• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Capital Audiofest -November 5th to 7th

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Visited the site again recently and there are a number of manufacturers added. See this brands link for confirmed exhibitors. Excited about this because a few weeks back Philarmonic was one of the only ones listed, and I would have gone anyway just to hear Dennis Murphy's BMRs. Now includes Focal, Magico, B&W, Joseph, Harbeth, Audeze, Marantz, Hegel, McIntosh, Lyngdorf etc. As long as I'm not traveling for work I'll be there at least one day since it is local for me. Anyone else plan on going?

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
I've been planning on going but now I may have a work conflict. I won't know for another couple of weeks.

BenB

I'm trying to put together a list of the rooms with the most interesting speaker designs... anyone else doing something like that? Perhaps we can compare notes. Personally, I'm not interested in headphones or amps or cables or record cleaners.

OP
Colonel7

Colonel7

I'm trying to put together a list of the rooms with the most interesting speaker designs... anyone else doing something like that? Perhaps we can compare notes. Personally, I'm not interested in headphones or amps or cables or record cleaners.
I have similar interests although I'm sure I'll check out some of the amp manufacturers. I've made a list of exhibitors that are showcasing or maybe showcasing their own loudspeaker designs (+ Funk for subwoofers). There are a few here that have a loudspeaker or two but it's not their primary business, so not sure but included them anyway. I could have missed a few too. The list is in alphabetical order.

Border Patrol – 316

Bowers &Wilkins – 548 and 550

Canton – 325

Credo – Plaza III

Fern & Roby – 516

Focal – 548 and 550

Funk – 307

Fyne – 319

Gryphon – Democracy

Harbeth – 548 and 550

Joseph – Montgomery, 317, and 508

Kharma – Monroe

Larsen – 307

Magico – 548 and 550

McIntosh – 548 and 550

NOLA – Roosevelt

Ocean Way – TBD

Paradigm - 548 and 550

Philarmonic – 306

Salk – 512

Sonus Faber – 548 and 550

TAD – Plaza III

Volti – 316

Von Schweikert – Potomac

BenB

Here's the list I came up with independently, but I'm going to give it backwards. I'll list the room, and then what brands are on display. I noticed that many shared a room, so figured this might make it easier to prioritize the rooms:

Adams : Arion Audio
Democracy : Gryphon & SGR Hifi
Eisenhower : Overture
Frederick : Genesis
Jackson : Bending Wave and Goebel
Jefferson : Arion Audio, Raidho
Monroe : Kharma
Potomac : Von Schweikert
Plaza III : TAD and T+A
Roosevelt : GT Audioworks, and Nola
Twinbrook : Borresen Acoustics
306 : Philharmonic Audio
307 : Funk Audio and Larson
325 : Canton
512 : Salk Sound
525 : Audio NEC
526: Spatial Audio
548 and 550 : Lyngdorf, Overture, Paradigm, Sonus Faber

I left a few speaker manufacturers off this list if their stuff was too ordinary, or if they used horns with the type of profile I typically find objectionable. I'll want to compare my list to those of others. I'm still not sure what day I'm going.

OP
Colonel7

Colonel7

I will probably go on Friday during the day. Possibly Sunday too but depends on whether my soccer kid games get rescheduled from this weekend to next due to the flooding

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
I'm still holding Friday open so I can go, but not sure if work will intrude.

ribosradagast

I'm looking forward to hearing the BMR Tower there this weekend! Get pumped!

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
yesterday afternoon a meeting got scheduled for 100 pm today, which pretty much torpedos my ability to visit the show today.

OP
Colonel7

Colonel7

Unexpectedly my morning opened up so I made the drive over and hit about a dozen rooms in 2 hours. I'm hoping to go back Sunday and get to the rooms I haven't visited yet plus listen longer to a few that I really liked. I just did loudspeakers.

I'll start out with the likes. Dennis Murphy's BMR Towers in Room 306 are fantastic and were by far my favorites. There is no sweet spot, or more accurately, it's everywhere. Imaging, soundstage, and depth are great. He played some Leonard Bernstein and some Pink Floyd, as well as some female vocals that showed off the BMR mids and the RAAL. The Revelator in combination with the T-line are something else. Dennis has a track of O-zone percussion (it was like a 3-4 minute version of jazz variants I think) that really shows off the Scan Speak; just full and incredibly clear. Not as fun but he also played an organ version of God Save the Queen. I don't have the budget right now but I seriously thought of just ordering them and figuring the $3700 financials out later. Run, don't walk to get your BMR Towers. I really liked the BMR monitor but the Tower is just another level. Also heard Dennis' new version of the Affordable Accuracy with the Dayton classic 6.5" and the Dayton Silkie that is outstanding for what it is. the Philarmonic Audio room was nice and cool using that Ncore...
1636137940792.jpeg

It was close to a toss-up between my other 2 favorites but I'll go with the Perlisten S7t and D215 subwoofers in the Montrose Room (Tenacious Sound). They get LOUD without distortion and with great clarity and not breaking a sweat. It was about 97db and I didn't think it was close to that until I pulled up my audiotool app. Some guy asked for some Billie Eilish to hear what the subs could do. A lot of head nodding around the room but I just don't get listening to intentionally distorted bass. Impressive? Absolutely. $29K (Edit: 38k, the subs are 9k each, not per pair) impressive for the towers and subwoofers? I'd take the BMR Towers first and figure out how to integrate a couple decent subs later, even if I could afford the Perlistens. I'll give them some more time Sunday just to make sure. ;)

1636138812477.jpeg

Just about even with the Perlisten were some yet to be named towers by Jim Salk in room 512. Dual purifis with a Beryllium tweeter (don't know which one) and a 4 inch rear port. Jim said they are working on a slot port design too, and he's thinking these will retail for about $6K (a pair I believe). Right off the bat I just really enjoyed the tonality and how they sounded natural without struggling, plus went surprisingly low. I know how the Purifis measure but it's like a magician doing a trick. I didn't get as much time as I would have liked with them to hear more challenging tracks (thought I heard a resonance in one but not sure, could have been the recording), which I hope to do Sunday. Jim also had a pair of 9.5s on the side of the room that I hope he showcases on Sunday. Points for Salk: after a bunch of woo woo rooms I visited he was playing tracks with the Salk Streamer that he was quick to tell someone who asked that it is Raspberry Pi 3(+?).
1636139432954.jpeg
Quick rundown of some other rooms - I enjoyed the Volti room because I really hadn't sat down and listen to a horn and high sensitivity speakers. Not my cup of tea but I can see how some folks like the dynamism. Major bonus points for me as they were playing Symphonic Dances by Rachmaninoff; I gave them an extended listen because of that. I think I was listening to the Razz model.

B&W 801D4s were just too bright for me.

MC Audiotech's funky Forty-10 speakers? I think the Forty is for $40K, no kidding. I honestly thought they sounded like 2 mono speakers.

Also heard some open baffle speakers that somehow made piano sound dull; can't remember the brand. Bache...meh; a guy was trying to convince his friend that if he put his head in just the right place that they imaged well.

NOLA, not sure what to make of a set of speakers where they play one Cat Stevens acoustic song over and over, and didn't engage me enough with limited time to try. Could they be nice? Dunno.

I've gotta say, I just can't stand audiophile music that is a guitar and a solo vocalist. I'm not big on when they opt for the vinyl over streaming or cd, and the room is all stuffy because you know, tubes! Looking forward to hopefully getting back on Sunday!

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the room is all stuffy because you know, tubes!
Thank you for the rundown on the show. Shows are always nice to attend. Regarding the tubes I was in Vegas at the high end section wandering the halls of the hotel. The rooms where not large and tubes where present. There was one room with massive tube amps. I mean huge amps with rows of very large tubes. There was a line-up outside the room to get in and the heat could be felt down the hallway. It was like being in a warm oven. The speakers where surprisingly small. It was great being there with the odor of cognac and scotch wafting in some rooms and all the gear to see firsthand. :D

Severian

Forum Donor
Completely agree that the Philharmonic speakers stole the show, just like they did the last time Dennis had a room there. Simply outstanding, and certainly the cheapest setup there by an order of magnitude! I actually still preferred the monitors to the towers based on what I heard, they melted into the room just a bit more for me. God the midrange on both is stunning.

And the Salks with the Purifi woofer were easily my second-favorite. I didn't get to hear the other pair that he brought.

I also liked the DR Audio Works (?) work, with the burgundy painted speakers that were a ribbon MTM atop bass modules.

Most everything else sounded pretty mediocre to me, to be honest.

BenB

I visited as many rooms demonstrating speakers as I could. I did this from the perspective of a DIY speaker hobbyist who wants to sample the technologies and trade-off decisions used in the development of some of the world's nicest speakers. I am looking for insight into what works and what doesn't. I am looking for inspiration. I'm also looking for commercial speakers that I can recommend to friends and family who don't DIY.

Moving from room to room, there are a lot of variables at play. Some rooms are big, while others are small. They have different acoustic qualities (big rooms sound a lot better). The source material is different, and typically something I'm not familiar with. It's entirely possible for the combination of source material and room acoustics to give me a bad impression of a good speaker. Sometimes I didn't come away with much of an impression at all... just sort of a run-of-the-mill speaker that doesn't stand out as good or bad.

My 2 favorite speakers were the BMR monitor and the BMR tower in the Philharmonic Audio room (306) . Dennis is a friend of mine, but that's my honest assessment. The BMR monitor provides incredible detail, balance, and bass extension for its size and price. Most people I know (non audiophiles) would be perfectly satisfied with the bass extension and dynamics of the BMR monitor. It looks classy, too. I'm a fan of ribbon and AMT tweeters, and I really like the RAAL. Dennis uses it expertly, by crossing it over high to another wide dispersion driver: the BMR. The box tuning is great as well, and he gets the most out of the woofer.

I do prefer the sound of the BMR tower to the BMR monitor. The MTM presentation comes off a little cleaner to me, and with a bigger woofer in a TL design, the tower digs deeper, too. It also has increased SPL capability compared to the monitor (not that this came into play at the volumes we were listening at). The BMR tower pulled off the best audio presentation I heard all day, and probably did so while costing less than any speaker outside of room 306. That's really a phenomenal achievement.

My next favorite speaker was the Perlisten S7T in the Montrose room. This speaker was the most similar to my own DIY multi-way line array designs, and I think it has enormous potential. I had seen the measurements and read the reviews and I was very excited to see them at CAF (which was a surprise). Unfortunately, I couldn't get past the fact that the speaker is just too low. It's a 51" tall speaker, but because of the design, the tweeter is only about 30-31 inches off the ground. That means I'm listening to a musical presentation that is perceptibly below my ear height. Perhaps it's my DIY tendencies coming out, but if I were to bring these speakers into my theater, I would be forced to go through the trouble of building a platform about 8" tall, that would be big enough and strong enough to support these heavy speakers.

Paired with a couple monster subwoofers, the presenters from Tenacious Sound were not shy with the volume. In this setup, the S7Ts offered effortless dynamics. The presenters were also happy to take requests. I really have to hand it to them for putting together such a great room. They got one of the bigger rooms, and set it up along the diagonal. They obviously had lots of clean power on tap. A very impressive set-up from a couple of nice guys. I did move around the room to see whether I could perceive the narrowing horizontal dispersion that was measured. I could. Despite that, I found the presentation to be a little "forward". I believe this is because the speaker measures very flat, even though it has a very narrow vertical beamwidth. According to Toole, the biggest impact of vertical reflections is a perceived shift in tonal balance. This is typically a welcome change that makes the speakers sound a little less bright or analytical. I do believe that it's more ideal to reduce the vertical reflections, for a cleaner presentation with better transients and dynamics, but the voicing of the speaker should be adjusted a little away from flat. This is a very minor complaint, and perhaps the speaker would be less marketable if voiced a little warmer, but I think it would sound better. If I owned these, I would plan on a bit of EQ to taste.

I was able to hear my favorite recording of a drum solo on the S7Ts. Unfortunately, the recording is so dynamic that is has to be played about 20 dB louder than compressed commercial offerings, and the presenters didn't account fully for this. They played it decently loud, but it could have still been louder. It honestly didn't have the same authenticity I'm used to at home, which is uncanny. I managed to get a center seat in the 2nd row when something from Amused to Death by Roger Waters was playing. For whatever reason, the extension of the soundstage well beyond the width of the speakers didn't work for me. It's not my favorite music, but I've listened to it at home and there the effect works. It may have to do with the set-up being along the diagonal, which I think is generally favorable to combat room modes when there isn't time to do a whole multi-subwoofer placement optimization, but it may have hindered this particular presentation.

Overall I am very thankful for the opportunity to hear the S7T, and I was very impressed with its capabilities. For me, it did have a couple of minor imperfections, but I think those could be addressed. At that point it could be an endgame speaker, if such a thing exists.

I plan to write more impressions of other speakers in a follow-up post, but I wanted to get the best stuff out of the way first. Anyone attending the show should make sure not to miss the Montrose room, or room 306.

Top Bottom