• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Measurements

egellings

Major Contributor
Should Amir receive a copy of the amp for test, he should remove the OPT covers on it to be sure just what is under them. Maybe he would get an amp fitted with appropriately-sized transformers which would allow the amp's advertised performance, rather than those little walnuts we saw earlier. If that were to be the case, then Bob would have some 'splainin' to do.

egellings

Major Contributor
McIntosh: ORANGE LEDs under the tubes if you must. With tubes, we don' need no steengking LEDs. That's what the tubes are for, among other things.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Removing more transformer covers doesn't seem necessary at this point. The two amps I have here weigh about 19 lbs, if the new amp also weighs about 19 lbs, there's no possibility that there's larger iron inside.
You might want to post a picture of the amp on a scale to preempt that future argument. :rolleyes:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Kind of points out the difference between audio (not essential to life) and nutrition (definitely essential to life).
But then again, maybe essential to avoid nutrition that's been sitting in some FedEx depot for a few weeks...

:cool:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
McIntosh: ORANGE LEDs under the tubes if you must. With tubes, we don' need no steengking LEDs. That's what the tubes are for, among other things.
In fairness to Mac (and, mind you, the Mac of 2022 is a company I'm happy to be unfair to) -- the disco LED display under the small signal tubes is color coded to reflect (heh) their operational status.
I ain't sayin' it's a great idea, but it's not quite the same as the $30 vacuum tube preamps with blue LEDs (or whatever color was cheap) stuck under the 50 cent surplus Chinese small pentodes for who-knows-what reason. :mad:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
In fairness to Mac (and, mind you, the Mac of 2022 is a company I'm happy to be unfair to) -- the disco LED display under the small signal tubes is color coded to reflect (heh) their operational status.
I ain't sayin' it's a great idea, but it's not quite the same as the $30 vacuum tube preamps with blue LEDs (or whatever color was cheap) stuck under the 50 cent surplus Chinese small pentodes for who-knows-what reason. :mad:
The green LEDs are about as tasteless as this light show bastardization of a once-great manufacturer I used to work for, Altec Lansing.

MVIMG_20181028_123914.jpg

audioholic63

Removing more transformer covers doesn't seem necessary at this point. The two amps I have here weigh about 19 lbs, if the new amp also weighs about 19 lbs, there's no possibility that there's larger iron inside.
Removing the covers sounds like major warranty voiding surgery from the agon thread. I'd be curious to know if we have weight specs on the 15w Edcors as opposed to higher wattage models in the same line.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Removing the covers sounds like major warranty voiding surgery from the agon thread. I'd be curious to know if we have weight specs on the 15w Edcors as opposed to higher wattage models in the same line.
You can do the compairsons yourself on Edcor's web page. The difference between a 10 watt and a 100 watt is over 2X the weight. Not the exact same wattages or model of transformer, but the idea is the same.

teched58

You can do the compairsons yourself on Edcor's web page. The difference between a 10 watt and a 100 watt is over 2X the weight. Not the exact same wattages or model of transformer, but the idea is the same.
Maybe we should start a GoFundMe for the Bob Carver-associated (or formerly associated) companies so that they can afford bigger transformers while maintaining their profit margins.

We could promote it with the slogan "Help us beef up Bob's BOM!"

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The green LEDs are about as tasteless as this light show bastardization of a once-great manufacturer I used to work for, Altec Lansing.

View attachment 177469
Well, that case is even sadder, since all "Altec Lansing" is today... is a name*.
McIntosh is still -- at least sort of -- McIntosh.

ZMdgpH3RCgEiWbfAvWykbB.jpg

sort of. :(

30 Ounce

Isn’t it’s power bandwidth list as 24hz-22khz? So it should be down an unspecified amount at 20hz possibly 3db?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Top Bottom