• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Measurements

OP
paulbottlehead

paulbottlehead

Audio Company
Into a typical 2 way speaker the FR changes to a (more or less strong) kind of loudness curve. Of course this sounds better than a similar amp with much lower output impedance, even when level matched at 1 kHz.
Oh man, I've heard this go either way. Output impedance adds to the Qe of a woofer and can mess with bass reflex tuning, so things can get weird in a hurry. Also depending on whether the rising impedance from tweeter voice coil inductance is addressed, you can end up with a little sizzle that's undesirable.

If you look at the front of the amps you will notice the nice one has the gold signature plate on the top where the production units have it across the bottom so then there is no room for an added personal signature. And the Carver Fest 2018 amps where not sold as kits to the general public like a heathkit or something. So they had nothing to live up to they where meant for fun not what I have been reading. it was also stated that the carverfest amps had a different transformer than the production amps had when they where being built. But it was probably still a smaller one has they all had low weight compared to conventional tube amps. And only the first 30 or so of the production units had the hi-low switch in the back.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
If you look at the front of the amps you will notice the nice one has the gold signature plate on the top where the production units have it across the bottom so then there is no room for an added personal signature. And the Carver Fest 2018 amps where not sold as kits to the general public like a heathkit or something. So they had nothing to live up to they where meant for fun not what I have been reading. it was also stated that the carverfest amps had a different transformer than the production amps had when they where being built. But it was probably still a smaller one has they all had low weight compared to conventional tube amps. And only the first 30 or so of the production units had the hi-low switch in the back.
The production amp still weighs 19 pounds - not much weight budget there for a beefy output transformer. :oops:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

TimF

Forum Donor
From what I read here the difference between the specs and reality is well beyond a rounding error, beyond a little exaggeration. This is marketing and advertising overreach that brings to mind the word fraud. That is not uncommon in today's marketplace. If indeed the product can't get anywhere near claimed spec then we know what is going on. This website has been managed well from my perspective in that it is not being used to expose ongoing manufacturers. The website isn't The National Enquirer. Well and good, but we shouldn't be too shy or reticent to expose a product that shows excess excess.

engie490

The output transformers on my Dynaco SCA-35 15 watt amplifier are a little bit bigger than the ones here. Very strange. I would have just rated the Carver amp at 15 watts per channel and called it good. Better still, dump the expensive KT120s, use EL84s, and use the money saved from the tube swap for a better output transformer.
He did...for $1500.

ABCBMAGIC.jpg

I wonder if he used the same transformers?

Anyway, I too was tempted by the Crimson 275. The thought of tube sound without the heat or worry was spellbinding.

But I never pulled the trigger. Probably because of one spec...19 pounds. Never made sense to me.

Looking forward to measurements on the new Crimson 275. Maybe we need a Go Fund Me for DocB to cover the restocking fee and shipping?

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Haven't been around tube amps for decades but did use some back in the early to mid 70s. Didn't the MC240 weigh something close to 50 pounds? And the AR Dual 51 weigh something around the same? I used a MC275 for a time and that sucker was a load. So, 19 pounds???

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Haven't been around tube amps for decades but did use some back in the early to mid 70s. Didn't the MC240 weigh something close to 50 pounds? And the AR Dual 51 weigh something around the same? I used a MC275 for a time and that sucker was a load. So, 19 pounds???
I have a MC240, and although I don't know its specific weight, I can certainly tell you its far more than the Carver's 19 pounds. o_O

OP
paulbottlehead

paulbottlehead

Audio Company
How about after I initiate the return we can shoot some donations to the dealer who sold me the amp? (Provided he honors his return policy, which I have no reason to doubt he will do!) Of course, if this one meets its numbers I'll keep it but this is rather unlikely at this point.

Travis

I wouldn't be surprised if Edcor issues a cease and desist using their products over rated values allowing them to be put dangerously into consumers hands. I doubt they want their name listed on the lawsuit even if they are held harmless.
A cease and desist from a component part manufacturer to the end product manufacturer? Allowing them to be put into consumer's hands?

The component part/raw materials doctrine generally stands for the proposition that manufacturers and suppliers of component parts or raw materials integrated into an end product are shielded from liability for injuries sustained by a finished product.

We don't have liability for component part manufacturers in the US, unless the component part is defective. It is impossible for a component part manufacturer to know what end products they are going into or if they are being used in a correct manner.

How about after I initiate the return we can shoot some donations to the dealer who sold me the amp? (Provided he honors his return policy, which I have no reason to doubt he will do!) Of course, if this one meets its numbers I'll keep it but this is rather unlikely at this point.
That is like taking the money from the dealers pocket that is just wrong

Top Bottom