• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you plug speakers aux cable into headphone jack?

Viryu

Hello

I was planning on replacing my current laptop speakers, where they need to be small due to limited space. I was using Soundscience SQB, which had excellent quality but the ports got damaged and new ones aren't available anymore. I was thinking about these: Moloroll but they have a usb for power (I'm guessing I could connect it to computer's usb) and aux cable for sound. My laptop doesn't have aux jack, only microphone and headphone ports.

1. Would speakers with aux cable still work if connected to headphone jack?
2. Would it still be a stereo sound?
3. Are there any other better choices for similarly compact speakers?

staticV3

Master Contributor
1. Would speakers with aux cable still work if connected to headphone jack?
Yes. You can use every headphone jack as though it were Aux/Line.

2. Would it still be a stereo sound?
As long as the speakers can do stereo, yes.

3. Are there any other better choices for similarly compact speakers?
probably yeah. The first one that comes to mind is the Minirig 3, but that's way more expensive.

OP
V

Viryu

Thank you. Could you please provide couple more quality compact options which could be used in 2.0 stereo setup? It would help a lot to pick something to my liking, and I'm not knowledgeable on which brands are good or not. Maybe one of those might be available in EU, that would be a big bonus.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Yeah... Headphone signals are approximately line level, (about the same voltage) except headphone outputs ALWAYS have a volume control. Sometimes line level outputs aren't volume controlled and in home equipment nothing is calibrated and "line level" varies.

I've got an old-extra laptop with it's headphone-output connected to my main stereo AVR. (Soon to be upgraded to a modern laptop with HDMI.)

But it doesn't usually work the other way around... Most line-outputs can't drive the lower impedance of headphones... Headphones need more current which means you are "stressing" the circuit and the voltage will probably drop and you could have other issues.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
It's hard to name a truly good truly small speaker that's substantially cheaper than the iLoud Micro Monitor, which is approaching twice your budget. It's about the only speaker that size that can claim being flat almost down to 50 Hz, at least at moderate volumes - so it should come as no surprise that it sounds much bigger than the size would suggest.

Since you mention availability within the EU, I guess that means you should be able to shop at Thomann. Their fairly new Swissonic A203BT speaker set is quite compact and would fit the budget, so I might give that one a shot, perhaps with a set of Iso-Pad 5 unless you've got some other way of getting the tweeter axis aligned with your ears (with what is likely to be a minimal crossover, I wouldn't expect too much latitude in the vertical).
The FR graph provided by the manufacturer in this review
Swissonic_203BT_Frequenz
looks a bit bass-heavy with little going on below 100 Hz, but that's nothing a bit of EQ (e.g. via Equalizer APO + PEACE, use e.g. REW to devise an EQ setting) couldn't improve a fair bit.

BTW, while speakers with USB for power plus 3.5 mm AUX for sound can fundamentally be powered by the PC, it's generally a bad idea. Issues with ground loop noise are virtually guaranteed. A USB charger should be used instead, or perhaps a power bank if you're on the move.

Top Bottom