• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

cardas gold ref cables

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
It's all snake oil to the die hard members.

Hopefully it's not a legal requirement that you need to be a "die hard member" in order to be severely sceptical about audible differences in cables. Personally I'd like to encourage all members to be so, regardless of seniority or emotional commitment. I see no downside.

Your topic get derailed pretty quickly.

We're still on topic.

No talk about pizza or wristwatches... yet.

Grumpish

Hopefully it's not a legal requirement that you need to be a "die hard member" in order to be severely sceptical about audible differences in cables. Personally I'd like to encourage all members to be so, regardless of seniority or emotional commitment. I see no downside.

We're still on topic.

No talk about pizza or wristwatches... yet.

True. I actually lean towards the subjective side (measurements are a good filter, but at the end of the day it is my preference that matters to me), but I have long been sceptical about cables - the only time I ever heard any difference was switching in some (DIY) low capacitance cables tube phono preamp->passive preamp->tube power amp.

JP

Major Contributor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I fully expect an invite when the tomatoes come in.
Season ended about a week or two ago. You still have an invite- Cynthia put up about 50 quarts.

JP

Major Contributor
Season ended about a week or two ago. You still have an invite- Cynthia put up about 50 quarts.

Yes, meant next, but happy to dig in to the stockpile. Neighbor grew some nice gold medals this year - pretty nice for caprese.

naviivan

What would you say are more appropriate places to discuss such nonsense?
Superbestaudio friends, audio circle, stereo net, audio style, anywhere else but here.
Just like you wouldn't praise measurements or Chinese made audio gear on SBAF. Know the culture of each forum before posting.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Speaking of speaker cables. Why is there so little talk about practical aspects of them? I'm thinking of reviews in commercial media now.

Why is there hardly any meaningful information when reading reviews about speaker cables? Why can I not read about, for example, what colors they are available for? More clearly information how or if you can buy per unit of length X at price Y? Just to name a few aspects that may actually be of interest.

If for example What Hifi feels such a need to waffle about subjective experiences so instead of this, when reviewing speaker cables:

AudioQuest Rocket 11
+ Clean, precise and fluid sound

Chord Company RumourX
+ Promotes a lively, cohesive sound
-Rivals offer more refinement

Chord Company C-Screen
+ Full-bodied, warm and expressive
+ Helps your system’s punch and drive
-Some rivals offer more detail / space

... Instead, tell us how they are working with based on how stiff they are. Are they easy to bend or very stiff? .It is of practical importance when you have to place the speaker cables yourself. Of course it would be based on a subjective experience. But that subjective experience I take every day of the week compared to what I quoted above from What Hifi.

Edit:
I think I realize the answer to my question why What Hifi writes as they do current review speaker cable. I figured it out right now:
You little naive sheep
(money advertisers and so on)

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So you want reviewers to give you actual usable and practical advice? Not in this universe…

DanielT

Major Contributor
So you want reviewers to give you actual usable and practical advice? Not in this universe…
They write a bit about practical details, price and so on BUT more such practical details that I would at least like to see more of.:)

Why not satisfy both the objectivists and the subjectivists? Two sections in a review:
Section with usable and practical advice
..and...
Subjective listening impressions

So you can read what you want. Then I would skip the subjective part and just read the about usable and practical advice.Okay the answer is probably the same there. Not in this universe.:)

Edit:
But nowadays with the internet and forums like ASR, you can fortunately get sensible practical tips and advice.:)

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
What would you say are more appropriate places to discuss such nonsense?

1635781103308.png

1635781146714.png

Katji

Major Contributor
Borrowing this from @Katji

index.php

Jennifer Lawrence. ...

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/jennifer-lawrence
Jennifer Lawrence is an award-winning American actress best known for her starring role as Katniss Everdeen in the 2012 sci-fi action film adaptation of The Hunger Games. Online, her awkward interviews and seemingly down-to-earth personality have earned her a large fanbase [...]
... Following her 2013 Oscars appearance, Jezebel[12] compiled a list of reasons why many fans consider Lawrence an accessible celebrity they could theoretically be best friends with, noting her continued references to food as well as her penchant for making strange faces and not being afraid to speak her mind candidly on camera.

And there are a lot of "Jennifer Lawrence Funny Moments" videos on Youtube...

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
Detroit-style pizza, or you assembled a Shinola wristwatch?
This is one of our DIY activities. Even have the right hardware storage pan.

1635791917473.png

hmm, I should shift this, to the food thread. Not that it's a problem here, it's an upgrade, we've already upgraded the thread, but just for reference, and order. And so on. :)

Reactions: SIY
Top Bottom