• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can't decide between Focal Shape 65 and Kali in-8 v2

canardwc

I want to complete my setup for critical listening. I have a pair of Focal Shape 65 and 1 Kali in-8 v2 that my friend gave me. Now I would like to complete my setup to make a 5.1 setup. I already have a subwoofer, so my question is, should I complete my setup buying more Focal Shapes 65 or just sell my Focal Shape and just use only Kali in-8 v2 instead. Money isn't an issue in this case because it will be about the same price for me. I'm just wondering which monitor has the most detail and less distortion. I like using my Focal Shapes but I had to calibrate them since they lack a bit of highs and their frequency response is less linear than the Kali. The Kali is definitely more flat, however, in a mono setup like I have now, it's hard to compare it with the Focals in terms of detailed sound and distortion. Many people say the Kali in8 second wave usually box out of their league, but is it enough to reach the Focal Shape 65 though? When using the Kali I feel it sounds more compressed but maybe it's just because I have only one.

Any help would be strongly appreciated !

Thank you very much

dfuller

Major Contributor
You have both you can listen to, no? Both are generally in the category of "decent" - so give 'em a listen in mono, level matched with filtered pink noise.

OP
C

canardwc

I do but I feel I'm more used to the Focals, it doesn't mean they are the best though, also I don't feel a mono pink noise test could be enough to judge the sound detail of a monitor, I did theses tests to level match, but the behavior of a monitor is quite different in a mono or stereo setup. That's why I would like to have some outside point of view from other people.

YSC

Major Contributor
they are decent enough IMO and if you like the focal, just keep them

mglobe

Forum Donor
Buy a UMIK-1 microphone from miniDSP, download REW, measure both sets of speakers, and compare the results of the measurements. Then compare what you seen in the frequency responses to what you think you hear. THEN make a decision.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I do but I feel I'm more used to the Focals, it doesn't mean they are the best though, also I don't feel a mono pink noise test could be enough to judge the sound detail of a monitor, I did theses tests to level match, but the behavior of a monitor is quite different in a mono or stereo setup. That's why I would like to have some outside point of view from other people.
The filtered pink noise is just to match levels. Do your listening comparisons with music.

Top Bottom