• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you hear a difference? 250hz and 1250hz playing at same time, but 1250 Hz is at 60db down. Vs pure 250hz tone.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Finally you are saying something that is actually true. But this is not the 'bass' you initially talked about was it ?

View attachment 161807
picture is from: https://www.studybass.com/gear/bass-tone-and-eq/bass-frequency-range/
I don't think I ever specified what range is bass in the other thread.

I was just randomly selecting one number because the 5th harmonics could extend over 1000 Hz. I could have selected 200hz.

Anyway, for me, anything that sounded much sharper than the bass fundamental, I would consider "high". In my particular example, even 750hz, 3rd harmonics of 250hz, I consider that tone high because it is sharper and easily distinguishable.

Anyway, per the article you link:
Here's an easy way you can remember the basic frequency range of the bass: 40Hz-400Hz-4000Hz.

The fundamentals range from about 40 to 400 Hertz; the harmonics go all the way to 4000Hz. Simple!

So this site include up to 400hz as bass!

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't think I ever specified what range is bass in the other thread.

let me jog your memory ... see this post.

So this site include up to 400hz as bass!

Yes, I pointed you to it and stated 250Hz is in the bass range. So why run this by me again as an argument against something ?

Anyway, for me, anything that sounded much sharper than the bass fundamental, I would consider "high". In my particular example, even 750hz, 3rd harmonics of 250hz, I consider that tone high because it is sharper and easily distinguishable.

I consider 250Hz high for a bass note.
It's typical of you to leave things like this out:

While the fundamental range of the bass extends up to around 400Hz, most bass playing occurs with fundamentals below that between 40Hz and 200Hz.

You have a different opinion about low and high frequencies as the rest of the world.

And something from me and how I perceive sound.
descriptors2.png

Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
let me jog your memory ... see this post.
Haha, did you see that I was using finger to draw and even say this?
"For a very rough example"

Anyway, let's agree that 250hz is bass, OK?

I also agree with what you said about normal music. Yes, correct, unlikely I can hear thd contributions to highs because of other tones around it.

This I clearly understand. You have said it many times.

I am asking you to consider the possibility that a piece of electronica music can contain 2 pure tones. Can you agree on accepting this possibility?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I am asking you to consider the possibility that a piece of electronica music can contain 2 pure tones. Can you agree on accepting this possibility?

Show me a musical piece that only has 2 continuous tones.

keep digging and posting theories without any basis.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Show me...
You already heard that when you run the abx test from this thread.
: P

Anyway, I admit you are right for 99.9999% of music. I was just curious about corner case. Sorry for making you spent so much time to explain things that I already agree with.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
You kept using normal music as examples. Your explanations make sense. I agree. No argument. You are spending too much time repeating things that I already agree. Please no need to further explain. This will waste lots of your time.

I kept using electronica as example, corner case as example, you then use your personal preference to shut down any consideration of my cases. So, since you won't consider my cases, no need to use your normal music theory to argue. No need to waste your time on me further.

By the way, my music sample for abx is call "Wayne annoying wakeup music".
; )

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
You guys seem to enjoy the pain. 14 pages of responses. Feeding frenzy.
People get online dopamine jolts from just seeing their name.

What we have here is a substance abuse problem.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I think this thread already served it's purpose.

The files shared location will expired soon anyway.

Solderdude was man enough to admit that his statement maybe too broad.

It is very interesting for me to see a range of hearing sensitivity limits.

I do wonder how this small abx samples would represent the general public.....

Anyway, I thank all for spending time doing tests and sharing results!

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I see you and raise you the excruciating 70 page /1500 post car crash that was this…

Ha, I still remember 208 pages and over 4,100 posts of a certain audio compression technology discussion. :)

[BTW, “see you and raise…” is not a valid bet. It’s either “see (call)” or “raise”. Any dealer in Vegas will toss the “raise” portion… Though I say it all the time too, for the effect… :) ]

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha, I still remember 208 pages and over 4,100 posts of a certain audio compression technology discussion. :)

[BTW, “see you and raise…” is not a valid bet. It’s either “see (call)” or “raise”. Any dealer in Vegas will toss the “raise” portion… Though I say it myself all the time too, for the effect… :) ]
Probably why I don't play poker.....

Top Bottom