• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Canadians: does Yorkville compare to Crown?

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I haven't compared the specs to the Crown or Behringer power amp yet, but seeing as lack of power in my amp is most likely the reason for my unsatisfactory sound, I am tempted to rent one of these for a month and see how it compares to my entry level Anthem AV receiver (MRX300) for stereo music.

https://yorkville.com/amplifiers/product/px1700/

Does anyone have any experience? Not sure this brand makes it out of Canada, though they are located in the same Toronto suburb as Lenbrook (NAD, PSB, Bluesound).

Local music store will rent them for only $30/month so it seems like a fun experiment.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

I have a friend who got an older model, an AB class.

he opened it and it's very well built. The sound compares to excellent audiophile grade amps. This company design and produce quality for a fair price. In addition to my friend amp, we realize that it was designed to be easily repaired. It's sturdy and reliable, surely comparable to Crown.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It has service manual wow :) the only weird spec is that fr is 30Hz to 20kHz -+1dB maybe the DC protection kicks in early but for the intended use some couple of dB loss off sub bass may actually be beneficial most speakers cant do any good in the 10-30Hz range anyway that's for your sub .
An PA speakers don't always go super low they trade that for efficiency and spl

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Why would anyone need 400 watts at 8 ohms?

JEarle

Forum Donor
It has service manual wow :) the only weird spec is that fr is 30Hz to 20kHz -+1dB maybe the DC protection kicks in early but for the intended use some couple of dB loss off sub bass may actually be beneficial most speakers cant do any good in the 10-30Hz range anyway that's for your sub .
An PA speakers don't always go super low they trade that for efficiency and spl
Unless you are Meyer :) (and a few others that I don’t remember)

https://meyersound.com/product/vlfc/

Though have never real found much reason for energy down there, beyond a special effect type thing, in a live situation.

JEarle

Forum Donor
I haven't compared the specs to the Crown or Behringer power amp yet, but seeing as lack of power in my amp is most likely the reason for my unsatisfactory sound, I am tempted to rent one of these for a month and see how it compares to my entry level Anthem AV receiver (MRX300) for stereo music.

https://yorkville.com/amplifiers/product/px1700/

Those Yorkville amps look very Crest-esk, wonder if they are the OEM mfg?

shal

You are in Canada, Why do not consider Bryston amplifier.
I guess that it is easy to fond used Bryston in Canda

OP
ripmixburn

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
You are in Canada, Why do not consider Bryston amplifier.
I guess that it is easy to fond used Bryston in Canda

Huge difference in price. Even on the secondhand market Bryston are not anywhere near the price of this professional amp.

For only $30 a month, I am excited to find out if the lack of power is what has been missing from my system. Very cheap experiment and they will include the RCA to 1/4 inch adapters I need.

OP
ripmixburn

ripmixburn

Forum Donor

H-713

I've never used those, but they may perform just fine. Crown amps are generally "OK", there are much better things you could compare this to. If you can find a QSC PowerLight / DCAxxxx, that would be a much better amp than the Crown. Amir measured one of the DCA amps. I can confirm from my own testing of my PL230 that there was something wrong with the bad channel in the amp he tested - both channels of my PL230 measure the same as the good channel on that DCA2422. They're EXCELLENT quality amplifiers that measure well. They can't quite meet the performance of the MC2 amplifiers, but they come close enough and are easy to get for a reasonable price.

These Yorkville amps are NOT in any way related to Crest. Pretty much everyone and their dog has copied the physical design of the Crest CA series. Looking at the service manual, the circuit for the power amp is a QSC ripoff. Nothing wrong with that, but completely different from anything Crest ever made. Crest amps are also very nice in a home setting. I use a 3301 and I quite like it. It's not as nice as my MC2 amplifiers, but not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

You often need more than 400W at 8 ohms in a pro setting, and it doesn't hurt to have that kind of power in a home setting.

Hifidan

Hi, Ripmixburn
I have the px1700 and it is driving a pair of DIY subs with a 2 ohms load with a measure frequency response down to 21 hz -3db. This amp goes down even thou the specs says otherwise. The 2 fans are always on but they are really quiet. You can barely hear them at 6 feet. The case is sturdy and the built quality is top notch. It's been on almost 2 years without a glitch.
Cheers

OP
ripmixburn

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
Hi, Ripmixburn
I have the px1700 and it is driving a pair of DIY subs with a 2 ohms load with a measure frequency response down to 21 hz -3db. This amp goes down even thou the specs says otherwise. The 2 fans are always on but they are really quiet. You can barely hear them at 6 feet. The case is sturdy and the built quality is top notch. It's been on almost 2 years without a glitch.
Cheers

oh thanks! I am aiming to drive my main speakers, but my receiver only provides binding posts (I use banana plugs) and RCA (unbalanced) outs. Looks like I’ll need new cables or at least adapters for both speakers and receiver main pre out.

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Top Bottom