• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cardioid Loudspeakers - Are they worth it?

ferrellms

Wouldn’t a cardioid speaker be rather useless in a home theatre setup where you have subs? Seems like a lot of them have pretty high distortion in the 150 and under range anyway.
I’d cross them over to subs just like my towers. So if you are using subs with them do they still benefit?
Wouldn’t a cardioid speaker be rather useless in a home theatre setup where you have subs? Seems like a lot of them have pretty high distortion in the 150 and under range anyway.
I’d cross them over to subs just like my towers. So if you are using subs with them do they still benefit?
If my experience with Kii 3 is any indication, subwoofers are an expensive and unneeded hassle. In a big home theater, maybe, but the BXT extensions are also cardioid. Cardiod subwoofers are common in pro applications, and just work better if you do need a subwoofer.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
An intriguing test reveals the measurement of a freestanding big horn with coaxial behavior, as well as measurements with 1, 2, and 3 boundaries. Interestingly, the test also demonstrates that coaxial behavior is not advantageous at subwoofer frequencies, as the boundaries prove to be more useful.

Top Bottom