• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you review a Synchro-Mesh S/PDIF re-clocker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Lets get my Mutec to ASR's test bench as well so we can get to the bottom of these reclockers!

Regarding the higher return shipping costs back to Finland @amirm, could we maybe ask some small donations from those members, who would like to see the Mutec measured? Just a thought, maybe there are a few? :)

What for? I don't have a problem believing that Mutec corrected jitter on some CD player from 2003. I have problem believeing that correction was audible and I certainly have problem believing there would be jitter to correct to with say Topping D10, not to mention better DACs. ;)

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I feel I need to clarify the reason why I got the Mutec. :) It is quite versatile as a digital switcher between USB, SPDIF(coax+opt) and AES. I feed the SPDIF coax to Khadas ToneBoard + JDS Atom and AES to Genelec 8331+7350 speakers. The reclocking seems to be irrelevant in my use case, because the Genelecs reclock the signal again. The led display is also a nice addition to see info about the incoming signal.

OP
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Audio Company
Lets get my Mutec to ASR's test bench as well so we can get to the bottom of these reclockers!

Regarding the higher return shipping costs back to Finland @amirm, could we maybe ask some small donations from those members, who would like to see the Mutec measured? Just a thought, maybe there are a few? :)

How about a shootout? Mine is cheaper than the Mutec.

captain paranoia

Of course, the easy way to avoid all this nonsense is to use a proper, destination-clocked transfer protocol. Then you won't need to use SPDIF and reclocking at all.

It's what CD players do when using their internal DAC. It's what network players do. It's what 'asynchronous USB' interface DACs do. It's what software defined radios do.

SPDIF output from a CD transport to an external DAC was a technical blind alley.

This thread appears to me to be nothing more than touting for business. It's a shame that the OP didn't immediately identify the vested interest in the product. Still, at least it's helped me to add another manufacturer to my 'bargepole' list...

Krunok

Major Contributor
How about a shootout? Mine is cheaper than the Mutec.

@amirm This is ridiculous - if it ever was this obviously isn't a technical discussion anymore so I really suggest this is moved to desperate dealers section so nonsense like this can be contained there for whoever finds it amusing to read.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am closing the thread so that I can finish the darn review of this product without spending time on moderation.

And yes, I will also move it to desperate dealers subforum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom