• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

cardas gold ref cables

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This topic was started in may... How does it pop up 6 months later??

audio2design

Major Contributor
In an ideal world, we would be able to conduct research and find out why, scientifically, audio gear sounds the way it does. It involves a very – very complex interrelationship between materials, their purity, build, electricity, EMI, RFI and many – many other factors. Many phenomena in audio unfortunately are not yet totally backed up by science. That does not mean these things are non existen, and that we should not talk about them.

Would it be inappropriate to quote George Carlin at this point?

JSmith

Master Contributor
How does it pop up 6 months later??
This new member necro'd the thread;

Pizza hut called this style a "Bigfoot" pizza many years ago in Australia. :D

JSmith

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
This topic was started in may... How does it pop up 6 months later??

Seems to be a recurring theme: New member finds a thread that died quickly for obvious reasons. Instead of doing an autopsy they just lock on to the original BS statement and reboot it. The old members find the lack of situation awareness amusing and act like cocky knobs (guilty as charged). New member gets butt-hurt and announces their departure from the forum. Rinse and repeat.

What I really don't understand is why so many new members has this specific head-on approach. A bit of lurking and a post in this thread would do wonders to avoid all this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...members-to-asr-introduce-yourself-here.20204/

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems to be a recurring theme: New member finds a thread that died quickly for obvious reasons. Instead of doing an autopsy they just lock on to the original BS statement and reboot it. The old members find the lack of situation awareness amusing and act like cocky knobs (guilty as charged). New member gets butt-hurt and announces their departure from the forum. Rinse and repeat.

What I really don't understand is why so many new members has this specific head-on approach. A bit of lurking and a post in this thread would do wonders to avoid all this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...members-to-asr-introduce-yourself-here.20204/
I've never read things that way and I think you nail'd it.

audio2design

Major Contributor

Given their lack of self-awareness w.r.t. their limitation in hearing, why would you expect self-awareness in general?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I don't expect it. I know it's a luxury... or a curse, depending on how you look at it.

JamesRF

Well, not so much bait as good natured ribbing. @19lexicon78 , you started a thread that states you like this speaker cable. Ok. Since you are relatively new here, and possibly a non-native english speaker (?), I will explain the reasoning behind my teasing your post.

I would suggest to you that much of what you like about that cable is what your subconscious is telling you, and is NOT based on the sound that is reaching your ears. You have a positive correlation with this cable, based on its advertising, its appearance and its price. Surely, to look like it does, and cost as much as it does, it must be better, right? Well, maybe - but likely not.
Through extensive testing and application of the scientific method, it has been discovered that much (not all, but most) of the equipment that is considered "high end"- such as very pricey speaker cable - is no better, in fact even worse, than much less expensive products.
Speaker cable is a great example. It carries an electrical signal. This is a pretty basic electrical function. If the cable is competently built and of sufficient gauge for it's purpose, it will be indistinguishable from others.

The science of psychoacoustics tells us our brain can "trick" us into believing we are hearing differences that are not there. Even accepting this is true does not stop the belief that you are hearing differences.

So how can we tell if we are dealing with real or imagined differences? A (preferably double) blind test. If you were to have someone else change out the cables without you knowing, could you tell the difference? A switchbox setup for immediate switching would be ideal as auditory memory is very short. If you could identify a difference (much less a preference) for a statistically significant number of guesses (say you guess right on which cable you are listening to 9 out of 10 times), then you have proven there is likely an auditory difference between the cables. If not, then you have proven that your preference is imagined.
Unfortunately, these types of blind tests can be difficult to setup and are time consuming, so most people don't bother to conduct them. Those tests that have been run have shown that psychoacoustics is very real and very powerful.

Although it can be humbling to learn this, it can also save you a lot of money! You can put your money into equipment that really does make a difference, instead of someone's really successful marketing and branding campaign.
Note that visual appeal and brand pride are real and can have real value to you - just be aware of what you are paying for. There is much more information on this here at ASR.
Welcome to ASR and I hope you stick around and learn things that are valuable to you.

Cheers,
Dkinric
This is breathtakingly condescending. A series of unsupported assertions. Tested by whom? Discovered by whom? What equipment are you talking about? Who describes it as 'high end'? I don't know what this is, but it isn't science. BEWARE THE SELF-APPOINTED EXPERT.

TimF

Forum Donor
Health food stores are stuffed full of supplements that will cure you of everything and give you eternal youth. And audio cables with six nines copper, and/or single crystal copper beat all other cables by far. And there is silver coated copper cable. And solid silver digital cable. But by far the best is gold cable made from pawned wedding rings. Nothing beats that cable.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is breathtakingly condescending. A series of unsupported assertions. Tested by whom? Discovered by whom? What equipment are you talking about? Who describes it as 'high end'? I don't know what this is, but it isn't science. BEWARE THE SELF-APPOINTED EXPERT.
you've just quoted an 18month old post. Don't expect a rapid response. :D

If you want to find answers for yourself, you could start by reading here:

Then also read some of the cable reviews/tests carried out by your host.

EDIT
Just by way of example, here is a review Amir has done of an expensive speaker cable. Posted today (How convenient). It shows no difference, compared to a no name 12guage cable. All tests of cables (which meet the basic requirement of low resistance) show the same.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I don't know what this is, but it isn't science. BEWARE THE SELF-APPOINTED EXPERT.

You don't have to be an expert. Any hands-on experience with real life component level electronics will do.

I'm a simple electronics technician, and the experience I've gotten from having that profession is enough to make the claims about "cable sound" preposterous to me.

There are tons of members in here who have way more experience with signal processing and transmission than me, but, from what I can tell, that additional knowledge and experience only helps to cement the ridiculousness of the claims, making it a serious challenge to avoid being "breathtakingly condescending" when commenting them.

RCL parameters at audio frequencies and their interaction with connected impedances are neither rocket science nor an art form.

The mechanisms that can trick us into hearing things that aren't really there, on the other hand, are being disregarded by many audiophiles, despite them being well understood by science ;)

Just picture this: If the high-end audio industry had really discovered some previously unknown effect in cables that are decremental to audio signals, those effects would be absolutely devastating to RF applications. None of the electronics people enjoy in their everyday life would have any hope of functioning. All over the planet engineers would be running around like headless chickens, bewildered by the fact that every time they plug a cable into any piece of electronics, it stops working as intended.

Call it condescending if you will, but the idea that the high-end audio industry sits on secrets unknown to any other field of electronics, is incredibly naive.

The people who manufacture and/or sell these BS products rely on themselves being accepted as "experts" keeping their fingers crossed that the customers won't seek out the rudimentary knowledge of physics, electronics and psychology needed to see through it.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the laugh!

Top Bottom