• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cart narcs

Digby

Major Contributor
Americans (and others), what do you think of this guy?

This is a problem that has been mostly eliminated in the UK and probably much of EU by using coin slots on the trolley (cart).

So...is this guy a hero, is he impinging on people's liberties or is he just seeking confrontation for his youtube channel?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
shopping cart theory.jpeg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just return them as a form of virtue signalling. Am I still a great guy?

/;)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So...is this guy a hero, is he impinging on people's liberties or is he just seeking confrontation for his youtube channel?
Yes on all I guess :facepalm:

If these people spend as much effort in bringing the F-ing cart back as being angry, the world would be a much better place.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The cart, at least, got returned. Who cares about the motive?
I was under the impression I was to return the cart out of the goodness of my own heart, not the hypocrisy of my soul :)

egellings

Major Contributor
I do it to help minimize the workload of the store employee who rounds up the carts. It costs me nothing to return the cart to the cart stand, and the time needed to do that is trivial, much less than a minute. I in no way feel holier than thou doing that. It's just a common human decency.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do it to help minimize the workload of the store employee who rounds up the carts. It costs me nothing to return the cart to the cart stand, and the time needed to do that is trivial, much less than a minute.
Yes, in reality I feel some sympathy, too. Although frankly the guy is running around the parking lot gathering up stray carts, so mine may not even cause a ripple. I bet on a nice day it's not a bad job. On a crappy day, though...

KEFCarver

Americans (and others), what do you think of this guy?

This is a problem that has been mostly eliminated in the UK and probably much of EU by using coin slots on the trolley (cart).

Thanks for posting this! Hilarious reactions from a bunch of jerks- couldn't stop watching the video. I give the guy a lot of credit! I put my cart back where it should go 99% of the time. The 1% that I don't is because the wheel(s) locked up because the cart thought I was too far away- which I was not- and then I will put it out of the way at least. Here in Tucson only one store shop at requires a quarter or 50cents (refundable upon cart return) to get a cart. I will probably watch a few more of those videos.

egellings

Major Contributor
Yes, in reality I feel some sympathy, too. Although frankly the guy is running around the parking lot gathering up stray carts, so mine may not even cause a ripple. I bet on a nice day it's not a bad job. On a crappy day, though...
Still, every little bit helps.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
if youre virtual signalling and no one sees it then isnt this the "tree falling in the woods and no one hears it" schrodingers cat?

at this point does it matter if you do a dookie in there too? because its just some poor schleb on minimum wage going to be affected

IMO do what you want... the world has enough problems without deep philosophicals about shopping carts

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
IMO do what you want... the world has enough problems without deep philosophicals about shopping carts
I'm not sure what you mean? Are you pro or anti returning the cart?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure what you mean? Are you pro or anti returning the cart?
There's also a certain irony with him philosophizing about my joke :D

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
if everyone returned their cart, the employee would be out of a job. Think how pissed off he would be if that were the case.
I think there is a firm argument on why leaving your cart next to your car is THE RIGHT THING TO DO

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
if everyone returned their cart, the employee would be out of a job. Think how pissed off he would be if that were the case.
I think there is a firm argument on why leaving your cart next to your car is THE RIGHT THING TO DO
Well...kinda. At my grocery store the guy is in charge of stacking the carts neatly and bringing them back from the remote drop-off locations. I think he could deal with less work.

egellings

Major Contributor
The cart roundup person most likely has a lot of other work to do, so returning carts to their corral is a reasonable thing to do. If nothing else, it sends a message of good will.

Top Bottom