • E46C0E34-9132-45AA-ACFA-2C24F1E2A6AE.jpeg
    E46C0E34-9132-45AA-ACFA-2C24F1E2A6AE.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 55

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Kevin Deal is always entertaining if not always correct. However, his comments from 11:35-11:50 above are both.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two years ago I purchased the new Dynaco ST70 series 3 from Radial Engineering (now out of production). I like the amp but when I discovered the Carver I thought if only I had known I could have had a more powerful and attractive amp. After your review I’m glad I didn’t know about the Carver. Disappointed in Bob Carver especially on the build. Attached is my Dynaco.
Wow, that was not in production very long. I had high hopes for a reinvigorated Dynaco.

DamianW

Re tube life if you leave tubes on 24hrs a day 7 days a week as some people do that is 8736hrs a year and they wont last long if you do.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Re tube life if you leave tubes on 24hrs a day 7 days a week as some people do that is 8736hrs a year and they wont last long if you do.
That’s not what I was talking about in the video—what you said may be the case, though. Just watch from 11:30-11:50 for the part I thought was relevant.

Last edited:

tomelex

Forum Donor
Small signal tubes in a pre-amp for example can easily function for 10 years being on all the time, it just depends on what the circuit is. This is from my first hand observations. Now, these would be NOS tubes from as late as the sixties production dates, I do not know about newer stuff.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, that was not in production very long. I had high hopes for a reinvigorated Dynaco.
Dyna was a product of an era. A different era than anything going on today. Dynaco produced important products that in many ways defined the times. But those times died around the mid '70s.

I'm guessing the Radial product was 'better' than any Dyna ST-70, at least on the bench. But most people fascinated with the ST-70 were/are simply not interested in a 'store bought kind-of-clone'. Dyna (the original) continues to be the hobbyist's horse. The Radial product was a 'one and done'.

FWIW, Radial attempted to resurrect the Hafler brand, too, but a quick check shows that all those products have been discontinued.

May David RIP.

Top Bottom