• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Canon S-50 Wide Directivity Speaker Review

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the Canon is nice in the category of "sounds good" -- not that transparent so it can make bad recordings sound good. Not that veiled, so good recordings can still sound good.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be nice to compare this unit to its "opposite", the $89 flat 12-inch speaker IKEA Eneby. No interest in it?

dspstv

sansui_canon.jpg

Hello everyone, new here, first post. Very useful and educational information on this thread.

I just found 2 of these speakers for around ~30USD I have started by securing the mentioned bolts and proceeded to play some music! (saw the interior and the wool filling was clean and no considerable dust.. that gave me confidence, seems previous owner took good care.

I'm quite impressed (no audiophile here) by their response under a Sansui A-M70. They sound (Aphex Twin from the phone) balanced and sound expands wonderfully. One speaker has one of the cones/horn a bit bent and doesn't respond well to high freqs i'm assuming is not possible to fix the speaker without changing the whole set... but can live with it!

seanhyatt

Thanks for introducing this odd relic of stereo.
IMG_0717.jpg
I am not into vinatage speakers at all. That being said after this review I picked up a pair of s-35 for $120 and are very happy with them. They are in a recessed shelf space in my living room. This is the only safe place for speakers as I have two small kids. I had KEF Q150s there but they just sound dead in that challenging space with little depth. These produce a great hi-fi image with midishfi sound. They need
Audyssey to fix the limitations of the speakers as much as possible and tonally balance. Audyssey really changed the sound they put out more than I have heard on any other speaker. For the limitations of this space these work great and are enjoyable to listen to casually Inhave them crossed over to a Sony sub.. It would be interesting to upgrade them with a Modern driver. I am looking for another pair for our bedroom. A Big Bang for the buck in my opinion And great for family Living rooms with casual home theaters.

seanhyatt

Canon S-35 For Mono - Two Speakers Back to Back - Full 360

Using these now in a budget goodwill sourced mono system pulled way out from the wall With an old M&k sub. I love the sound. The mono dynamics and imaging amazed me. I actually hear instruments on the left and right side of the speaker. On the back they have the hardware to hang on a wall. Stereophile tested them on a shelf. However the S-35 sounds very congested againstbor near a wall.

Any recommendations using two of these back to back and the potential of cancelation issues? They sound good to me this way In mono.

Attachments

• AD7143EF-DF4E-48DF-ACCF-A3845719F811.jpeg
    AD7143EF-DF4E-48DF-ACCF-A3845719F811.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 98
  • C3BA99CB-59A1-421C-9D5D-771C1DAE0CB7.jpeg
    C3BA99CB-59A1-421C-9D5D-771C1DAE0CB7.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think these were more well known in the UK although they were available in the US for a short period. Definitely interesting and the Meridian design heritage and Japanese camera, printer, and copier company makes for strange bedfellows. Sort of reminds me of the TAG McLaren venture.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Installed the Burger King app on my phone to take advantage of the discounts they offer. Just got a notification that the Whopper is being sold for just $2!!! I am going to run out there and get one instead of quality/healthy food which would cost more. That is where I am money-wise. If you want this to change, please donate what you can using : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Well at least you got some exercise!
And the Whopper Junior is the BEST BURGER EVER!

This speaker is Perfect for an Art Gallery and actual people's living rooms. Not everyone has the IKEA Square layout as I like to call it , where it's even possible to set up speakers in the standard arrangement.

I just always liked the look of them. These days, I don't even bother with Home audio all that much. But something like this would be GREAT for the holidays and outdoor environments one would think. I wonder if anyone has ever measured one of those TIC Omnidirectional speakers like these?
s-l640.jpg

Seems these ones with the LED light are nowhere to be found anymore. Its even rare to see these kinds of omnidirectional speakers anywhere in residential installs.

The last time I heard these in person was at a defunct hardware store display. And they really sounded horrible at ear level where they were showcased.

Now everything is like this but with Bluetooth.
I have a feeling that we will see more designs like this in the future.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Pair of Canon S-35 wide arrived feb last year and I tested with terminator dark fate, atnos just down mixed to stereo "don't touch me".

Sam3

Does anyone know how these compare to the Mirage Omni bookshelf size speakers?

K0RnY

As a young teenager who couldn't afford to buy them when they first appeared on the market, I've always been interested and intrigued by them, probably more for their futuristic design at the time, and their wide-band concept, than for any Hifi qualities.

Today, I've finally bought a pair of Canon S-35s, having had a relatively interesting opportunity, and above all out of nostalgia. Also for the fact that they're two-way, potentially a little more advanced than the S-50s.

And I find, quite honestly, that they work rather well, everything being relative of course to their size and capabilities.
Their placement, on the other hand, is quite decisive for good results.
I didn't notice any major distortion at reasonable volumes, and I was expecting a much more unbalanced sound given the reviews (whether Amir's on the S-50s, or John Atkinson's in Stereophile for these S-35s).
The sound is full-bodied and spreads widely across the room, making them excellent candidates for anyone looking for ambient sound.

I also wanted to thank Phil Ward (@Philberish) for his blog and his 5-part account of Canon's audio history. It's a real pleasure to read, and makes me feel part of a past adventure!

IMG_20230527_224407.jpg
IMG_20230527_224511.jpg
IMG_20230527_224547.jpg

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The sound is full-bodied and spreads widely across the room, making them excellent candidates for anyone looking for ambient sound.

I also wanted to thank Phil Ward (@Philberish) for his blog and his 5-part account of Canon's audio history. It's a real pleasure to read, and makes me feel part of a past adventure!

I personally found that the Canon’s are surprisingly good for solo vocals including rock ballads like that from A Star is Born.

Much like the Bose 901, these non traditional dispersion speakers punch well above their weight when paired with today’s electronics. I suspect EQ with the Canon S-35 will work great too.

Top Bottom