• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cantilever Repair?

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In a freak accident, I managed to bend the cantilever in a virtually brand new Goldring cartridge. It now sits at a 90 degree angle to the base. I tried to straighten it and pretty sure I made it much worse. Does anyone know if this can be repaired (clearly not by me)or do I need to take my lumps and buy a whole new cartridge.

OP
GDK

GDK

Forum Donor
Thanks for that! I did see that on the Goldring site, but they have a repair minimum of GBP300, which is nearly the price of the cartridge. However, I should have done the google search myself. I’ll call a couple of places tomorrow.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I imagine it's quite a fiddly operation and I doubt it will be cheap; let us know how you get on.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are people that can replace the cantilever and stylus, it's not going to be cheap, it's normally only done for expensive MC carts.
Check you house insurance policy.
What cart is it.

OP
GDK

GDK

Forum Donor
Thanks for all the help. It’s not a super valuable one. It‘s a Goldring 1042MM that I bought new a couple of months ago for around C$500. Although it’s not (obviously) mentioned on the Goldring website, it seems that you can buy a replacement stylus for it, but it will cost about the same as what I paid for the full cartridge.

I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive lesson for me on the benefits of keeping the guard on when not in use. :facepalm:

Top Bottom