• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Canton Smart Connect 5.1 (discussion)

• Thread starter Deleted member 35357
  • Start date

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, most likely the intern made a mistake. :p

c.jpg

Reactions: MCH

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a shame, SNR was the result i wanted to see...
Maybe they got the RCA part right but made a mistake on the non-existing XLR part? Hard to know now if the whole thing was not a mistake. Probably some other edition has a footnote correcting the values, but who knows when and where.

A shame that Canton itself does not provide measurements to begin with, but unfortunately this is the rule in the market. We are spoiled having the detailed measurements from Amir and others of items reviewed here in ASR, and a few Chinese companies that publish detailed measurements, but they are the exception...

To be honest I am almost pulling the trigger in such a unit if I had more confidence in measurements and real world usage (free of issues, etc). Canton should really loan more units out for review. I think they are a German company mostly selling to German market, but when there is almost no competition worldwide for such a product (small affordable AVP) they are missing out promoting it imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
Maybe they got the RCA part right but made a mistake on the non-existing XLR part? Hard to know now if the whole thing was not a mistake. Probably some other edition has a footnote correcting the values, but who knows where and where.

A shame the Canton itself does not provide measurements to begin with, but unfortunately this is the rule in the market. We are spoiled having the detailed measurements from Amir and others of items reviewed here in ASR, and a few Chinese companies that publish detailed measurements, but they are the exception...

To be honest I am almost pulling the trigger in such a unit if I had more confidence in measurements and real world usage (free of issues, etc). Canton should really loan more units out for review. I think they are a German company mostly selling to German market, but when there is almost no competition worldwide for such a product (small affordable AVP) they are missing out promoting it imo.
Agree. The newest version was in offer this weekend at 450 euros. Had they published measurements, i might have one at home today

OP
D

Deleted member 35357

It's actually in stock 1 year after I inquired about this device.
Though not as cheap as some of you others posted (7490Kr) ~675€ around where I live. (EDIT: Found new sellers offering it for 5990Kr, ~550€)

That is the new second generation with apple airplay.
I would think they have updated the electronics so the first gen measurements from 2020 might not reflect the new device entirely.

Still tempted to buy this, though I went with a Topping EX5 in the meantime as these never arrived to be in stock. (delay after delay happened)

MCH

Major Contributor
Ok guys, managed to gather more information on those same measurements. Seems that the SNR numbers are indeed wrong but the actual ones are not very different: 94db for analog and 110db for digital (must refer to inputs, because I don't see any digital outputs there). Well, to be honest, more than enough for my intended usage as decoder of 5.1 dd+ from Netflix:D
Next time I see it in offer might give it a go hoping that the numbers are right (too much to hope giving the messy presentation of the same ) and that V2 is not worse than v1

Screenshot_2022-12-20-18-20-28-92_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 35357

If I'm reading the chart correct it provides more than 2V output ~2.8V at max or does it go all the way to 3V+ if you don't care about noise&distortion?

Special settings or just maximize the volume control to reach those levels?
I thought RCA was really normally only upto 2V usually. We reach almost 3.5V?

jaakkopetteri

I've recently had problems with high pitched noise from my mains and I'm thinking my Smart Connect is somehow broken. The noise starts as soon as I switch to any active input - my setup seems silent otherwise. I RTA'd the noise nearfield from my speakers in case the response might be typical to a particular fault - any ideas?

Attachments

• sirina.png
    sirina.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 44
Top Bottom