• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Car stuff

@amirm I’d really like to see some more high end car audio stuff tested. You did those Alpine PDX’s which showed that the typical limitations of Class D amplifiers can be overcome and a truly amazing Class D amplifier can be engineered and was also a breath of fresh air for the car audio community. Some of us live in apartments and condos and aren’t able to enjoy a really nice home system without disturbing the neighbors, so our cars are really the only place we have to enjoy quality audio. I’d really like to see some Zapco, Mosconi, Hertz, Audison, Brax, Tru Technology, and maybe even some AudioFrog stuff for both amplifiers and DSP’s tested. I’m sure some of these high end companies have really gotten it right like Alpine did with the PDX’s. I’d also like to see some of the “entry level” stuff from the same brands tested to see how their “budget” models perform, such as Alpine’s S-Series. Granted I would be totally surprised if they performed as well as the top shelf stuff, but I would like to see if they maintain at least a respectable performance level even at a budget price point. I know that the Alpine S-Series stuff is really some of the best selling stuff on the market in the mainstream world. $220 for a 4-channel amp or mono subwoofer amp, or $400 for a 5-channel amp. They sound clean and produce very respectable power numbers for their price, but I’d like to see them under the microscope just as I would the other “SQ” brands of the car audio world. Yeah, there are a bunch of cheap brands out there like Skar, DS18, Taramps, Stetsom, PRV, Boss, Dual (which the Dual amp did surprisingly well when you tested it, but you may not have had a good benchmark at the time and your opinion may be different now), but those brands are more for pure SPL for those types of people that just want loud and don’t care about the clarity/quality. I want to see the stuff that is marketed as Sound Quality stuff. Maybe some of your followers own some of these amps and would be willing to loan you an amp or two to test. I have another PDX-V9 you can test if you’d like since the owner came back and said that he found a bad preamp ribbon cable and had it repaired by Alpine. The V9 may actually do even better than your original data shows, possibly even as good as the F6 which I know you were very pleased with.

Top Bottom