• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Measurements

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, that case is even sadder, since all "Altec Lansing" is today... is a name*.
McIntosh is still -- at least sort of -- McIntosh.

ZMdgpH3RCgEiWbfAvWykbB.jpg

sort of. :(

Travis

Anyone with working hands/fingers, and who is able to follow step by step instructions, can build a tube amp. Using minimal tools. And once they build it, not only will they be able to repair it, but it will last them, and whoever buys it from them (or inherits it), a lifetime of use. I'm of course talking about the average Joe..., not the guy who goes to sleep and dreams about his breadboard.
Where's the "High Voltage" disclaimer :).

The average Joe who knows who to work with and takes the proper precautions with working around b+ voltages won't have problems, but people who don't know enough to not be putting their hands/fingers inside a hot amp are going to learn a lot real quick.

Good with hands, and also good with probes.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Interesting chatter about some of the circuit features over @ AK, for any of you not peeking over there now & again.
See, e.g.,

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where's the "High Voltage" disclaimer :).

The average Joe who knows who to work with and takes the proper precautions with working around b+ voltages won't have problems, but people who don't know enough to not be putting their hands/fingers inside a hot amp are going to learn a lot real quick.

Good with hands, and also good with probes.
It's not just the electrocution thing. I wasn't really thinking about that. It's trying to figure out the problem, in the first place. Without special test equipment. For example, if your Dyna stops working, you can check the tubes, and possibly replace the capacitor can if you see it is leaking. You can turn the amp upside down, and visually inspect the wiring for faults, etc. It's all very simple.

If, on the other hand, the FET controlling the triac that modulates the voltage to your 'magnetic field' amplifier's transformer starts to intermittently fail, that's going to be tough for the musical loving dentist to figure out, on his own, with just a Fluke.

But you are correct about building the amplifier. Raw assembly can be done just as easily (or almost) as with tubes. When SS was in its hi-fi adolescence, long before everything was stamped out in a factory in Malaysia, one could buy fairly high-powered SS kits. Dyna made them for several years. Jim Bongiorno's Ampzilla kit was famous. Marshall Leach designed them. I'm sure there were many others.

I know you can still get plans and parts. A few full kits are out there, too. If I needed another amp (LOL) the little Akitika would be something I might try.

TriodeLuvr

I stopped listening to solid state amps permanently about 15 years ago. The turning point was a dirty, unrestored $20 tube amp from the '60s that blew my Luxman M120 into the weeds. And I can tell you, the Luxman was no slouch. I might not be able to hear the difference now (I'm almost 70), but I know it exists, I've heard it repeatedly, and I'll never go back.

Jack

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Chazz6

From pages about the Crimson amplifier on the website of Frank Malitz's company:

Our amplifiers simply do not run as hot as any other tube-type amplifiers. In fact, they are the coolest running tube type amplifiers in history, allowing you to actually touch the tops of the mighty KT120's and never be burned! While we caution against grabbing the sides of the output tubes (they must be hot to function), the internal temperature of our amplifiers is a bit warmer than the inside of your mouth, resulting in an indeterminate lifespan. Due to the unique design, all the components in the amplifier undergo much less stress than in conventional designs. Due to the efficiency of the concept, our transformers can be lighter and despite Bob Carver specifying esoteric steel for their cores, it helps us sell a $4000 amplifier for under $3000.
and
Output Transformer: Proprietary design with hand-wound, interleaved windings of copper and silver on a steel core; low leakage inductance, super wide band

(Didn't find these sentences quoted in the thread. If they were, deletion of this post is in order.)

TriodeLuvr

From pages about the Crimson amplifier on the website of Frank Malitz's company:

Our amplifiers simply do not run as hot as any other tube-type amplifiers. In fact, they are the coolest running tube type amplifiers in history, allowing you to actually touch the tops of the mighty KT120's and never be burned! While we caution against grabbing the sides of the output tubes (they must be hot to function), the internal temperature of our amplifiers is a bit warmer than the inside of your mouth, resulting in an indeterminate lifespan. Due to the unique design, all the components in the amplifier undergo much less stress than in conventional designs. Due to the efficiency of the concept, our transformers can be lighter and despite Bob Carver specifying esoteric steel for their cores, it helps us sell a $4000 amplifier for under $3000.

and

Output Transformer: Proprietary design with hand-wound, interleaved windings of copper and silver on a steel core; low leakage inductance, super wide band

It's all just one big lie.

OP
paulbottlehead

paulbottlehead

Audio Company
I stopped listening to solid state amps permanently about 15 years ago. The turning point was a dirty, unrestored $20 tube amp from the '60s that blew my Luxman M120 into the weeds. And I can tell you, the Luxman was no slouch. I might not be able to hear the difference now (I'm almost 70), but I know it exists, I've heard it repeatedly, and I'll never go back.
I have to admit I had a similar experience. Although I find measurements extremely important, they don't always correlate with my preferences for whatever reason.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to admit I had a similar experience. Although I find measurements extremely important, they don't always correlate with my preferences for whatever reason.
Nor should they.

One ought never to accept anyone else's preferences as one's own. True whether one is talking about women, automobiles, audio equipment or careers.

Larry B. Larabee

Are you here for idle chit-chat or an update on 'the status'?

Top Bottom