• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you review a Synchro-Mesh S/PDIF re-clocker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you think that this is the first time I have had this conversation, you would be mistaken.

Are you trying to tell us that you are a slow learner?

/snark

OP
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Audio Company
In the best possible case, the PLL in this gadget is perfect, producing a completely jitter-free reference matching the average rate of the input. This is still going to differ slightly from the local oscillator.

There is no perfect PLL, however when up-sampling to 24/96, the clock can be completely independent of the input data rate. The FIFO never underruns or overruns because the algorithm interpolates. The output clocking makes no effort to follow the input clocking.. If the algorithm is really good, skipping a sample every so often or inserting more than one sample is not a problem. None of this adds to jitter. It's only the ASRC distortion. If you want to call that jitter I think this is a mischaracterization. I used to be able to hear ASRC effects, but with this re-sampler chip, not anymore.

One thing I have noticed is that when the SM is configured for 44.1 (I can configure it for an S/R) and I use certain sources, the jitter seems to be even lower. I believe this is because the two clocks are very close, so a high percentage of the original samples are untouched. If you read the specs on this chip, it is capable of that.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The problem is that the uploader will not allow me to attach sample .wav track files here, so I need a method to make them available.
YOu have to put it in dropbox and share here. Our limits are too low for audio sharing.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Even zipping them independently, it says file too large. They vary from 20-66MBytes.
Well then you need dropbox or similar. You also could use firefox send (any browser, doesn't need to be firefox).
https://send.firefox.com/

You can allow up to 100 downloads. Free no need to have an account. 1gig file size limit without account, 2.5 gig file size if you sign up for a free account.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone planning to unzip the sample files may want to wait until the first day of next month when I plan to release "ZipChord", my audiophile unzipper. "ZipChord" works by resampling the compressed bitstream into an intermediary hexadecimal representation that is then processed on the coldest processor core of the system and finally rerouted to the less loaded PCI lane (wherever it leads).

"ZipChord" will be available for the low price of $1337 for a limited 24 hours period.

OP
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Audio Company
Four test offset tracks are available at the following link for downloading. It's a piano piece. My wife and I already independently listened to these tracks and our conclusions were the same. I will post my impressions in a few days to give you all time to listen to them and rate them.

It would be nice if someone with audio editing software would examine these files and verify that the data is the same and what the offsets are like. I lost that info over the years. For some reason, two of them are 20mBytes and two are 66MBytes. Not sure why...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g9jz9lwgvozepic/AADx1d8YLCr5YCPQl23fUkFDa?dl=0

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
No, you can't, because I'm changing mine when I'm given a good reasoning and/or facts, like precise measurement. And as much as you are proud of not changing your beliefs I'm proud of changing mine when given enough reason or facts. That's the main difference between you and me.
Being honest you should realize that stating someone cannot change their mind is very disingenuous. How can you know what someone else will do? If all just have an open conversation as suggested by Amir, maybe everyone will be better when done. People can agree to disagree without vitriol.

Newk Yuler

Wife references are classic.

Is it not true that women generally hear better than men? Also wives are usually husbands' closest friends and spend a lot of time around their men while they work on their hobbies (and vice versa). Wife references are valid.

Wait a few hours to reply to a post in this thread and it finds a place 4 or 5 pages down the line. Steve Nugent and skeptics at ASR. The greatest show on earth for a little while. :cool:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Four test offset tracks are available at the following link for downloading. It's a piano piece. My wife and I already independently listened to these tracks and our conclusions were the same. I will post my impressions in a few days to give you all time to listen to them and rate them.

It would be nice if someone with audio editing software would examine these files and verify that the data is the same and what the offsets are like. I lost that info over the years. For some reason, two of them are 20mBytes and two are 66MBytes. Not sure why...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g9jz9lwgvozepic/AADx1d8YLCr5YCPQl23fUkFDa?dl=0

Got 'em, thanks.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Is it not true that women generally hear better than men? Also wives are usually husbands' closest friends and spend a lot of time around their men while they work on their hobbies (and vice versa). Wife references are valid.

Yes, yes, and no. See: Clever Hans.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The files pointed to earlier in the thread on the Mutec. The first two are different in some ways. Here is a Deltawave result comparing them. All the others also compare with about the same results. Most of the difference is between 500 and 1000 hz. I would think this audible.
Empircal test files.png

empirical test file 2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom