• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

cardas gold ref cables

19lexicon78

well,
i like these.
i like the cardas golden reference. it's far overpriced. just nutss
i like mogami 2549 alot=more natural than natural. love this cable. coupled with neutrik,best bang for the buck

but the cardas golden reference gives it a swing, this cable gives me a smile. i know, it's tone is not natural.
it's about time cardas gold ref for 1 euro/meter. that would be nice
i dont know why this cable is 1000 euro/meter, it's stupid even when it's gives a smile.
still, i like this one

Gregss

well,
i like these.
i like mogami 2549 alot=more natural than natural. love this cable. coupled with neutrik,best bang for the buck

but the cardas golden reference gives it a swing, this cable gives me a smile. i know, it's tone is not natural.
i dont know why this cable is 1000 euro/meter, it's stupid even when it's gives a smile.
still, i like this one

Hi,

Bottom line is because some will pay that much. Free market.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be curious as to how they test.

Back in my audiophile days, I used Cardas GRFA RCA jacks and GRCM RCA plugs extensively, loved the looks of the shiny rhodium platings, but the connectors seemed to wear out quickly, and I found myself constantly jiggling them to restore signal - 100% distortion! In that sense, I felt they were significantly worse than typical consumer grade connectors stamped out of thin but springy metal. My newer builds look less impressive in that sense, but I'm no longer plagued by signal outages.

Katji

Major Contributor
well,
i like these.

still, i like this one

Allright, yeah right - OK, fine -- seh6p.gif

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I used to use cardas golden reference as my go to speaker cable for 4-8 ft runs, then moved on to their Clear Reflection cable later on - I appreciated that the propagation velocity of the conductor is matched to that of the dielectric material.
If you like the sound of these, you may want to check out First Run Copper cables. They use extra-virgin copper and the difference to other cables is like night and day.

http://firstruncopper.com/

Reviews are overwhelmingly positive:

Rip City Dave

I used to use cardas golden reference as my go to speaker cable for 4-8 ft runs, then moved on to their Clear Reflection cable later on - I appreciated that the propagation velocity of the conductor is matched to that of the dielectric material.
If you like the sound of these, you may want to check out First Run Copper cables. They use extra-virgin copper and the difference to other cables is like night and day.

http://firstruncopper.com/

Reviews are overwhelmingly positive:

Like a veil being lifted.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
This is bait, don't take the bait.

dkinric

Well, not so much bait as good natured ribbing. @19lexicon78 , you started a thread that states you like this speaker cable. Ok. Since you are relatively new here, and possibly a non-native english speaker (?), I will explain the reasoning behind my teasing your post.

I would suggest to you that much of what you like about that cable is what your subconscious is telling you, and is NOT based on the sound that is reaching your ears. You have a positive correlation with this cable, based on its advertising, its appearance and its price. Surely, to look like it does, and cost as much as it does, it must be better, right? Well, maybe - but likely not.
Through extensive testing and application of the scientific method, it has been discovered that much (not all, but most) of the equipment that is considered "high end"- such as very pricey speaker cable - is no better, in fact even worse, than much less expensive products.
Speaker cable is a great example. It carries an electrical signal. This is a pretty basic electrical function. If the cable is competently built and of sufficient gauge for it's purpose, it will be indistinguishable from others.

The science of psychoacoustics tells us our brain can "trick" us into believing we are hearing differences that are not there. Even accepting this is true does not stop the belief that you are hearing differences.

So how can we tell if we are dealing with real or imagined differences? A (preferably double) blind test. If you were to have someone else change out the cables without you knowing, could you tell the difference? A switchbox setup for immediate switching would be ideal as auditory memory is very short. If you could identify a difference (much less a preference) for a statistically significant number of guesses (say you guess right on which cable you are listening to 9 out of 10 times), then you have proven there is likely an auditory difference between the cables. If not, then you have proven that your preference is imagined.
Unfortunately, these types of blind tests can be difficult to setup and are time consuming, so most people don't bother to conduct them. Those tests that have been run have shown that psychoacoustics is very real and very powerful.

Although it can be humbling to learn this, it can also save you a lot of money! You can put your money into equipment that really does make a difference, instead of someone's really successful marketing and branding campaign.
Note that visual appeal and brand pride are real and can have real value to you - just be aware of what you are paying for. There is much more information on this here at ASR.
Welcome to ASR and I hope you stick around and learn things that are valuable to you.

Cheers,
Dkinric

OP

19lexicon78

@dkinric
yes, you are right.
well i like the cardas IC. compared to the mogami it's less natural. even with it's flaws, the Cardas gives me a smile. these are older cables and i wouldn't buy cardas anymore, because mogami's are overall better and far cheaper.
i learned alot from gearslutz
what i did learn thanks to amir. which DAC and headphone-amp i had to choose. 2 years ago i would never thought you could buy this kind of sound quality for these prices. i used to buy older professional audio equipment because nobody wanted those and i bought these for 90% off newprice. unfortunate these older audio pieces, like EMT, telefunken, nagra, studer are becoming real expensive. so, that ended my pro-audio hobby.

dkinric

You know what man, if your cables still give you a smile, then those are good cables. They have intrinsic value to you, and if they help you connect with the emotion of the music, that's what it's all about!

MichaelV

Speaking of DIY interconnects cables and RCA connectors:
First of all to praise Mogami 2549 as a cable that has humiliated cables worth hundreds, even thousands of € or $.
In contrast IMHO Cardas Golden Reference is a cable too much colored with strongly accented edges (LF and HF) (something like the loudness of the amps of older technology) and loose MF. This was not the case with the older Cardas Golden Cross, which was a lot less colored.

Recently I've been very extensively experimenting with which RCA connectors (and which one the corresponding solder) best match the excellent Mogami 2549. Here are the results (in my own setup, in my own listening space and of course for my own ears and tastes):

For the best solder (experimenting between WBT, Cardas, Wonder, Mudorf Supreme) I found Mudorf by far better with controlled LF, correct and eloquent MF, and extremely transparent, but also crisp HF). However, this requires special dexterity and speed of soldering, as well as a suitable soldering apparatus (certainly up to 450o Celsius) because it contains a very high percentage of silver (9%) and gold.

Regarding the RCA connectors:
- WBT Nextgen 0110: neutral with controlled LF, quiet, transparent and crisp but not overemphasized HF, but a bit light weighty and too much polite (a bit lack of body and macro-dynamics) for my tastes.
- KLEI Absolute Harmony: Too much luss for my tastes, with weak and stumped HF and flabby though extensive LF, but with very sweet MF.
- Linn (Linn’s part number Conn 477/3, the ones that Linn uses with Mogami 2549 on its flagship Klimax LP12 as phono cable): Excellent in all areas. The best.
- Cardas GRCM: Excellent in all areas. Too close to Linn.
- Unfortunately, most of the cheap RCA Connectors (such as Switchcraft, Neutric, Amphenol, HiCon, etc.) without dramatically degrading the excellent Mogami 2549, they fail to highlight the truly exceptional capabilities of this excellent cable as a semi-ballanced (rca to rca) interconnect.

tw99

First of all to praise Mogami 2549 as a cable that has humiliated cables worth hundreds, even thousands of € or $.
In contrast IMHO Cardas Golden Reference is a cable too much colored with strongly accented edges (LF and HF) (something like the loudness of the amps of older technology) and loose MF. This was not the case with the older Cardas Golden Cross, which was a lot less colored.

Recently I've been very extensively experimenting with which RCA connectors (and which one the corresponding solder) best match the excellent Mogami 2549. Here are the results (in my own setup, in my own listening space and of course for my own ears and tastes):

For the best solder (experimenting between WBT, Cardas, Wonder, Mudorf Supreme) I found Mudorf by far better with controlled LF, correct and eloquent MF, and extremely transparent, but also crisp HF). However, this requires special dexterity and speed of soldering, as well as a suitable soldering apparatus (certainly up to 450o Celsius) because it contains a very high percentage of silver (9%) and gold.

- WBT Nextgen 0110: neutral with controlled LF, quiet, transparent and crisp but not overemphasized HF, but a bit light weighty and too much polite (a bit lack of body and macro-dynamics) for my tastes.
- KLEI Absolute Harmony: Too much luss for my tastes, with weak and stumped HF and flabby though extensive LF, but with very sweet MF.
- Linn (Linn’s part number Conn 477/3, the ones that Linn uses with Mogami 2549 on its flagship Klimax LP12 as phono cable): Excellent in all areas. The best.
- Unfortunately, most of the cheap RCA Connectors (such as Switchcraft, Neutric, Amphenol, HiCon, etc.) without dramatically degrading the excellent Mogami 2549, they fail to highlight the truly exceptional capabilities of this excellent cable as a semi-ballanced (rca to rca) interconnect.

You registered with the wrong forum to tell us about your imagined differences between different types of solder. Really there is no end to audiophile lunacy...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

DanielT

Major Contributor
Uh, ... cardas golden reference....okay.

No, run down to some flea market instead. It's good with recycling, the environment and all that. You can find cables at flea markets. Nice to go out and move around a bit. Meet some nice people, talk a little nonsense with others. Hang out with similar nuts (I'm one of those) who go to flea markets and buy electronics. Nice with good coffee and a flea market sandwich too.:)

This flea market seems nice. Unfortunately not that flea market goes on but still.
vintage-radio-receivers-tv-speakers-other-old-electronic-devices-jaffa-flea-market-store-shelv...jpg

You can always put on nice socks on ugly cables. If you like to do it, that is, see the attached picture.

Attachments

• kabelstrumpa-ljudbyggaren-500x500.jpg
    kabelstrumpa-ljudbyggaren-500x500.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Borrowing this from @Katji
1635592189910.png

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It's awful when cables get humiliated. They end up hanging out on street corners and mugging tourists to try to regain some of their self-esteem.

Top Bottom