• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cannot live without digital room correction now

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It is the best as it allows you absolute freedom. Almost every other Hardware EQ is limited in one way or another.
Would you mind elaborating a bit further? I have never experienced Room Perfect, so no idea why it's less limited than Dirac or Audyssey.

poxymoron

I do not know how I was able to tolerate the lack of DRC before, but after REW/Roon DSP and now RoomPerfect I cannot imagine not having it.
For me, having just implemented room correction with my miniDSP Flex, I would totally agree. Some rooms might be more forgiving than mine, with a wall right behind my listening position, but it really is a game changer.
Up to that point, I was using my headphones for most of my listening, with my wife and kids asking why I wasn't using my hifi. They've no reason to ask that question anymore.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would you mind elaborating a bit further? I have never experienced Room Perfect, so no idea why it's less limited than Dirac or Audyssey.
It depends on the Room Perfect version. On early ones (like mine) it did what it did and all you could change was add a choice of "voicing" (i.e. fixed tone shaping like "low bass" or "news"). Modern versions I believe have effectively the ability to modify the target curve. I did manage to reverse engineer the old voicing tool file format to implement custom PEQs though. I can't even remember how I did that now!

DIRAC has the ability to shape the target curve at will or restrict its frequency correction range (but I think phase is corrected full range always).

OP
curiouspeter

curiouspeter

DIRAC has the ability to shape the target curve at will or restrict its frequency correction range (but I think phase is corrected full range always).
I think RP does not use a target curve. But I do make my own voicing for TV shows. The bass can make some male actors hard to hear clearly. Also, I can watch TV late without disturbing my wife, cat, or neighbors.

Freeway

Lyngdorf is able to put that in a $2500 product. They will even include a very nice calibrated microphone and a tripod in the package!

After running RP, which booster bass a bit, I was surprised how much bass I needed to cut for regular dialog-heavy TV shows in the EQ.

Buchardt has it in their i150 amp @ $2,500. Just uses an iPhone's mike. Go all over the room, up down all around for 60 seconds.
The auto Room EQ is for correction of room modes. Done in the lower FR..
There also is some manual EQing, high and low crossovers and other stuff too.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
OP
curiouspeter

curiouspeter

Buchardt has it in their i150 amp @ $2,500. Just uses an iPhone's mike. Go all over the room, up down all around for 60 seconds.
The auto Room EQ is for correction of room modes. Done in the lower FR..
There also is some manual EQing, high and low crossovers and other stuff too.
RP and Dirac will do more than room modes.

That said, it will be an improvement over having no DRC.

IIRC, the Buchardt is not Roon Ready.

dougi

Surely it must?
It does, but the info with the products don't talk about targets. If you dig up more info on it (such as the AES paper) it is clear it does have a target curve, and shapes it depending upon the measured sound power. It also adapts it to the "natural" HF and LF rolloff of your speakers.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Surely it must?
I believe it shoots for a basic "flat", as opposed to any 'room curve or preference".

The world of DRC today is huge and growing all the time.
I have zero hands-on experience with any but the very early Pioneer system and modern Audyssey. I have done quite a bit of homework investigating the capabilities on much of what's out there, it can be dizzing and confusing.
I do tip my hat to both Dirac and Audyssey for each offering various levels of complexity (and pricing) making them an excellent choice for either the novice or expert.
If you really want to roll up your sleeves and dig in, our member @mitchco offers his HLConvolver system of comparing various curves, etc using Acourate, Audiolense and Focus Fidelity software. He even offers personal technical support if you'd be interested in a helping hand dealing with the highest level software.

Top Bottom