• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cartridge/arm resonance - how far from 10Hz is too far?

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Hi all,

Me again - thanks everyone for their help with my previous questions. I'm narrowing down my MC cartridge options for use with Linn Basik LVX arm (effective mass 12g).

Current top three are:
  • Audio Technica AT33PTG/II
  • Dynavector DV-20X2 L
  • Benz MicroAce SL
I'm leaning towards the Audio Technica, as it offers a line contact stylus, good channel separation and boron cantilever for the lowest price. The one thing holding me back is the calculated resonance frequency - which I've read should be as close to 10Hz as possible.

The AT's quoted dynamic compliance is 10 µm/mN at 100Hz. Apparently this means compliance at 10Hz (the value needed to calculate resonance frequency unless I'm missing something) could be anywhere between 15 and 23µm/mN at 10Hz.

At 15 µm/mN, resonance frequency is a safe 9.33Hz.

But at 23 µm/mN, it drops down to 7.53Hz - is this too low?

For peace of mind, is there any way to calculate resonance frequency when you only have a compliance figure quoted at 100Hz?

Many thanks,

James

dennis h

"For peace of mind, is there any way to calculate resonance frequency when you only have a compliance figure quoted at 100Hz?"

I have been using the multiplier of 1.75 for conversion from 100hz to 10hz
Sorry I do not remember where I got that from
Do not forget to add the weight of attaching hardware to cartridge weight

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Easiest way to see resonance frequency is send TT audio to PC and analyze with software spectrum analyzer. The resonance shows up as a big peak. My cartridges AT VM740ML and Concord ProS with Stylus 40 are both 7-8 Hz with my Technics. Oddly, I've had issues (rare) with the AT resonating out of control and actually skipping. The Concorde never mistracks at all.

Top Bottom