• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Canton Vento 826.2 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 126 54.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 79 34.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 5.7%

• Total voters

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My interest in Canton is that it is one of the rare brand still placing the mid-range above the tweeter in some of their floor stander speakers.
The BR port located in the speaker foot is also a nice feature.

Now that they have moved away from ceramic material for the woofer and midrange drivers, I have to wait for them to change the tweeter unit (still a ceramic one) that brings this awful distortion.
Then may be I will buy the new Canton Vento 100
dg5p.jpg
They have not moved away from ceramic material, the ceramic is reserved for their heigher end speakers like the Reference series, A, B and c Series. Vento sits below them, hence no “exotic” ceramic.

I had the ventos and reference 7k, the sound always felt like it originated from the tweeter axis on them if listening height is what you is interesting for you.

Again, the guys who complains that the distortion is audible here has never heard it in person, and they both haven’t owned more than two speakers in their life to know a real world perspective! I never could hear anything despite loud volume levels.

Last edited:

fineMen

Major Contributor
Again, the guys who complains that the distortion is audible here has never heard it in person, and they both haven’t owned more than two speakers in their life to know a real world perspective!
If it wasn't objectionable to the ear, it would still be ugly from the perspective of engineering aesthetics. As you mentioned my lack of experience it would be nice of you to look back to my posting that expemplifies the case of (a) the problem of exaggerated tweeter distortion being solved in the 1970s--by CANTON and (b) the availability of non distorting tweeters today in the price bracket around 19$ on the DIY consumer market--non distorting at the same output level but even nearly an octave lower.

If there is anything remarkable about that tweeter of the Vento here, then the denial of its defectivness, not the fantasmatic material it is (said to be) made of.

Last edited:

dogmamann

If it wasn't objectionable to the ear, it would still be ugly from the perspective of engineering aesthetics. As you mentioned my lack of experience it would be nice of you to look back to my posting that expemplifies the case of (a) the problem of exaggerated tweeter distortion being solved in the 1970s--by CANTON and (b) the availability of non distorting tweeters today in the price bracket around 19$ on the DIY consumer market--non distorting at the same output level but even nearly an octave lower.

If there is anything remarkable about that tweeter of the Vento here, then the denial of its defectivness, not the fantasmatic material it is (said to be) made of.
Canton doesn’t have distortion in their tweeters but those graphs are from upper midrange. (From midrange)Mainly it’s a harmonic distortion of a constant pattern at all loudness levels in the upper midrange. It’s there on every single canton speaker signalling that’s how they want their speaker to sound like. May be that’s one of the reason it feels bit smooth on those frequencies.

The combination of FR+directivity+distortion pattern imo is how the speaker soundlike. Canton has very wide radiation and in real world their soundstage with its neutral presentation is enough to forget if it has any other flaws. In real world it feels a world apart from speakers with coaxials and this difference is often overlooked if you sit at home and choose to be a keyboard warriors than trying out how different measurements actually sound like.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s there on every single canton speaker signalling that’s how they want their speaker to sound like.
I strongly doubt that an increased third harmonic distortion at a specific range is rather feature than a bug, but anyway the newest generation seem to have improved a bit there.

May be that’s one of the reason it feels bit smooth on those frequencies.
I and few others I know feel rather the opposite, namely that it sounds rather accentuated at those frequencies, but also rather believe that its due to the widening of the directivity around the crossover frequencies as their waveguide is too small, here an example:

Canton_Frequenzgang_hor.jpg

In real world it feels a world apart from speakers with coaxials
Sorry for nitpicking but you can have also coaxials with wide radiation, by the way I wouldn't call such a typical waveguided Canton as wide radition either, there are other loudspeakers with wider directivity.

fineMen

Major Contributor
The combination of FR+directivity+distortion pattern imo is how the speaker sound like. ... neutral presentation ...
Soundshaping, but neutral? Distortion as a feature? Maybe its my personal thing, but there is something like engineering aesthetics. Once CANTON had it on the spot, but as already mentioned, for me today it feels like they try to copy Chinese excellence. I now voted: poor. Because you finally declared the tweeter's distortion to be intentional. I first gave it the benefit of doubt to be just individually defective.

UNow42

The distortion is extremely high--a 19$ tweeter I used until lately would not exceed 0,2% 2nd or 0.1% 3rd HD at these levels down to below the 1,9kHz x-over point.
As Amir mentioned at the beginning, the distortion source is the woofer, not the tweeter.
To confirm that is the woofer, here is the near-field distortion measurement of the woofer:
Canton Vento 826.2 standmount bookshelf speaker near field distortion woofer response measurem...png

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I now voted: poor. Because you finally declared the tweeter's distortion to be intentional. I first gave it the benefit of doubt to be just individually defective.
Just because he wrote so it doesn't automatically mean that it is the intention of Canton.

fineMen

Major Contributor
As Amir mentioned at the beginning, the distortion source is the woofer, not the tweeter.
The interpretation of near-field measurements can be tricky. The HD in question is third order, hence the components should have a frequency of about 9kHz = 3 * 3Khz. Question is, if the tweeter has a wide enough radiation as to spill these components into the measurement close to the woofer's cone.

Anyway, tweeter or woofer, such a high contamination with HD shall not be. To accept such is outdated due to readily available alternatives.

UNow42

This has already been discussedin #14. Amir also stated that he could clearly her the woofer ringing at 96dB.
This is due to the metal cone of the woofer. It resonates due to lack of sufficent damping.
I wouldn't buy a two way speaker like this.

dogmamann

Soundshaping, but neutral? Distortion as a feature? Maybe its my personal thing, but there is something like engineering aesthetics. Once CANTON had it on the spot, but as already mentioned, for me today it feels like they try to copy Chinese excellence. I now voted: poor. Because you finally declared the tweeter's distortion to be intentional. I first gave it the benefit of doubt to be just individually defective.
I never said it’s the tweeter, what you see as the distortion is from the mid bass. I myself had canton reference 7k, as opposed to the guesses here, I lived with that speaker for some time with the “distortion”. It’s not audible at any volume I tried. Tried playing our tones to test this the sound of the tone remained same when I increased the loudness to not sane levels too. I think people are just writing off things without verifying if it matters. Poor directivity can be a problem, but this, it’s not.

Also your vote won’t hurt their business. Their fanbase in Germany is as strong as any other brand!

fineMen

Major Contributor
I think people are just writing off things without verifying if it matters. Poor directivity can be a problem, but this, it’s not.
Also your vote won’t hurt their business. Their fanbase in Germany is as strong as any other brand!

I'm pretty sure about the fanbase in Germany. Its anyway up to you. :)

Top Bottom