• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you get everyone to like classical music?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with the issue of "classical music " being a generic term applied to a wide range of styles and genres but it is the term most use. In that sense I would be amazed if people didn't like some classical music. I listen mostly to classical, it doesn't mean I like all of it and i am struggling to think of a musical genre where I have never found anything I didn't like.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I listen mostly to classical, it doesn't mean I like all of it and i am struggling to think of a musical genre where I have never found anything I didn't like.
Rap & Hip Hop

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A couple of years ago I attended a social event at the South African high commission in London where there was traditional South African music and dancing.very loud and all rhythm, I wouldn't listen to it at home but to experience it live was extremely powerful and moving. I have had similar experiences in Indonesia. I don't like rap and hip hop usually but i must admit occasionally I hear examples that I really rather like.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Death metal
You mean the stuff where the singer is trying his best to sound like a cross between some demon from h-ell and a drill sergeant?
Yea I'll pass on that too. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Amended it for you ;)
Never heard of the bloke and this sort of music is rarely played here afaik.
You don't hang in the right stop&sock honkytonks. ;)
Pull into one with a lot of motorcycles out front and you'll hear David Allan Coe

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't hang in the right stop&sock honkytonks. ;)
Pull into one with a lot of motorcycles out front and you'll hear David Allan Coe
Aren't any of that sort of thing here. I have only seen them on American films.
The nearest we have are pubs which do live music and they will be rock music.
My daughter plays in a band and one of the other band members is also in a duo called "The Round Heels" who do country music but I have only seen them perform twice, both times out doors at summer events.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Dimitri

You guys are no fun, you mean you don't like any grind core?
I don't mean to sound like a musical elitist, although by some standards I am one, but some genres are barely worthy of being released on 8-track, or on record played with a ceramic head. At the same time, the existence of "this" still sells venues, equipment, so the only victim is one's own ears .

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
round your parts they use a more polite term of "Cafe"
The Ace Café is only 15 minutes from me. While it is a great meeting place for petrol-heads, they seldom – typically once or twice a month – seem to put on any music (despite having the facilities to do so). Good café though.

Dimitri

Classical music sounded like elevator music while I was growing up, mostly because of what I would listen to on the classical radio station. Boooooooooring. Then I stumbled on ELO (the original and still the best) and the Moody Blues and realized there must be "some good stuff" out there. So I kept my ears open so to speak, and discoverd Panganini, Bach, Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky and realized that most of what was played on the radio was all the stuff I don't like.
The best part about listening to "classical" is that the quality of the recording seems unaffected from recent trends.
Maybe recording engineers of classical and operas are the last ones with any self-respect left.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I agree with the issue of "classical music " being a generic term applied to a wide range of styles and genres but it is the term most use. In that sense I would be amazed if people didn't like some classical music. I listen mostly to classical, it doesn't mean I like all of it and i am struggling to think of a musical genre where I have never found anything I didn't like.

Well, one genre with essentially no redeeming value (obviously my personal opinion): Rap

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
May you rot In Hades for causing my brain to bleed!!
Centeral FL where? I have a double wide winter escape place in Leesburg, I think at times it is nearer to Hades than here in Boston. :)

JustPoo

I read that about 3% of the population has musical anhedonia, so they don't appreciate music at all. In those cases I'd say it's unlikely classical will change their brains!. I've only ever come across one person who has that condition, Ms Poo's boss. She doesn't dislike music either, it just does nothing for her at all. She often pretends she does like music as she's sick of questions and people feeling sorry for her, although honestly it's difficult not to. First it was disbelief, then I realised she was serious and it was a real condition. To people who can't imagine life without music it's a tough one to process, but I guess if you don't know what you're missing then that's that.

Classical music as understood in common speech is so varied and pervasive that I think many like at least one piece, or a piece of a piece. Maybe that's the foot in the door, but many people get stuck in musical ruts and, as mentioned, it does take some effort to learn to like new things. I've never tried to "convert" anyone, although over the years Ms Poo has gained a taste for it just from hearing me play it. There are genres of music I find baffling, but I would say that's likely ignorance and lack of exposure on my part rather than any inherent defect in them.

I once had an odd conversation with a friend, a fellow classical music fan who thought that EDM was the new classical music. He didn't mean culturally, as in "of the time", he meant literally. Well no, new classical music is the new classical music. My counterpoint was simple though: when we go clubbing we're on a lot of drugs, in fact we're on drugs right now. Let's talk tomorrow.

I bought my mother an early Xmas present - a small music player and a pair of KSC75s. Given her resistance to technology I wanted to make a good impression, so I put Un bel dì vedremo on. She cried for about twenty minutes. Honestly I'm not sure if that's a good sign or a bad sign, they might end up in a drawer either way!

Top Bottom