• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Canon S-50 Wide Directivity Speaker Review

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this is good evidence that @amirm has a very strong preference for wide dispersion. We shall see going forward, but I expect well measuring wide dispersion designs to do much better than well measuring narrow dispersion designs.

I believe @amirm would have been among those who preferred the Salon 2 over the M2, despite the M2 having better spinorama.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Preference Rating
SCORE: -0.1
SCORE w/ sub: 2.4

Thanks for the review Amir!

I think this is probably a good example of a speaker with measurements that are worse to the eye than the ear, though this can't be good any way you cut it (and I wouldn't expect that from such an old speaker!). In a more modern example, I had a somewhat similar experience with the Sonos Move which has a very uneven top half of its response yet it sounds very nice in balance, with an in-room response that's much smoother than the measurements would have you think:

index.php

In-room compression tests at 1.3m show the actual single-location in-room response. Despite the squiggles, it's clear Sonos was aiming for a smoothly descending in-room response, suggesting the company was following the science while going for a semi-omni design.

1591826644719.png

This is perhaps predicted best by the total horizontal reflections in this case:

1591826736232.png

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What's causing the horizontal dispersion to vary above 3K?
Maybe the two wide vertical supports start to cause reflections once the wavelength gets small enough for their dimensions to become significant.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review Amir!

I think this is probably a good example of a speaker with measurements that are worse to the eye than the ear, though this can't be good any way you cut it (and I wouldn't expect that from such an old speaker!). In a more modern example, I had a somewhat similar experience with the Sonos Move which has a very uneven top half of its response yet it sounds very nice in balance, with an in-room response that's much smoother than the measurements would have you think:

index.php

In-room compression tests at 1.3m show the actual single-location in-room response:

View attachment 68269

This is perhaps predicted best by the total horizontal reflections in this case:

View attachment 68270

The Toole/Olive research is pretty old at this point. Perhaps it doesn't apply well to the omni devices like the Alexa/Homepod that we see today?

jam

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this is good evidence that @amirm has a very strong preference for wide dispersion. We shall see going forward, but I expect well measuring wide dispersion designs to do much better than well measuring narrow dispersion designs.

I believe @amirm would have been among those who preferred the Salon 2 over the M2, despite the M2 having better spinorama.

Possible counterpoint:

This is a super wide dispersion design, and listening in mono gives a huge advantage to wide dispersion that doesn't exist in stereo.

Based on the double blind listening tests I've done, both of my friends preferred the narrow dispersion speaker(sharper imaging) in stereo, but in mono they preferred the wide dispersion speaker.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

tjf

The things of 30 years are what interests me that Amir measures.
Thanks Amir.

I'd second that, it would be cool to see how the Omni designs hold up today, such as this remake of the old Stu Hegeman Omni speaker from Don Morrison:

https://www.morrisonaudio.com/

Or the attempt to copy these designs made by Mirage in Canada:

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/revequip/mirage_omni60.htm

Or even how some of the Carlsson designs (Sonab, etc.) would fare....but the Carlsson types are not Omni, but try to accommodate room boundary acoustics and controlled dispersion patterns with corner placement, special driver baffle mounting angles, etc. -- prob hard to measure on the Klippel...

https://teenage.engineering/products/od-11/carlssonstory

Last edited:

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope Amir gets to test a Sausalito speaker at one point if he like this one, warts and all.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I came here expecting a mess, and I got it....

I almost didn't post in order to prevent the thread from getting more attention. LOL

Next!

Dogen

Forum Donor
Thanks for reviewing this odd, old speaker. Not denying their issues, but something about the sound of omnidirectional speakers really appeals to me. Are there any that are good performers, or is the concept just too flawed to deliver good measurements?

sam_adams

Major Contributor

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for reviewing this odd, old speaker. Not denying their issues, but something about the sound of omnidirectional speakers really appeals to me. Are there any that are good performers, or is the concept just too flawed to deliver good measurements?

MBL speakers sound great even though they have the same diffraction errors at the high frequencies. The problem is that they are outrageously expensive and inefficient.

Magnepan speakers are dipoles, but as very flat panels, they end up delivering very good sound, although again, they do not measure well. They are spectacular for “singer with a guitar” type music.

In both cases, I think it may be challenging to have them as your only speaker for all of your music if you have eclectic tastes

AudioTodd

Brutal! I have to say it doesn't sound like -0.1 speaker. The equal weighting of high frequencies with others is a mistake I think in the algorithm. Response is actually pretty good up to 3 kHz or so.
Your inner subjectivist sneaking out?? ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm it would seem from the listening test that you likely had buzzing in the speaker from the helmet during the Klippel test, which seems like it would destroy any reliability of the measurements. Are you sure the helmet was stable during the testing?
I was sitting on it during the measurement so no distortion was coming there. I had eaten something that may have produced some "gas." So perhaps that was the issue with high frequencies.

Top Bottom