• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Amazing Platinum Mark ii

• Thread starter Deleted member 5017
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5017

I discovered ASR a few weeks ago, and after using a UMIK and REW, I thought others would appreciate some info regarding these Plats.

I'll be posting response curves, waterfall, etc as I finalize my (untreated) room EQ...

For now, here are some views of these old monsters.

The front of the right speaker. The silver strips on the left are the aluminum strips (4 of them) 5' long, surrounded by ceramic magnets. After about 35 years of aging, the glue holding the magnets in place began to fail, and when I was replacing the suspension rings, one came loose and partially tore through the left sides ribbon. Thank God for the Circuit Writer pen! The four vertically-aligned 12" woofers hide behind the cloth panel.

Carver_front.jpg

The view from the rear. Bob Carver's genius moment came when he realized that a very low Q woofer's low-end response would RISE, allowing a great-performing woofer to exist.

Carver_rear.jpg

The Mark IV version included a single-piece ribbon section, and tone controls:

Carver_eq.jpg

I am driving these speakers with two, bridged-mode Adcom 555's which supposedly can supply up to 800 watts per channel into less than 8 ohms. The speakers have very low distortion at very loud levels. It's an odd effect when 15-30 Hz tones jiggly your intestines!

OP
D

Deleted member 5017

Here are some data from Room EQ Wizard (REW).

Frequency response after parametric EQ from EqAPO/Peace:
carver l r full eq.png

OP
D

Deleted member 5017

Distortion from the left speaker:
carver left distortion.png

OP
D

Deleted member 5017

Waterfall from the left speaker:
carver left no eq waterfall.png

Attachments

• carver left distortion.png
    carver left distortion.png
    831.4 KB · Views: 141
OP
D

Deleted member 5017

My room layout, and reverberation nodes:
(There's a half wall extending from the left to just past the listener's head on the right. The ceiling is a peak at 12' high).
room nodes.png

Top Bottom