• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you hear silent video?

Brad

Check out this recent article on New Scientist

bit.ly/2GMeQp3

Anyone hear anything?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes on the jump roping power towers. Really weird. Faint, but a drumming heavy sound whenever the tower lands. Was not expecting that even though I guess reading the article put the idea in my head. But definitely there. Real enough I thought maybe the video had a low level sound in it. So I turned off the amps on my sound rig and still heard the same thing.

Nothing on the others however.

Wombat

Master Contributor
No, but my career was mostly in the electrical power industry. I couldn't connect with the jumping pylon. I thought I was distracted by a bout of tinnitus but it turned out to be a few cicadas tuning up outdoors.

Why do some individuals assume they are immune to psycho-acoustics? Their problem, not mine.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yes on the jump roping power towers. Really weird. Faint, but a drumming heavy sound whenever the tower lands.

Exactly the same for me. A deep almost subterranean metal sound, not unlike all those movie sounds of sinking ships hitting the ocean floor.

But we know what it should sound like- we've seen so many movies and heard so many sounds through our lives. Events are coupled with sounds and that one (if it were real) would be spectacular.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Same. I find synaesthesia fascinating, lot's of musicians seem to have it, where as lot's of audiophiles seem to have tinnitus.

Lots of older rock musicians have tinnitus and/or hearing impairment. Happily, earplugs are accepted now. :)

Top Bottom