• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Canton Plus GXL.3 Review (speaker)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone want to speculate?
Off the top of my head, I might guess the largest speaker makers (aside from Canton) from Europe are:
Focal
KEF
Wharfdale
Elac
B&W

I included companies from the UK, but it seems the question of whether they are included as part of Europe depends on who you ask, LOL!

My guess would be Sonos for home audio, but probably JBL, Amazon or similar if you extend the definition to portable speakers.

In terms of passive speakers, your list looks about right, I reckon.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's interesting to see how high this speaker scored on LFX, despite it rolling off below 150Hz and having a -6dB of maybe 90-100Hz (at a glance).

@MZKM what is the calculated -6dB point here? And what is the LFX score in fact? Looks to me to be somewhere between 65 and 70..?

The reason I'm surprised is that speakers that extend into the 30s of Hz only seem to get about an LFX score about 10 to 20 points higher (e.g. Genelec 8341A, -6dB at 36Hz, LFX score of apparently 80-85).

I would have expected a bigger difference in scores between a speaker that starts rolling off at 150Hz and a speaker that plays dead-flat down to below 50Hz.
Raw -6dB is 95Hz.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Raw -6dB is 95Hz.

And if it's not too much trouble, what's the formula for the LFX score? (Or just tell me if it's in the Olive paper, I can look it up...)

Thanks.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And if it's not too much trouble, what's the formula for the LFX score? (Or just tell me if it's in the Olive paper, I can look it up...)

Thanks.
Log10 of the -6dB point (below 300Hz) in the Sound Power curve relative to the average SPL in the Listening Window (averaged from 300Hz-10kHz).

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Log10 of the -6dB point (below 300Hz) in the Sound Power curve relative to the average SPL in the Listening Window (averaged from 300Hz-10kHz).

Thanks, but I'm confused: log10 of the -6dB point will only give outputs between about 1.3 and 2.5 for values between 20 and 300.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, but I'm confused: log10 of the -6dB point will only give outputs between about 1.3 and 2.5 for values between 20 and 300.
I use ~15Hz for "w/ sub" because then the score would have a maximum very close to 10, as having a scoring system with a max not being 10 is not intuitive. Others doing a similar alternative score are usually choosing 20Hz, which puts the maximum around ~9.4.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use ~15Hz for "w/ sub" because then the score would have a maximum very close to 10, as having a scoring system with a max not being 10 is not intuitive. Others doing a similar alternative score are usually choosing 20Hz, which puts the maximum around ~9.4.

I'm still hugely confused here lol :)

log to the base 10 of 15 is 1.176, unless I'm on a different number system..

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
maybe there should another score value for bass below 100 hz. because have all in one score is not easy to see which speaker have good low bass ability or better use a subwoofer

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
maybe there should another score value for bass below 100 hz. because have all in one score is not easy to see which speaker have good low bass ability or better use a subwoofer

If all you have are the preference scores (but no direct info about bass extension), simply subtract the preference score from the preference score with sub, and the difference will essentially give you this.

Alexium

I've been using various Canton Plus series speakers for a decade, since a member of a local internet forum recommended them to me. I can wholeheartedly recommend the Canton Plus S, it's an older model in a wooden (I think) enclosure. Not plastic, for sure. Amazing desktop / PC speakers as long as you have a sub. I suspect Plus M and Plus L are at least as good. I also have a Plus GX in a plastic case, sounds similar, but the enclosure doesn't feel as solid.

Top Bottom