• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cancelled: $50 from 5 People, Pioneer RM-07 (Or other coaxial alternative) to Amirm

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Screenshot_20200522-002410_Chrome.png
Looking to split the cost of this to send a unit to Amirm. I'd pay $100, and need six others. It's a coaxial speaker that I think would be great for surround speakers in an active setup. Only measurements I can find are of the port, and Pioneer's own.

http://www.pioneerproaudio.com/en/studio/studiospeakers/rm_0705.html

Open to other suggestions, but looking for something that is a cheaper alternative to the highest scoring Genelec 8341 speaker currently, and these look like they could be used for surrounds easily with how compact they are. Less expensive, hopefully not too cheap sounding. I also like that they paid attention to diffraction and have extremely rigid, cast aluminum housings.

Not sure what to do with it after if one of the other people contributing wants it. If it scores close to the Genelec 8341 I'd be interested in it, or maybe whomever wants it shipped to them after testing can pay the others $50 back each?

Even cheaper coaxial option I'd be interested in would be the Tannoy Golds that are out now, or maybe something as cheap as the Fluid Audio FX 80, though that I doubt will score higher than the IN-8s that I already have.

Note: Not sure how backed up Amirm is, or if there's a post for "how to send/submit a speaker" but that would be useful if we settle things and there are like minded people.

UPDATE: Cancelled as a forum member found a magazine that measured these... and they are rather abysmal with dispersion horizontally on part with a mediocre, two way non-coaxial.. I'd rather put the money towards sending something with a good chance of being a decent purchase for some people.

1590171166685.png

Last edited:

Webninja

Forum Donor
If I wasn’t unemployed I’d pitch in, but thanks for putting these on my radar. It’s tough thinking about upgrading my 305mkii without a huge increase in price.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also like that they paid attention to diffraction and have extremely rigid, cast aluminum housings.
That tiny waveguide ending "in the air" is not enough, the tweeter will "see" the huge surrounds even if their nice marketing photos tell the opposite. Also even the catalogue on-axis plot already shows an almost 4dB rise at 10 kHz, I am afraid these won't be by far a "cheap 8341 cousin" and not even a match for JBL 30x, it gives me the impression of product with tries to impress secondary features like aluminum housing to distract from major deficits.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. Thanks for taking the initiative. I will match the total donations so you don't need to raise all $600. :)

Awesome! I appreciate it.

Amir: Up to $350
Stevenswall $100

Now we only need 5 others at $50!

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well this seems like a waste of money to even test.

Open to other suggestions. My goal is to find something better than an IN-8 that is active and has coaxial drivers. A "Poor man's Genelec" if you will, and this being somewhat compact is a bonus. I think the RM07 would be interesting to test due to the dispersion, and to see if they avoided issues with having the tweeter offset in its own shallow "waveguide" like that. Apparently that tweeter is something that trickled down from TAD which is typically associated with crazy expensive stuff. Testing we can see if it's special, or just something nice to reference for marketing.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My goal is to find something better than an IN-8 that is active and has coaxial drivers.
Unfortunately you won't find yet something better in the price range of the IN-8, we all would love a Genelec coax for much less money, but high end engineering has its price.
Apparently that tweeter is something that trickled down from TAD which is typically associated with crazy expensive stuff.
Nope, the TAD coaxial has a surface that blends to the mid driver like all other good coaxial drivers (KEF and Genelec).

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Open to other suggestions. My goal is to find something better than an IN-8 that is active and has coaxial drivers. A "Poor man's Genelec" if you will, and this being somewhat compact is a bonus.
I'd love see the Technics SB-C700 tested, especially in comparison with KEF coaxials. However the SB-C700 is not exactly cheap.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love see the Technics SB-C700 tested, especially in comparison with KEF coaxials. However the SB-C700 is not exactly cheap.

Not active like I'd prefer, but I'd chip in $50 for that if you made another thread.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Need more information, what about them? I'm looking for a somewhat compact active monitor that can potentially compete with a Genelec when it comes to dispersion. The Philharmonitor has terrible vertical dispersion unfortunately. It is also passive with legacy crossovers and legacy cabinet design that I don't think is on the market anymore and doesn't look like it tries to control diretivity like several of the higher scoring speakers here do. Good for a DIY project I imagine, but very different than what I'd like to have tested.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Unfortunately you won't find yet something better in the price range of the IN-8, we all would love a Genelec coax for much less money, but high end engineering has its price.

Nope, the TAD coaxial has a surface that blends to the mid driver like all other good coaxial drivers (KEF and Genelec).

I'll generously donate $7k for dollar for dollar matching of a purchase of a TAD Micro Evolution One for Amir to test if you guys want.

(I'd keep them afterwards, of course).

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll generously donate $7k for dollar for dollar matching of a purchase of a TAD Micro Evolution One for Amir to test if you guys want.

(I'd keep them afterwards, of course).

I'd love to see an active version of that with zero parallel walls and whatever they need to do to match a Devialet Phantom Gold's bass extension for that price. Maybe make it a four way with two opposing subwoofers on the sides.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'd love to see an active version of that with zero parallel walls and whatever they need to do to match a Devialet Phantom Gold's bass extension for that price. Maybe make it a four way with two opposing subwoofers on the sides.

Or just get a Phantom?

(full disclosure, I own a Devialet Expert Pro, but not a Phantom, so I'm probably brand biased)

jonfitch

This looks interesting, you don't usually see coaxials with 1.6KHz crossovers.

On the other hand tweeters that can usually handle such a low crossover are usually very high xmax tweeters in order to avoid compression and tend to be very expensive (usually $400+/pair). Since these are $1300 powered speakers, I really doubt the capability of the tweeters here.

Top Bottom