• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Canare L-2T2S wiring?

veeceem

So I plan to DIY my shielded subwoofer rca cable using Canare L-2T2S
Length: 5 meter (is this okay as long as it's shielded?)

My question is how do I wire it for maximum shielding? Because if I don't shield my IC, there will be hum/hiss/buzz from the tweeters.
It has 1 blue wire, 1 white wire, and the shield.
I have 2 ways of wiring in mind:
1/ Blue as hot, white+shield twisted together as chassis GND
2/ Blue as hot, shield as chassis GND, and white leave unconnected.
3/ Another way that's better?
Thanks
high-performance-ultra-flex-3.jpg

Attachments

• high-performance-ultra-flex-3.jpg
    high-performance-ultra-flex-3.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 96

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
If RCA at both ends, I would first connect blue/white to ground/hot at the source (driving) end and same at the load (speaker) end. Which does not matter; just make sure you are consistent at both ends (e.g. blue = ground at both ends, white = hot at both ends). Then connect the shield to ground only at the source end. That will allow the shield to reject noise aggressors along the length of the cable. Hopefully that is good enough.

From there it gets more complex, using resistors, transformers, or active components to create a (quasi-)differential ("balanced") circuit.

HTH - Don

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My question is how do I wire it for maximum shielding?

The shielding is all in the umm, shielding. And the L-2T2S’s shielding is the most robust I’ve ever seen in a braided shield. There is no connection scheme you can do that will either improve or degrade the cable’s shielding.

Now, if you have noise issues being injected into your signal path elsewhere, that’s another story...

Personally I typically just tie the white and blue together. That makes for a more reliable cable: If one of the conductors ever breaks, you still have continuity and a functioning cable.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Top Bottom