• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cans similar to Dekoni Blue in sound.

SonicallyDeaF

I've been eyeing the Dekoni Blue mainly for the colour and easy to modify.
Is there a headphone out there that you can think that is sonically similar for around the same price.

P.S. I've thought about the Bdynamic DT 880 250 ohm since I own a pair.
Different drivers, but execution may be similar being "semi" open back.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been eyeing the Dekoni Blue mainly for the colour and easy to modify.
Is there a headphone out there that you can think that is sonically similar for around the same price.

P.S. I've thought about the Bdynamic DT 880 250 ohm since I own a pair.
Different drivers, but execution may be similar being "semi" open back.
Well, it's just one of the Fostex T50 rp with a nice coat and dekoni pads on. Can't remember which revision but they don't change much. You could recreate easily with some T50 and whichever dekoni pads they use.

OP
SonicallyDeaF

SonicallyDeaF

Well, it's just one of the Fostex T50 rp with a nice coat and dekoni pads on. Can't remember which revision but they don't change much. You could recreate easily with some T50 and whichever dekoni pads they use.
I have been debating if the baby blue color is worth the extra money.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ZMF audio also has a modded T50 that comes with different pads and headband for around $220. I’ve been researching the T50 a lot myself and haven’t seen much correlative data from other planars that match them or do better.

OP
SonicallyDeaF

SonicallyDeaF

ZMF audio also has a modded T50 that comes with different pads and headband for around $220.
I checked the website out and looks like orders will resume next month. I don't know if stock will go by quick because I know at least a few thirsty audio enthusiasts are waiting for the cans to be in stock.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Count me in as one of them thirsty parrots. Those pads from ZMF looks better than the dekoni pads. Besides those fostex are a tinkerers dream if you love getting your paws grimey.

OP
SonicallyDeaF

SonicallyDeaF

I checked the website out and looks like orders will resume next month. I don't know if stock will go by quick because I know at least a few thirsty audio enthusiasts are waiting for the cans to be in stock.
Nevermind, I got confused. I was talking about the Argon MK3 that will be back in May. The ZMF's are in stock, just for clarification.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Jimbob54 Drop is such a conundrum, they don't provide any warranty for the products they sell and there isn't much of a sale at times. Good find anyways. I'm a bit conflicted to be honest between the Dekoni Blue or the ZMF mod, atleast the ZMF mod looks a bit better with their cowhide leather.

OP
SonicallyDeaF

SonicallyDeaF

After doing much needed audio gear contemplation, I believe that my ears will benefit more towards the Avantone Planar in Red color of course :)

I've consolidated much of my headphone collection and left with these:

Audio Technica M40x
Beyerdynamic DT 990
Senn HD 650
Dan Clark Aeon RT (open)
Moondrop Starfield

I did consider getting the Fostex T50, Sigva Phoenix, Meze 99 classics, Sundara, but to me those are just another headphones.
Maybe the last two to add to my modest collection will be the Avantone Planar and Austrian Audio X55.
And I go back re-visiting my other hobbies which are keyboard building and sneakers :)

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
After doing much needed audio gear contemplation, I believe that my ears will benefit more towards the Avantone Planar in Red color of course :)

I've consolidated much of my headphone collection and left with these:

Audio Technica M40x
Beyerdynamic DT 990
Senn HD 650
Dan Clark Aeon RT (open)
Moondrop Starfield

I did consider getting the Fostex T50, Sigva Phoenix, Meze 99 classics, Sundara, but to me those are just another headphones.
Maybe the last two to add to my modest collection will be the Avantone Planar and Austrian Audio X55.
And I go back re-visiting my other hobbies which are keyboard building and sneakers :)

Never heard of the Avantone but dare I ask, when you have the excellent DCA Aeon RT (As do I), you need a £300 pair of open planar? Or, put another way, how did you choose them?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Jimbob54 Drop is such a conundrum, they don't provide any warranty for the products they sell and there isn't much of a sale at times. Good find anyways. I'm a bit conflicted to be honest between the Dekoni Blue or the ZMF mod, atleast the ZMF mod looks a bit better with their cowhide leather.

Agreed about Drop. Ive pretty much only bought their exclusive audio collabs - in the UK there is no sense in using them for anything else due to the import fees and taxes, but some of their exclusives are excellent (some not)

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed about Drop. Ive pretty much only bought their exclusive audio collabs - in the UK there is no sense in using them for anything else due to the import fees and taxes, but some of their exclusives are excellent (some not)

Yea some exclusives are good, i got burned twice by them on things that didn't work out or never shipped. I usually browse to see what they're dropping and find it via different retail channel

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea some exclusives are good, i got burned twice by them on things that didn't work out or never shipped. I usually browse to see what they're dropping and find it via different retail channel

Think I have used them about 10 times- never had a bad experience tbh. Though the Meze 99 Noir were a mistake (very much not to my taste) but not a Drop issue.

OP
SonicallyDeaF

SonicallyDeaF

Never heard of the Avantone but dare I ask, when you have the excellent DCA Aeon RT (As do I), you need a £300 pair of open planar? Or, put another way, how did you choose them?

I more intrigued in hearing the Avantone Planar since not many people talk about them. Also, the cans have an Avant-garde look which to me is an added bonus if they turn out to be a good set.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@SonicallyDeaF I bought a pair of T50rp off Amazon, I also bought the vmoda cable and zmf cowhide oval pads

Top Bottom