• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you really hear the sound details over 20kHz?

sam

I have been listening to music really really long time and I think I can notice the difference between crappy mp3 and good lossless source. But I can never say that the ultrasonic frequencies affects my listening.
There's whole lot of expensive high tech stuff that can extend the frequencies past 20kHz, whether it's a speaker or a DAC/AMP. But personally, I don't think it will affect my listening and it would have less impact as I age more.

I'm not saying "because I can't hear it, it's useless" But I'm just wondering if there's anyone in need for frequencies over 20kHz.
I tested my hearing few month ago and I can't hear anything above 16kHz, so this sad truth tells me extremely high frequencies can't bother me at all.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't see anything to disagree with in your post.

Just for reference, there are something like 1.5 to 2 % of young adults that can perceive tones above 20 khz. The threshold is very high at more than 100 db and I think there isn't anyone who could do better than 23 khz. Considering how rarely any high levels occur near 20 khz with music it isn't much to worry about.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your hearing test was almost surely sine waves in isolation.

The fly in the ointment is that music consists of complex waveforms. We don't know for sure if the first test always generalizes to music.

We do know that mp3 is fine for most people on most music, using whatever systems they used when doing the R&D on it.

pma

Major Contributor
Try switch on-off test with 20kHz wave. You might hear/feel the "on" transient and then increased pressure in your ear. (I am 65 :D)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try switch on-off test with 20kHz wave. You might hear/feel the "on" transient and then increased pressure in your ear. (I am 65 :D)

This may also be because the source of 20kHz, however low distortion, may also have an amount of low level broadband noise, and it's the noise that one senses.

S.

pma

Major Contributor
This may also be because the source of 20kHz, however low distortion, may also have an amount of low level broadband noise, and it's the noise that one senses.

S.

Maybe yes, maybe no, maybe a speculation, as noise floor level remains measurably the same and electronics and speaker remains on all the time.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The fly in the ointment is that music consists of complex waveforms. We don't know for sure if the first test always generalizes to music

Do we have any evidence, or a suggested mechanism by which, it doesn't?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The threshold is very high at more than 100 db and I think there isn't anyone who could do better than 23 khz.

I think it's more like 28kHz, actually. Will post the study when I get home later...

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am inferring that you are equating file sample rate with hearing frequency range. If thats the case, Sample rate is not related to hearing frequency range. It is the number of samples per second used to encode the analog music signal. Whether that signal is 20hz or 20khz. Please ignore if my assumption is incorrect.

Geert

Major Contributor
From "Behavioral Hearing Thresholds Between 0.125 and 20 kHz Using Depth-Compensated Ear Simulator Calibration - Jungmee Lee, Ph.D., Sumitrajit Dhar, Ph.D., [...], and Jonathan Siegel, Ph.D. (2012)". (Other studies came to the same conclusion).
nihms445330f2 (1).jpg
The conclusion is that in practice we are deaf above 20kHz (an lower if you're a bit older). (Or you should amplify high frequencies until they smoke your tweeters).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
How hard can it be to filter a 24/96 or 24/192 recording to 20kHz and AB that against the original ?
Better make sure the transducer has no problems with >20kHz material.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
anyone know the world population distribution of being able to hear above 20kz?
I struggle with 12k and even at that level, there is nothing of interest or adds to music i listen to and from what i can tell i am missing very little in the context of content.

Top Bottom