• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CanJam Singapore 2023 (25-26 March)

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Anyone going? Might pop by, have sold my LCD-2C, and definitely looking into a side/minor upgrade. Maybe snag a show demo deal. Audeze after EQ are impeccable but the neck strain is immense...

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Went on the tail end of the second day. No photos but I expect plenty from the Head-fi media corps. Who'd have thought there are so many reviewers with enough of a following to justify flying down for the show.

Impressions:

Rosson MPL-0 - new, more affordable Rosson Audio Labs headphone, priced at $1,699. Rosson was the CEO of Audeze before starting his own, smaller-scale brand. They depart from Audeze with a smaller, 66mm driver. Seems like there's a tad more low treble but more rolled-off high treble than the RAD-0 I've tried before, which had a significant 5-8kHz depression. That's a compromise I can deal with. 1699USD MSRP. I very nearly contemplated breaking the piggy bank for this. They went for maple cups with what seems like one of those fancy nitrocellulose finishes you see in guitars - glossy yet hardy.

Audeze MM-500 - the new headband and earcup design is miles ahead for ergonomics from the old Audeze design. I especially love that the 2-4kHz range is spot-on now, but I think it needs a gentle +1dB high-shelf from 6K because it is slightly dull. Wow, just Audeze planar performance, plus pinna gain, great build quality, and a whole heap more ergonomics, with a distinctive industrial design to boot. There is a reassuring heft that is a lot more well-distributed. I hope the design trickles down to the LCD-2 price range.

DCA Aeon 2 Noire - the sensitivity to seal that led me to sell my Aeon 2 Open is still present here. I was surprised that I didn't find the full pinna gain sibilant, as I usually go for 1-1.5dB below Harman's peak while the Noire closely tracks it. With a broken seal from worn pads, glasses and hair, the bass had a tubby quality to it.

Meze 109 Pro - Best comfort, and a close second to the MM-500 for industrial design. I think this is very well-priced for a clear step up in build above the HD650/600 range. It had a touch better power handling than the HD650, but seemed to lack some slam at 120Hz down. It also stays flat at 1-2kHz instead of adding pinna gain, and this gives a slight hollowness to the sound. But definitely a worthy contender! I only wrote it off because of bass; IMHO headphones already lose out to speakers in bass, so what bass there is should exceed what speakers can do. And great planars give such bass performance.

InEar StageDiver 3 - a slight metallic edge around 8kHz and slightly more bright than neutral, with a rising response in the last octave.

InEar Black Bronze - supposed to be an entry-level crossover product for the gaming market by this German boutique IEM firm, rather than it's bread and butter, but surprisingly very pleasant! The top-octave roll off was noticable but not objectionable. Just a bit recessed around 400-800Hz for my liking. Lovely build quality as well. I was very close to buying these in CIEM form, but I could never justify spending full-sized headphone prices for IEMs. Especially when multi-BA setups still lack the displacement of a well-engineered mass-produced dynamic driver - my Moondrop Lans are still much better in the 50-400Hz range.

FitEar Aya - A bit of edge at 4kHz and lack of presence at 2kHz. I had heard so much about FitEar being this brilliant Japanese boutique brand but this was disappointing. The 4kHz emphasis starts to grow on you after a while as it emphasises the trailing edge of vocals, but the lack of energy at 2kHz is hard to ignore. Generally I found the midrange to low treble transition significantly more natural with the InEar.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice! Do you have any pictures?

Unfortunately not, as I went in with the intention of trying a very select range of headphones quickly and picking one to buy at show pricing.

In the end I went for the Audeze LCD-2 Fazors as I didn't want to break the bank for the MM-500 or MPL-0, yet found the 109 Pro's bass disappointingly anaemic and with disappointingly odd imaging considering the effort of Meze to angle the drivers.

Top Bottom