• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Canton Smart Connect 5.1 (discussion)

• Thread starter Deleted member 35357
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 35357

Anyone have any information other than the marketing material on how a Canton Smart Connect 5.1 performs or is good at all?

I would love to have Amir test this piece out but seems difficult to source or find information overall at all about this piece of equipment.

I've been looking for a DAC to use with my 5.1 powered speaker system and I only find reviews on 2-channel DAC's. AVR's seem to measure awful in comparison, but are geared for passive speakers. I have active speakers.

Just a general curiosity as this product would work perfect in my setup with HDMI Audio input and pre-out RCA connections to connect to your choice of powered speakers or other equipment. (volume control needed)
I currently only use the 5.1 system in 2-channel mode so have looked at the various DAC's tested here for a alternative but found that I could not order most of the stuff tested and recommended here. My payment options are limited and was trying to order from Amazon a Topping product but was rejected on the way I could pay there so had to scrap that unless they are sold by Amazon direct, not third parties.

The Canton Smart Connect 5.1 is a product I can buy but more expensive than I was looking for and without any reviews, or user feedback it's a high risk purchase I don't really feel like making guesswork on.
I've already seen price increase 50% since I saw it around for the first time. Availability limited.

Any users around to share their feedback on how it works or is it at all workable?

I would be using it with PC, TV & 4K Blu-ray player. The HDMI input works for both PC & Blu-ray and ARC feature a plus if ever used but a better alternative than SPDIF from TV to DAC.

I've at the moment using a stopgap measure with a cheap RCA DAC connected to the SPDIF output from the TV being sent over HDMI from all sources.
It's not a performance DAC, look at those cheapest available for most likely comparison.
I just wanted a good performance DAC to replace it with as it's kinda limited for what I wanted other than no sound at all or TV internal speakers.

This product was like the perfect match but it's increasing in price and no information available from end-users.

Anyone? Any inputs or recommendations about the Canton Smart Connect 5.1?
A 2-channel DAC would be much cheaper but it has to be available in Europe. I was ready to buy a Topping D30 Pro but my payment method was rejected so had to cancel at Amazon.

Katji

Major Contributor
It seems odd that there is so little user feedback - maybe because Canton does not go much further than Germany[?] 0 but how much Google did you do? What I found is mostly retailers, and a video explaining it, but enough to keep me reading for a while. Apparently it does work well and everything else that does the job is more expensive.
...example...
1628356499367.png

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have you tried googling in german?

Katji

Major Contributor
:D It wasn't necessary, I got German, Polish, French...maybe English. // Unless you have google options set to limit it. - I don't...I was just thinking how useful this translation add-on is, translate in-place without opening a tab for google translate.

jyrgenn

Anyone have any information other than the marketing material on how a Canton Smart Connect 5.1 performs or is good at all?
I have been using it for a few weeks (2 or 3), and I am mostly happy with it. It has a few non-ideal points, though.
I've been looking for a DAC to use with my 5.1 powered speaker system and I only find reviews on 2-channel DAC's. AVR's seem to measure awful in comparison, but are geared for passive speakers. I have active speakers.
Exactly. I have only stereo speakers (active JBL 308P MkII studio monitors, quite decent), but had the same idea. Previously I had them plugged into the TV set, but that set is a bit weird with the audio volume control, so I looked for an alternative.

Besides the TV set (a cheapish Grundig 49", which is a bit weird in some respects), I have plugged a Dreambox 7020hd PVR, a cheapish Sony Blu-ray player, and an Apple TV into it. Works fine; but annoying is if you want to watch the TV program using the set's receiver, you have to switch inputs on the set *and* on the Canton. (I don't do that, but my wife does.)

The Canton has 4 HDMI inputs, plus a number of audio-only inputs. Switching inputs the standard way is a bit confusing due to the number of inputs; using the remote you can go up or down the list, but as there are so many, you have to hunt for the one you are looking for. There is no OSD to help; the only thing that shows you where you are is the one-line three-character LED display on the device. Not ideal.

Fortunately on the remote (caveat: not included!) you have three preset buttons. I'd have liked to have four, for the four HDMI inputs, but as I rarely use the BDP, I can live with that. (I could well live without one for the TV/ARC input, as the PVR has all the same programs, but my wife rather likes to use the TV set's controls when watching broadcast programs. So no preset button for the BDP.) Having one input selected, a long press on a preset button saves that input and the volume setting on the button. So you can have a standard volume setting for each of the preset button inputs, which is a nice idea. (Unfortunately not only the different devices vary in their audio volume, but also different programs on the same device, e.g. Netflix and YouTube on the Apple TV. So this is less helpful than it could be.)

The Canton Smart Connect 5.1 is a product I can buy but more expensive than I was looking for and without any reviews, or user feedback it's a high risk purchase I don't really feel like making guesswork on.
I've already seen price increase 50% since I saw it around for the first time. Availability limited.
Yes, that thing is a bit expensive. But as it is just the device I was looking for, a AV receiver to drive active speakers, I bought it anyway. (I don't use the bluetooth speaker driver at all and don't expect to use it. But hey, that may change.)

Availability and price are an issue. In August I saw it advertised by Canton for IIRC 499 €, but it wasn't available anywhere. General availability was promised for late September or October, but what there is now is more expensive (649 € list price), and a second generation. Now with Apple Airplay, which would be useless to me as the Apple TV already covers that.

https://www.canton.de/en/products/smart/smart-connect-5.1

I found the older model on eBay nearly new (only with a big water spot on the manual) for 5 € less.

Any users around to share their feedback on how it works or is it at all workable?
Well, it does work. I has a lot of options for tuning audio output; speaker distance, speaker volume compensation, equaliser, lots of things of which I don't use most myself (in part due to using only stereo speakers).

The user interface is, sadly, more typical for an audio device manufacturer (which Canton is), and not anything like the much more visually oriented and more aesthetically pleasing UIs of modern TVs; see my gripe about selecting an input above. But except selecting an input (and adjusting the volume, which is fine) you won't need to use most of it on a daily basis, and for that, the preset buttons are a godsend.

Some things work, like pressing the menu button on the Apple TV remote wakes up the Apple TV, which wakes up the Canton and switches its input appropriately, which wakes up the TV. That is fine. (Should also work with the BDP, but doesn't with the PVR, which is an older generation, now 12 years old.) But when I have just switched on power for the whole stack, it does select the Apple TV input because the Apple TV comes up, but before it shows the Apple TV's signal, it switches the input again to "NET" (Spotify?), so I have to select the Apple TV input again manually.

The Apple TV seems to switch on and off the audio data stream quite often when changing apps and programs and things. Each time there is a new audio stream, the Canton takes a moment to recognise it and sync to it, so there can be a small gap at the start of the audio. Also, it displays the type of audio stream and the audio volume for a moment. Both is a bit annoying, but bearable.

So, in the end, as I said, I am mostly happy with it. There are a few quirks, and a few minor annoyances, but in the end it does what it promised to do, and that it does rather well. (In terms of quirks, it is harmless compared to the PVR, which is of the "you could make a fine product out of it" category.) Oh, one thing: as the outputs are unbalanced, I had a ground loop producing a quite noticeable hum, so I needed an isolation transformer to break it up (same as with the TV set and the speakers before). But these things are cheap and easy to get, so I didn't mind.

Should you buy it? I don't know. With a 5.1 setup, you can certainly make more use of it than I can. If you want to use Bluetooth speakers, it might be just the right thing to have. The price was just at the upper limit of what I was willing to pay for such a thing; for the 649 € I wouldn't have bought it.

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
Thanks for the detailed feedback @jyrgenn. I know you said you don’t use EQ, but could you please say what type of eq it has? Graphic or parametric, and how many bands? Weirdly I can’t find this in the English section of the manual I’ve found online.

The manual for the similar AVR (Canton Smart Amp) suggests it only has 3 preset EQ settings for speakers close to wall etc, which would be severely limiting for room correction….

Bonk

The Apple TV seems to switch on and off the audio data stream quite often when changing apps and programs and things. Each time there is a new audio stream, the Canton takes a moment to recognise it and sync to it, so there can be a small gap at the start of the audio. Also, it displays the type of audio stream and the audio volume for a moment. Both is a bit annoying, but bearable.
I have been in cotact with Canton support and told them that they should fix this bug and make it Apple compatible. All Android TV devices are sending comfort noice (found under advances sound settings) as default.
Wondering about the DAC when playing CDs over HDMI, not that satisfied about the sound.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the detailed feedback @jyrgenn. I know you said you don’t use EQ, but could you please say what type of eq it has? Graphic or parametric, and how many bands? Weirdly I can’t find this in the English section of the manual I’ve found online.

The manual for the similar AVR (Canton Smart Amp) suggests it only has 3 preset EQ settings for speakers close to wall etc, which would be severely limiting for room correction….
From what I understand from the manual, it has presets EQ, not graphic even less parametric, unfortunately...

wilbur1

Hi folks, I live in the US, but have a small house in France in which I needed to set up a 5.1 system as a 'second' system to use for work when in Europe. That is just a simple explanation of why I bought this Canton Smart Connect 5.1 box, and I can now give a 'report' - to some extent - on it.
I was interested in this unit to act basically as a surround processor and work with a couple of sources and an external multichannel power amp hooked up in the traditional manner. The unit was not really designed for just this function, but it is successfull in acting as such. I have set it up with a Sony Blu-ray player that can also play multichannel SACD via HDMI, as well as with a European Blu-ray player/streamer, and a USB DAC out of my computer for music and online content (connected to the analogue-input on the Canton). This thing works very nicely. There is a "Pure Direct" mode that sends the right signals to the right channels, as well as a number of 'virtual' surround settings I personally would never be interested in. The unit does NOT do DSD over HDMI, so the output of the Blu-ray players has to be set to PCM. This is kind of a shame, but likely not a big deal for most people. The sound is good on all inputs (3xHDMI, coax, opt., line). I do not know (I have looked) what DAC chip is being used here, and it may not measure up to the latest high-measuring DACs that are available, but what this thing DOES do it serve as a very respectable surround sound controller at a price that is way below the next cheapest available. I have been looking for something like this for quite some time, and this is a nice unit. I got a great deal on mine from a Hi-Fi store in Germany (HIFI PROFIS in Darmstadt - total professionals + 100% recommended) - basically $500 (including the remote), which is unbeatable really if you are looking for something like this. That was a 'special' deal that has now gone, but considering that I see it sort of available in the US for three times this, which is a total rip-off. I'd suggest if you are interested, consider importing one from Darmstadt! The remote is billed by Canton as an 'extra', but that is pretty lame, as it really is pretty essential. It is a solid remote that has learning as well, so totally worth it.
I have this now set up with wired speakers - via the pre-outs - to my 5-channel amp and powered sub (so 6 speakers in all), but the capacity of the unit would also allow for another 5 (or 6, not sure) 'smart' (wireless) speakers to also be controlled by this unit, so it could potentially be pretty powerful for some folks interested in ridiculous numbers of speakers in a crazy home theatre set-up (not really my style). Anyhow, hope this helps someone!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent report, @wilbur1 thanks! If you could lend it to @VintageFlanker in France, he could measure it with his Cosmos ADC.

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
hi,
I became somehow interested in the Canton connect, but i am not 100% sure if and how it fits my needs and current setup, i would appreciate some input:

Currently i use the following:
fire tv stick (amazon music) > HDMI to TV > toslink to DDRC24 (Dirac live) > rpi camilladsp > Motu M4 > balanced 2ch amp + 2 subs
I use this both for music and TV and i am pretty happy with the results, i don't need nor want to change anything for 2 channel music listening.

however when it comes to films, we use netflix and amazon prime video and i would like to have a way of building a minimalistic and if possible not very expensive 5.1 setup. The Canton seems ideal for this purpose (i see version 1 available for 500 euros in a few shops, and it is a small device, just what i am looking for).

What would be the best way to build a 5.1 setup around what i have for stereo?

I was thinking:
TV > HDMI ARC > Canton connect > L R and Sub RCA out of the canton > some sort of switch (remember my setup for stereo that i want to leave as it is) > balanced amp + subs
and
Canton connect > wireless > center and rear wireless speakers (well, central can be wired, doesnt matter)
I lose dirac room correction when using the 5.1 setup though...
Do you guys see this feasible?
What sort of switch do i need to switch between the outputs from the motu M4 (2 balanced + 2 unbalanced) to the outputs from the canton (3 unbalanced)? does such a thing exists?
for Central and rear speakers, only to be used with the canton, what do i need to look for? does canton sell an adapter to use any active speaker within a canton wireless system or do i need to stick to canton smart rears?
How does the canton know the different gains of the different amps involved? can the gains be adjusted in the canton? is there a way to do it with a mic and REW?

Are there other ways to do what i aim for around the Canton? (yes, please, around the canton, i do not want to have a AVR)
Would i be better served by TV > HDMI > Canton > 6 RCA out > multichannel interface (which?) > camilladsp room correction > multichannel interface > different amps and active speakers+subs (pros: room correction, cons: lose the wireless connectivity for the rears, that is somehow important for me)
Any other possibilities?

Many questions, i know, thanks for any input!

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Hi,

I owned the smart connect 5.1 about 2 years ago and had to send it back to canton few months after and got refunded.
See my previous post on this device.
To summarize: this device was very nice (a bit limited compared to an avr, but rather affordable:) ). But it had issues that I could not live with.
I hope the "2nd gen" solved these issues !

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
hi,
I became somehow interested in the Canton connect, but i am not 100% sure if and how it fits my needs and current setup, i would appreciate some input:

Currently i use the following:
fire tv stick (amazon music) > HDMI to TV > toslink to DDRC24 (Dirac live) > rpi camilladsp > Motu M4 > balanced 2ch amp + 2 subs
I use this both for music and TV and i am pretty happy with the results, i don't need nor want to change anything for 2 channel music listening.

however when it comes to films, we use netflix and amazon prime video and i would like to have a way of building a minimalistic and if possible not very expensive 5.1 setup. The Canton seems ideal for this purpose (i see version 1 available for 500 euros in a few shops, and it is a small device, just what i am looking for).

What would be the best way to build a 5.1 setup around what i have for stereo?

I was thinking:
TV > HDMI ARC > Canton connect > L R and Sub RCA out of the canton > some sort of switch (remember my setup for stereo that i want to leave as it is) > balanced amp + subs
and
Canton connect > wireless > center and rear wireless speakers (well, central can be wired, doesnt matter)
I lose dirac room correction when using the 5.1 setup though...
Do you guys see this feasible?
What sort of switch do i need to switch between the outputs from the motu M4 (2 balanced + 2 unbalanced) to the outputs from the canton (3 unbalanced)? does such a thing exists?
for Central and rear speakers, only to be used with the canton, what do i need to look for? does canton sell an adapter to use any active speaker within a canton wireless system or do i need to stick to canton smart rears?
How does the canton know the different gains of the different amps involved? can the gains be adjusted in the canton? is there a way to do it with a mic and REW?

Are there other ways to do what i aim for around the Canton? (yes, please, around the canton, i do not want to have a AVR)
Would i be better served by TV > HDMI > Canton > 6 RCA out > multichannel interface (which?) > camilladsp room correction > multichannel interface > different amps and active speakers+subs (pros: room correction, cons: lose the wireless connectivity for the rears, that is somehow important for me)
Any other possibilities?

Many questions, i know, thanks for any input!

I was using the Canton smart connect in a similar workflow:
TV -> SM 5.1 (hdmi)
Streamer -> SM 5.1 (toslink)
SM 5.1 -> Sub
SM 5.1 -> DSP -> 2ch power amp -> mains
SM 5.1 -> 3ch power amp -> center and surrounds

MCH

Major Contributor
I was using the Canton smart connect in a similar workflow:
TV -> SM 5.1 (hdmi)
Streamer -> SM 5.1 (toslink)
SM 5.1 -> Sub
SM 5.1 -> DSP -> 2ch power amp -> mains
SM 5.1 -> 3ch power amp -> center and surrounds
thanks Vincenzo. And how did you adjust the different gains of the different amps? does the Canton allow to manually input them or in your case they were all the same?

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
thanks Vincenzo. And how did you adjust the different gains of the different amps? does the Canton allow to manually input them or in your case they were all the same?
At that time, the 2ch and 3ch power amp were from same manufacturer and had same gain.
Thus, no special adjustment.

Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi,
I have just found measurements of the smart connect (that are actually linked in the product website) but I am having trouble understanding them. Can someone have a look?
The second graph seems to indicate harmonic distorsión vs voltage at different frequencies, is that correct?
Then at the end, output voltage? In ohms???
Signal to noise ratio RCA/xlr? Where is the xlr output??? This one is the most confusing to me, because 105 db would be quite ok but 92....
Comments appreciated, thanks.
Screenshot_2022-12-20-13-19-04-89_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for those measurements.

The 2nd graph is harmonic distortions: 2nd harmonic (k2), 3rd harmonic (k3), etc. Shows that up to some 2.8V the output is fairly clean, after that it saturated. At ASR standard at 2V it is about -88 dB.

The 3rd graph shows an FFT at 1mW and 32 ohms. My basic math says P = U^2/R => U = (P x R)^(1/2) = (32/1000)^(1/2) = 0.18V. Far from 2V but at least it does not show strong 60Hz and multiples distortions from power supply noise.

TL/DR: I think it has a reasonably clean and powerful pre-out for an AVR/AVP.

MCH

Major Contributor
Thanks Matías, what about the SNR "RCA/XLR"? A copy paste from a different device? :D

Top Bottom