• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you hear difference between the two wav file examples?

magicscreen

example A
example B

I have tried using the Deltawave software, but not exactly understanding the results :)
Warning: The beginnings of the two files are not properly aligned.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can use DeltaWave to listen to the difference.

First, run the match between the two files. You can see some numerical results, but you can also press the play button next to the reference, comparison, or the delta files to play. When you press the delta play, you will hear the difference between the two files. When I do it with your files, I can't hear anything at normal listening levels. When I raise the gain control by 50dB, I can hear just a hiss -- no real sound, no music. This indicates that the difference between the files is just noise that's completely inaudible at normal listening levels.

1574525642265.png

As to how to interpret the numeric results:

1. The spectrum of the delta files shows that the difference is almost completely below the 16 bit result (which is why it sounds like hiss)
2. The RMS difference of -73dB shows a pretty good match, as does the 70dB correlated null value
3. There is a very small clock drift of 0.04ppm -- this may just be due to noise, as this value is very low.
4. Only about 3% of the actual samples between the two files match, so they are not bit-perfect

Phase differences indicate no real differences between the two:
1574525823510.png

If you look at delta spectrogram, you'll see very little difference between the two except for noise, also.

OP
M

magicscreen

Are these the recordings made because of this post ?
Yes, they are. I can hear music at +20dB: delta wav
Btw I ordered a new RCA cable for 20$. Don't you think I should buy a new cable instead of using the 30 years old ones? :)

I have a lots of problems recently. I have been listening to the Usb Pro Audio Player on an android smartphone connected to an external DAC.
The UAPP sounds differently than Daphile-PC/Volumio-PC/DVD Player-SPDIF output players.
Here is the DVD-UAPP difference:

Attachments

• delta.png
    delta.png
    176 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
and below 1kHz ?

Test sighted (knowing what player is playing) or do you have someone else operating the player and you guessing which player is playing ?

OP
M

magicscreen

and below 1kHz ?

Test sighted (knowing what player is playing) or do you have someone else operating the player and you guessing which player is playing ?
DeltaWave shows this only. (below 1kHz)
A
B file
delta
Test is sighted for me.
But uploaded the two files and other people are not knowing which one is which one, were hearing the difference :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
DeltaWave shows this only. (below 1kHz)

@pkane his plot shows it all the way down to 10Hz so is probably a setting.

I have tested the files blind (the sound quality was below par) and could not detect a difference myself but I do not see myself as all hearing audiophile. (UMC204HD -> Kameleon -> HD800 via Linux Mint (VLC) and using W7 (SF 10 and AIMP)

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't think it is the ADC.
The recording itself probably was.

Top Bottom