• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cancelled: $50 from 5 People, Pioneer RM-07 (Or other coaxial alternative) to Amirm

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
doesn't look like it tries to control diretivity like several of the higher scoring speakers here do.
The BMR has very wide dispersion due to the modal way it works. I would love to see Amir measurement a speaker using one. A friend of mine was one of the development team and has designed several for different clients. The difficulty is hf consistency since the surround, necessary for the seal at lower frequencies, is difficult to make accurate enough and cheap enough for consistent edge performance at very high frequencies.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The BMR has very wide dispersion due to the modal way it works. I would love to see Amir measurement a speaker using one. A friend of mine was one of the development team and has designed several for different clients. The difficulty is hf consistency since the surround, necessary for the seal at lower frequencies, is difficult to make accurate enough and cheap enough for consistent edge performance at very high frequencies.

Even BMRs built to a low cost can show extraordinary performance (extended, smooth response, great off-axis, good distortion etc.), as in the case of the $17/piece BMR used in Dennis Murphy's Philharmonitor BMR. It's puzzling we haven't seen a cost-no-object (or at least, less cost-constrained) BMR design with hopefully even higher performance. Naim had the short-lived Ovator that used an early specimen but I recall disappointing performance.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even BMRs built to a low cost can show extraordinary performance (extended, smooth response, great off-axis, good distortion etc.), as in the case of the $17/piece BMR used in Dennis Murphy's Philharmonitor BMR. It's puzzling we haven't seen a cost-no-object (or at least, less cost-constrained) BMR design with hopefully even higher performance. Naim had the short-lived Ovator that used an early specimen but I recall disappointing performance.
I have only heard prototypes. They sounded brilliant to me.
I suspect the Naims weren't liked because they were different to Naim's usual speakers so their customers got the unexpected and people prefer what they are used to.
I have been looking for a well priced used pair of Ovator 600s because I would expect then to be good :) whatever Naim fans said.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have only heard prototypes. They sounded brilliant to me.
I suspect the Naims weren't liked because they were different to Naim's usual speakers so their customers got the unexpected and people prefer what they are used to.
I have been looking for a well priced used pair of Ovator 600s because I would expect then to be good :) whatever Naim fans said.

It sounded a tad congested to me, but much better than say, a Manger as far as widebanders go.

Top Bottom