• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you identify this reel-to-reel deck?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you recognise this reel-to-reel deck’s make and model?

Thank you in advance.

IMG_4041.jpeg

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: pjn

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
If I really wanted a step backwards I would buy a used Studer analog 2 track, proven in thousands of studios for 30 years at a fraction of the price. "The future of tape recorders" was 30 years ago.
Doesn't get much better, practically speaking, than a Studer A80.
I cannot afford one (at least, not one in good working order).

I'd settle for a Stellavox -- but I can't afford one of those, either. ;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Does anyone have experience with the RTM brand of tape?

Are they actually manufacturing tape stock or are they repackaging bulk BASF/EMTEC NOS tape from a few decades ago when they pulled the pin?

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Doesn't get much better, practically speaking, than a Studer A80.
I cannot afford one (at least, not one in good working order).

I'd settle for a Stellavox -- but I can't afford one of those, either. ;)
Thats the thing, a $300 dac and a laptop is better.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
And if you really want a big step backwards there are there cassette tapes.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thats the thing, a $300 dac and a laptop is better.
That's why I gave up on tape as soon as Digigram brought out their PCMCIA audio card, the VXPocket. At that time it cost near to what a decent used ReVox cost, but a LOT less faff and much better performance. I still have it, and occasionally use it.

By the way, I think the ultimate tape recorder was the Ampex ATR100 series, rather than Studer, but ironically, both were supplanted by digital even at the time, with the Sounstream and Sony PCM1.
S

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I really wanted a step backwards I would buy a used Studer analog 2 track, proven in thousands of studios for 30 years at a fraction of the price.
How much is this one then? Good condition A80 sell for high five figures.

Johnplayerson

Good equipment, is not all about what is easy People that have enjoyed , and still enjoy reel to reel. Have some very valuable machines and A lot more retro look. If you watched Citadel, you will see many movies in the spy theme and others, still employ these machines, as they make great backdrop, and better viewing. Movies tend to get boring when all one does is watch people send text messages.

There has always been someone to step up to make new reel to reel tapes, simply because, the demand is actually quite steep still. They are fantastic machines to have in ones audio arsenal, just as it also is for the PHONO player, and the fact people still love to buy vinyl.

Ifrit

Are they actually manufacturing tape stock or are they repackaging bulk BASF/EMTEC NOS tape from a few decades ago when they pulled the pin?
NOS would exhibit sticky shed syndrome. RTM is new stock. Good quality.

dfuller

Major Contributor

Yes, it's the good stuff. The tech team at my work swear by it, the other available stuff (ATR Magnetics) is apparently very prone to sticky shed and is wildly inconsistent.

Johnplayerson

NOS would exhibit sticky shed syndrome. RTM is new stock. Good quality.
NOS SM900 sticky shed?. I have lots of it , no such thing. Even Lpr 35 in the 7 inch reel, that came in the plastic hard case way back is PERFECT. Anything BASF EMTEC is GOLD, BASF bought AGFA, and used there formulation, Any tape can be bad if stored in poor conditions. Maxell tape has yet to develop any issues as well as CAPITOL

Top Bottom