• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you make a small room sound decent?

hemiutut

Small rooms always sound like sht. Fortunately, there are good headphones, headphone amps/DACs, etc for guys like you.
In view of this comment, it is very clear that he does not know how to optimize equipment in small rooms.

Written with translator.

Regards

OP
M

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I ended up contacting HDacoustics out of the recommendation from Duke. I'd like to do my spaces right and have 100% confidence in the info and suggestions I'm getting, worth the fee IMO.

Abe_W

In view of this comment, it is very clear that he does not know how to optimize equipment in small rooms.

Written with translator.

Regards
After Frodo Baggins plopped down all his gear and installed all requisite treatments, he lost most of his tiny room in the shire and it still sounded like bollocks. If the small room inhabitant wanted to dance to his music, he will be hopping in place like a fool or falling over sht. Trim your giant egos, speakers, etc and stick with headphones, all ye small room/shire inhabitants.

hemiutut

After Frodo Baggins plopped down all his gear and installed all requisite treatments, he lost most of his tiny room in the shire and it still sounded like bollocks. If the small room inhabitant wanted to dance to his music, he will be hopping in place like a fool or falling over sht. Trim your giant egos, speakers, etc and stick with headphones, all ye small room/shire inhabitants.
I hope that the administration will call your attention for your bad manners.
I repeat again that if you don't know how to optimize a small room equipment
regardless of the size of the loudspeakers, configuration with subwoofer/s,
it is your problem, inform yourself a lot by reading and then learn.

Written with translator.

Regards

hex168

I read Kongwee's original post (#39) as saying that speakers against the front wall to reduce SBIR causes more reflections.
Right. Same thing. Closer to front wall means further from you = more reflections compared to direct sound.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

At the very least your view is unimaginative. At worst, asinine.

What next? "Don't ever listen in the near field, just get headphones"?

dasdoing

Major Contributor

whenever someone sounds angry on the internet it is a red flag lol
if you would sit here in my recliner in my small room I would have to force you to leave lol. the room obviously doesn't sound big, but there is no small-room-bass either.

witwald

Forum Donor
there are good headphones, headphone amps/DACs, etc ...
And what are one or two good headphones, with the proviso that they don't have a stratospheric price? The variability of headphone sound reproduction/quality from one model to the next appears to make it quite difficult to choose a pair of headphones. A small room and loudspeakers would seem to be largely preferable.

Kvalsvoll

Audio Company
Six Blade Knife. From the original Japan pressing. Just need to turn it up, because I know what happens to this drum, the tactile feel that is so addictive, and makes the whole experience realistic, like real, physical instruments.

You can never get tactile feel from headphones, but for sure, you can get very good sound in a small room. Like the room where I just listened to Six Blade Knife.

I also heard Sony Clark - Voodoo. Same experience, it is real. With tactile slam.

Digital_Thor

A pair of smaller subwoofers, would surely give you more freedom to place the speakers more optimal for stereo - all sound sources are ultimately bound by each other ;)
Second, I would try a waveguide for tweeters - it really made me like my speakers more. I had a front firing tweeter for years and finally tried the Seas DXT.... never looked back since. It tightened up my stereo image a lot, and made the transition from midrange to tweeter much, much smoother - at all angles. Tried it against a Bliesma too.... not worth it - because the front mounted dome simply "blows" the higher frequencies in all direction - not controlled or well sounding. Execution and acoustic design is way more important than exotic materials and the like.
If possible.... try something that measure like these:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...5-bookshelf-speaker-review.14745/#post-458254

And I mean - try. Because maybe you don't like the sound or other factors limit you.

OP
M

mightycicadalord

I've had a lot waveguided speakers and determined I don't much care for them. Has to be a really shallow waveguide for me to like them.

Digital_Thor

I've had a lot waveguided speakers and determined I don't much care for them. Has to be a really shallow waveguide for me to like them.
Fair enough :) I cant see myself without them.... funny how experiences are so different. I prefer them oval or round, but rather narrow - seems to make the speaker "disappear" more easily in my room.

Top Bottom