• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Canton speakers.

Digi

if your take is a mediocre performing speakers with good looks, well Canton is a good option. I admire their design too. Looks super cool. But unfortunately for me when it comes to a speaker sound is the prime thing then comes look. So happy with my KEF R11 although it look ugly in my opinion.
Hi, I am looking for a good pair of Bookshelf speakers on speaker stands and was thinking about Canton's Reference 9k until I saw your comment here. Can you help with identifying what is wrong sonically with these model speakers and which make and model would you recommend? My listening space is 19.5ft long x 11.5ft wide x 10-14ft high. My listening level is moderate, and I would sit +/-9ft from speakers. I currently have a Parasound A21+ amplifier. Thanks in advance.

Crosstalk

Funnily yesterday you really liked their sound, they are not getting bad, you are just miss-estimating the influence of the HD plots.
I still like their sound, the vento 100 sounded really 'wide' and roomfilling for 5k, and the reference 8k doesnt. So for the 5-10 minute listen I had on them, it instantly sounded like a better speaker. I didnt get an opportunity to test the loudness to let them hit the 'distortion', and I played at quiet less loudness at the store. At home, on critical listening my opinion may change.

But thats the power of measurements. It wont let me make a purchase decision based on what I could 'hear' for few minutes. I may have to live with the wrong stuff for years if I trust my ears. Thanks for sharing the measurements.

By the way, even on measurements, you can see that the distortion is relatively lower on the Ventos. Reference bad, Vento good!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way, even on measurements, you can see that the distortion is relatively lower on the Ventos. Reference bad, Vento good!
Such simplistic black and white way of thinking is rather bad, but it seems you need it.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Such simplistic black and white way of thinking is rather bad, but it seems you need it.
All ways of thinking has their cons and pros, but in the end I hope Canton improve the mid range distortion and a bit more the directivity in the future (only my opinion), i see a lot of potential there :), good work and people.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All ways of thinking has their cons and pros, but in the end I hope Canton improve the mid range distortion and a bit more the directivity in the future (only my opinion), i see a lot of potential there :), good work and people.
I agree, especially on the directivity, although the directivity of the Vento 100 looks already nicer, it is a wider baffle though which also has an influence, would be interesting to compare 2 similar sized models.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
They look like absolutely lovely speakers, but I can't really speak to them, they're not available in the United States. In any event, stay warm in beautiful Iceland!

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
New canton, very different..
Canton

Karat GS Edition​

Also the mid range looks like a mid range :) 154mm, very interesting
3.500,00 € * (each, i guess)
woofer1 x 257 mm, Cellulose-Graphit
mid drivers2 x 154 mm, Aluminium-Keramik-Wolfram Schwarz (Wave-Sicke, TCC)
tweeter1 x 25 mm, Aluminium Oxyd Keramik
crossover: 130 / 500 / 3100 Hz
Karat_GS_weiss_Beauty_2022.jpg

Ciobi69

LLooks like they remade this model which i have , Canton karat l800dc, 31cm side woofer and 16.8cm midrange, 42kg, awesome speaker,they need a big space

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-25-10-13-32-84_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-25-10-13-32-84_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 89

Crosstalk

Karat series was quite popular in the late 90s and early 00s, they had similar configuration with MTM and side woofer, I even owned the M80 DC model for few years back then.
I had the Karat 790.2 DC and then I changed it for Vento 896.2 before the R11, to me the Ventos sounded less boomy and had super wide soundstage. But it didnt had the bass punch of the Karat. But this new Karat is having the Ceramic woofer :facepalm::facepalm:

VodkaChile

haha , thats a lame argument, how can I possibly fly from europe to US to measure your speakers! Cantons use that same driver in all K series speakers which distorts more than any other brand in 2 to 4kHz region. The Problem is with their flawed ceramic tungsten driver which many times I have listened to with speakers upto 1k.

How this distortion sounds is not like a distortion! when a particular instrument falls into this frequency region, at lower levels the sound of the instrument is right as the cantons freq response is very good.

Once the level is increased , that instruments sound will have an added distortion signal which results in off tone. Meaning you hear that instrument in two different tones depending on the volume level which is unaccceptable for the price they charge. Also that driver is from 2014 and is long overdue for a fix!

I dont care about anything stereo magazine schreibs as they are just another subjective review advertisement website like what cry fi.

Anyway References are quite old now and recently I heard the new Vento 100, to me it sounded really superb, better than the Reference 8k(small tower) which was placed near it. Of course Ventos are huge but price wise they were equals.
Hi
I have Cantons vento 886.2 speakers
Never feel heard such distortion you say. even at different sound pressure levels
Can you explain this better please?
I want to upgrade to vento 100 since with vento series i have very good experience!

Crosstalk

Hi
I have Cantons vento 886.2 speakers
Never feel heard such distortion you say. even at different sound pressure levels
Can you explain this better please?
I want to upgrade to vento 100 since with vento series i have very good experience!
The Ventos are relatively fine, Only the ones with those Ceramic woofers have this problem which are a level above the Ventos.

Neftun

I’m looking to buy speakers. Been happy with canton ref 9dc, and am eyeing Karat GS. But lookie, black friday comes and kef r7 can be bought for less.

Any input? I like my bass, for sure.

3125b

Major Contributor
Get subs.

Neftun

Get subs.
The thing is I had an audiopro 10» sub. When I got the reference 9dc’s, I sold the sub the next day.

I’m positive subs are better now than ten years ago, but the Karats have 10» woofers.

Neftun

So I bought the Karat GS. Hadn’t heard them, so I put my faith in the local distrubitor, Njål Hansson and the ceo there, Ståle.

paired with topping e50 balanced into two sabaj a20a, playing apple music via usb.

At first, the sound was… a bit harsh. Played some acoustic gitar, and the high notes almost attacked me. But a full bodied sound, and I gave it a week or so.

Dunno if it was break in or me, but something mellowed out. Now I’m as happy as can be:) cannot make any scientific observations, but the treble seems at bit calmer, and the dispersion feels wide yet focused. Midrange is detailed, if a tad on the warm side. Some tracks like MJ’s Dangerous have the voice a little recessed, but clear as day.

But the party trick of these is the bass. Massive, visceral, and comfortably within sub bass range. Easily seperates kick drum from bass guitar. And so lovely having two «subs» :)

Neftun

I had the Karat 790.2 DC and then I changed it for Vento 896.2 before the R11, to me the Ventos sounded less boomy and had super wide soundstage. But it didnt had the bass punch of the Karat. But this new Karat is having the Ceramic woofer :facepalm::facepalm:
Is there any way of knowing if these have the same problems as the reference k’s? They seem to be new drivers after reading press info. I personally don’t hear any issues.

Top Bottom