• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Captain Beefheart

Shakeydeal

I am not a regular member here, but I was given permission by a moderator to make this post. I will not get personal, only give the facts.

captainbeefheart, who is a member here, is also a member on the Klipsch Community forum. He has offered a great deal of technical advice on that forum just as he has here. He seemed like a very nice guy, very personable. When the subject of amplifier builds came up in the forum, myself and another forum member reached out to the captain to initiate a build for each of us. This was in early February 2022.

Initially it was supposed to take a couple of months, three at the most. For full disclosure, we only paid for the parts up front. He was doing this as a favor because he likes projects such as this. It was my intention (and I conveyed this to him) to pay him a handsome "tip" for building the amp. So I sent him 1000.00 in three payments. I used F&F instead a CC (my mistake) so he wouldn't have to pay a fee to receive the money. This is something I wouldn't normally do, but we had several long PMs and exchanges on the forum and I felt like he was trustworthy. There was a thread regarding the amp build on the forum in the beginning, but I think it's gone now. So yes, I was a gullible participant in this. In 30+ years of buying and selling on the internet, this was my first negative experience.

At first, things seemed great. There was good communication about the process. I sent the first payment on 2/9/22 and the last payment was made on 4/3/22. After that, things got a little dicey. There would be weeks between emails and sometimes he wouldn't respond unless I reached out several times. At the time of the last payment, he promised it would be ready in two weeks. When that didn't happen, the next promise of shipment was by the end of May. No luck. Then on 6/13, said it would ship in a week. So you get the idea.

To be fair, the design did change a few times at my request. So I understand the missed ship dates in the beginning. The summer and fall went by with excuses of illness, house fire, family surgery, issues at work, etc. I tried to be as patient as I could and just let it play out.

In November, a moderator on the klipsch forum reached out to me and the other individual to ask what the status of the amps was. This had been an item of discussion in the forums and members were constantly sending me PMs to ask about the progress. During this time, the captain sold some other items on the forum and didn't follow through with shipping. Complaints were made in the forum and to moderators so they now had him on their radar. Eventually he returned the money to the other members, but this took a couple of months.

So in early December we asked for a deadline of 1/5/23 to ship the first amp (mine) with the other amp soon to follow. According to the captain, mine was about 90% complete at that time. He not only agreed to the deadline, but even said he would like to get it to me by Christmas. Well 1/5 came and went with no shipment. The excuse was long work hours. We went back and forth on this a few times with more promises to ship. The next day, then the next, then by the weekend, etc. Until finally he just stopped communicating. No reply to texts or emails, no answer on his cell phone. I realize now that my money is gone. I've only seen one picture of the amp several months ago and nothing since. I have asked for more detailed pictures several times since then with no luck. So I'm not even sure the amp exists.

So my only hope is that no one else suffers the same fate. I'm sure he will materialize again here or somewhere else with a new screen name

Last edited:

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to hear. There is nothing i hate more than to hear about people getting scammed.
Thanks for the heads up and hope you eventually get some sort of happy ending.

Soandso

The referenced poster talked lots of amplifier technical talk starting on thread 'VTA ST-70 Review" the day joined ASR on 18 April 2022, even going on to offer personal help. I don't know what ASR designation of "Senior Member" entails. But if it intimates advanced age then specific cognitive issues while taking on too many projects, rather than nefarious intent, may account for failure to deliver to O.P. Shakeydeal. Irregardless, the O.P.'s distressing issues are worth learning about.
A82F10E1-E23C-4189-999D-A23C82F76DEE.jpeg

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
The referenced poster talked lots of amplifier technical talk starting on thread 'VTA ST-70 Review" the day joined ASR on 18 April 2022, even going on to offer personal help. I don't know what ASR designation of "Senior Member" entails. But if it intimates advanced age then specific cognitive issues while taking on too many projects, rather than nefarious intent, may account for failure to deliver to O.P. Shakeydeal. Irregardless, the O.P.'s distressing issues are worth learning about.
View attachment 279738
No Senior does not relate to members old of age.

Thread 'ASR Forum Member Tag/Title Descriptions'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...sr-forum-member-tag-title-descriptions.38044/

@captainbeefheart is no longer a member and the warning is only prudent.

Oddiofyl

He talks a lot of talk but is a complete hack, and thief. Good riddance to him

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fraud is widespread today. This type of fraud where there is an underlying business transaction is rarely prosecuted because it must be proved the vendor never intended to deliver a product or service. That's very difficult. If payment is required in advance, especially if you can't use a credit card, that's a red flag.

Oddiofyl

This amp is again being advertised in the NH Craigslist. Nottingham NH. What a scumbag

Top Bottom