• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Canjam SoCal Headphone and Audio Show 2019 Part 2

Belgarathian

So how do you like it?

I enjoy it (particularly the aesthetic) but it never wow'd me (Chord Qutest + Pathos an upgrade from Audeze Deckard).... Plugged my LCD-X into the Bryston BHA-1 and it's night-and-day. Just seems cleaner, less veiled. That said, the Pathos is a 1/4" TRS and the Bryston is a 4-pin XLR balanced which may make a difference. It didn't seem like a subtle difference either... Don't know, maybe it's just me!

There doesn't seem to be an audible noise floor, even with the gain pot all the way over and the volume on full fed by the Qutest at 2V

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just so you get a good feel of the reception I get at shows, here is how this guy at Cardas reacted:
What have I ever done to make you to treat me so disrespectfully. If you had come to me in friendship then this scum would be suffering this very day. And if by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies then they would become my enemies. And then, they would fear you. :cool:

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The most amazing thing I heard was Rob Watts saying (again after yesterday's session) that he can measure and hear distortions at 300 dB down. Let me say that again, he is saying he can easily identify differences that are 300 dB lower than reference. That is 50 dB

Several times quoted and no one saw the obvious typo?

Tks

Major Contributor
Several times quoted and no one saw the obvious typo?

50 dB?

As for the Canjam coverage. I must say.. I melt everytime I lay eyes on the Meze Empyrean's. Honestly you can bring Focals, HD800S's, LCD's and such, but they all look like products of an up and coming industry compared to the aesthetic design and sophisticated look the Empyreans exude.

Reminds me of the RME DAC and no doubt would go well with it ;-D

While other headphones look like they're coming in with improperly tailored tuxedos (overkill tryhards), while the Meze are in just a nice custom made Italian suit for business/happy hour. It also helps that the cans look like they took ergonomics somewhat as serious as the aesthetics. Also little things like interchangable magnetic earpads (easy swap, not the current Paleolithic bullshit we have to put up with these days for many other headphones where you're worried you're going to pry them to pieces when changing pads, or simply making a mess if nothing else).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Was Watts repeating his claim that his custom noiseshapers run at -350dB as in the presentation below?

That covers the lowest 6 bits or so of 64 bit...

He could probably claim more (less?) if it's just the precision of the calculations he's talking about (didn't listen to his spiel).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ouch, he actually turned away after the introduction? I just had a flashback to high school dances.
No, we didn't talk. That was a joke. He just didn't pay attention as I walked up to the table. I should have put my crown on so that he would know the King of Audio had approached him!!! :D

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The most amazing thing I heard was Rob Watts saying (again after yesterday's session) that he can measure and hear distortions at 300 dB down. Let me say that again, he is saying he can easily identify differences that are 300 dB lower than reference. That is 50 bits of dynamic range!!! Not 24, not 32, but 50 bits. He says this is impossible but that he hears it. Right.....

Which device is good enough to produce only -300dB of distortion? We need to find one in order to test it, I guess.

Then, which other parts of a system (amp, speakers/phones) are good enough to make you hear distortion of -300dB in a device and not adding any higher distortion?

Isn't it the accumulation of distortions (THD, IMD) in the chain that is audible, instead of a -300dB distortion signal?

Tks

Major Contributor
Which device is good enough to produce only -300dB of distortion? We need to find one in order to test it, I guess.

Then, which other parts of a system (amp, speakers/phones) are good enough to make you hear distortion of -300dB in a device and not adding any higher distortion?

Isn't it the accumulation of distortions (THD, IMD) in the chain that is audible, instead of a -300dB distortion signal?

Must I drag someone outside this forum to tell you how we can't measure some things? How the human hearing sense will never be fully measurable nor understood by us nor emulated? That means while we can hear it, useless machines will never be able to hear it.

o_O fOrGeT aBoUt AlL tHaT sCiEnCe MuMbOjUmBo o_O

maxxevv

Major Contributor

Maybe his prototype device immersed in liquid helium or chilled to -200 Kelvin ? :p

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
That covers the lowest 6 bits or so of 64 bit...

He could probably claim more (less?) if it's just the precision of the calculations he's talking about (didn't listen to his spiel).

He doesn't go into specifics apart from making claims so there's no way to tell. I just listened to another talk he delivered six months ago to make sure, and it was the same story in the same order. In general, he presents claims and his reasoning but no data. When he mentions listening tests it's in an offhand way.

invaderzim

No, we didn't talk. That was a joke. He just didn't pay attention as I walked up to the table. I should have put my crown on so that he would know the King of Audio had approached him!!! :D

That actually seems worse. He didn't ignore you because of your background he just ignored an interested person.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That actually seems worse. He didn't ignore you because of your background he just ignored an interested person.
He was probably immersed in setting up some Bybee interface to his cables, and was preoccupied with how to align the electrons without interfering with the mu-Meson flow.

invaderzim

He was probably immersed in setting up some Bybee interface to his cables, and was preoccupied with how to align the electrons without interfering with the mu-Meson flow.

That is when you drop a few small signs next to things on the desk that read "Free Samples"

Dongulus

Does anyone have some tips for getting the most out of a show like this? Next time I would like to be a little better prepared (i.e. music selection, research etc).

Top Bottom