• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Canton Plus GXL.3 Review (speaker)

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ahm this is really bad that the white model have other tweeter. I have the black model. it seem logical that the black model can have wider direction angle. Edit: crossover is 2.7 khz and below this is also direction not much. so the tweeter seem not change much.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
It's funny. Is this speaker good? No! Is it bad? No! Its a small cheap speaker, that has foults. If you can eq its not to bad. Its a 5 inch with a dome tweeter. Is a vw polo a racing car? No!

bennybbbx

here is a record that compare a 8 zoll adam with a small iloud MTM:
thats what can hear when compare canton with kali. seem on small speaker stereo width is more simular to original. on the 8 zoll the guitar sound not so crisp as original and wide is not so much as original. can hear on headphone too.

questions is how can see in measurement how good is stereo wide, or what measurement should do to find correct sounding speakers in stereo width ? i know music is a matter of taste and in the hifi world speakers can be anything to sound so people like it more.. but i think studio monitors should sound real. and as can see in studio montor there are mostly 2 way speakers with large bass. i hear they did not sound real

Xyrium

Forum Donor
Are we sure this is an indoor speaker? All that plastic and metal grille...odd.

beagleman

Major Contributor
I realize this is a very cheap speaker, but wonder if removing the grill (even if it is tough to do as noted) would help a "Bit" in the high end?

bennybbbx

the grill of the cantons can remove with finger nail. maybe you need put it on table and move top and down of the grill together and somebody else held the speaker. 4 i know from the canton 4 zoll and this black speaker, that the grill is design to easy removable by user. maybe white is diffrent too.

the gxl is not for outdoor. simular speakers are in their 5.1 kits

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Oooops @canton, you better send in one pair of your other speakers before your name gets damaged. This german company is a well reknown one with very good reputation in all price ranges.
Yah maybe.
I know on AVS Canton has a following. Generally the few audio-press reviews I have read on their speakers have been lackluster and mainly from the Chrono line. Just not a lot of info for such a large company.
I has a pair of Canto Ergo floor standers in the 90's. Very bright from what I remember.
It would be cool to see a higher tier current standpoint reviewed here.
Something from the Vento series.

Reactions: KEW

hansik

I have several of the Canton Vento series. I compared the Vento 830.2 to Kef LS50´s I had and sold the Kefs. Though there are very close.
The Vento´s are more pretty in my opinion. Good decent speakers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are we sure this is an indoor speaker? All that plastic and metal grille...odd.
I looked and nowhere does it say it is moisture resistant or fit for outdoor use. But for sure they dipped into the same parts bin for the case and grill.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So even with quite a big woofer (130mm) its bass performance suffers without a port..

black & naked :)
plusgxl_3-1.jpg

PS: I spy with my little eye... it is made in Europe!
Right, 5" then.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I looked and nowhere does it say it is moisture resistant or fit for outdoor use. But for sure they dipped into the same parts bin for the case and grill.
Yes, seems like the newer version is "Plus XL.3" - for indoor use, while "Pro XL.3" aimed for outdoor use (newer type of woofers):
Pro house / special speakers

What is interesting, this company provides quite wide product portfolio, they even make studio monitors.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is interesting, this company provides quite wide product portfolio, they even make studio monitors.
The "monitor" seems to have been unfortunately just a one-off and only sold at usual Hifi stores as it was released quite some time ago and there seems to be no replacement, which was a shame as it was not bad, but I guess its very hard to get into the very competitive studio monitor segment.
Canton by the way is according to a source the largest loudspeaker manufacturer in Germany and 3rd biggest in Europe, would be interesting to know the others too.

KEW

Forum Donor
The "monitor" seems to have been unfortunately just a one-off and only sold at usual Hifi stores as it was released quite some time ago and there seems to be no replacement, which was a shame as it was not bad, but I guess its very hard to get into the very competitive studio monitor segment.
Canton by the way is according to a source the largest loudspeaker manufacturer in Germany and 3rd biggest in Europe, would be interesting to know the others too.
Anyone want to speculate?
Off the top of my head, I might guess the largest speaker makers (aside from Canton) from Europe are:
Focal
KEF
Wharfdale
Elac
B&W

I included companies from the UK, but it seems the question of whether they are included as part of Europe depends on who you ask, LOL!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone want to speculate?
Off the top of my head, I might guess the largest speaker makers (aside from Canton) from Europe are:
Focal
KEF
Wharfdale
Elac
B&W
I included companies from the UK, but it seems the question of whether they are included as part of Europe depends on who you ask, LOL!
Would also guess similar but it would be interesting to see some official data, even world wide, but it seems not easy to find such data in the web or I didn't use the correct search key words...

bennybbbx

i look in inet and find that jamo is biggest in europe. i dont remember that i see something from jamo(tests). canton is biggest in germany, I think KEF, focal wharfedale elac B&W are not big . they are known by hifi with big prices. but speakers with big prices are not sell often. so all in all they get not much money when a KEF speaker for 500 eur is sell 2 times and a Jamo speaker for 100 eur is sell 20 times more

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Preference Rating
SCORE: 0.8
SCORE w/ sub: 4.3

Sensitivity: 87.4dB (spec: 88dB)
Impedance: 5ohm nominal 5ohm, 4.0ohm minimum
Frequency response: +/-14.2dB 40Hz-20kHz ; +/-8dB 80Hz-20kHz

It's interesting to see how high this speaker scored on LFX, despite it rolling off below 150Hz and having a -6dB of maybe 90-100Hz (at a glance).

@MZKM what is the calculated -6dB point here? And what is the LFX score in fact? Looks to me to be somewhere between 65 and 70..?

The reason I'm surprised is that speakers that extend into the 30s of Hz only seem to get about an LFX score about 10 to 20 points higher (e.g. Genelec 8341A, -6dB at 36Hz, LFX score of apparently 80-85).

I would have expected a bigger difference in scores between a speaker that starts rolling off at 150Hz and a speaker that plays dead-flat down to below 50Hz.

Top Bottom