• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Measurements

ECHO3933

Did you open this one upas well to look inside? There was some buzz a few years back on the net about these amps having issues as well and possible issues with OPT's too as well as the Music Angel 845 amp. I was going to get one of these until I saw those posts, changed my mind about them. Went for the VTA-120 after I found out about that amp from a buddy.
The 1st generation Yaqin MC-10L's, from at least 14 years ago, had some issues, but later versions are quite excellent. The transformers are not small by any means.

ECHO3933

That was not a very fun amp to open up, as I remember it having a bunch of plastic standoffs for the main PC board that screw down to the bottom plate, and I think there were 3-4 different types of screws that all went through the bottom panel. I wanted to take the covers off to see what was up, but that ended up being quite a process, so I had to settle for taking output measurements instead.
Great sounding amp and very powerful. Were you able to remove the main top cover (has the holes for biasing, description of tube type, etc printed on it? Removing that will expose the transformers (you can't remove the screws next to each transformer cover until the main cover is removed, ask me how I know LOL). I've owned 3 versions (2nd, 3rd and 4th) of this amp (mine were the MC-10L) over the years but sold them because I wanted remote control. Currently own the Yaqin MS-20L and MC-30L for the last 11 years. These amps weigh about 40ish lbs as I recall, no wimpy 15 watt transformers in these.

Last edited:
OP
paulbottlehead

paulbottlehead

Audio Company
No, I can't even remember why I went into the Yaqin. I think it may have been one of those common situations where the owner thought there was a problem with the amp but it was working fine, then I took it in on trade for something else.

Nutsfortubes

I know I am late to the party but last year I stoped myself from buying one of theses 19 pound weaklings. And got a CJ MV60 in mint condition for $2K. Being a long time member of AK I was surprised to see each thread closed about this junk. So I sent this PM to a super mod.
Ok not to through stones but it is obvious that the 275 is not what it is claimed to be. It’s out put is 15 watts and is not properly grounded. Don’t get me wrong I believe the sound of my HiFi is paramount but I do not want to be lied to by the dealer or manufacturer as well as putting my family in danger. So why can’t there be an open discussion about this amp and honest response from Carver the company not the man. Not only did own a carver a amp and pre in the 80’s I worked at Sight and Sound and sold a lot of Bob’s stuff.

Nutsfortubes

Well I thought Audiokarma was better then this. I guess because Jim Clark is a supporter and sponsor that is more important than the truth.

TriodeLuvr

Did they delete the thread or just lock it down? Sometimes a mod will do the latter just because a thread gets really long and sorta wears out its welcome. :)

Nutsfortubes

My bad had to do another search. Would have been nice if the mod sent this link.
See I am self repairing just like the C215. The first thread had just 2 posts.

egellings

Major Contributor
Carver makes good equipment in general, but that does not absolve him from hiding a walnut of a 15W output transformer under a big can and claiming it can do a wattage that exceeds the little thing's most optimistic yearnings. "You're a great little trannie! You can do it! Rah, rah, rah! (Poor little thing is shaking in its insulation).

Fiddlefye

Carver makes good equipment in general, but that does not absolve him from hiding a walnut of a 15W output transformer under a big can and claiming it can do a wattage that exceeds the little thing's most optimistic yearnings. "You're a great little trannie! You can do it! Rah, rah, rah! (Poor little thing is shaking in its insulation).
;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Just to tangle the Gordian knot of this embarrassing story a wee bit further, and for completeness (for lack of a better word), I take the liberty of cross-referencing this, in case any of you haven't seen it and are still interested in this "story". :(

This is the source of the quoted information:

Top Bottom