• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you get everyone to like classical music?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ah, I knew there was bound to be upsetting childhood memories behind all this :D

You tried the cranberries with your thanksgiving turkey?? :D
It was so traumatic, now every time I see a cranberry I shutter and have flashbacks to the carnage. :eek:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Fill your hands you -------------------

Nightlord

Say someone is buying you a pair of music concert tickets; any price, any concert. What music genre would you pick?
Rolling Stones? Rap music concert, Opera Classical Ballet, Orchestral Classical, Choral and Organ, Punk, Metallica, Beyonce, Celine Dion, Iggy Pop, ...?

The most expensive music concert tickets cost $10,000+ (each), you can have two (for you and your wife), any band/orchestra you like, and anywhere in the world (hotel and airfare all included, paid off). Where are you going, Broadway in New York, Jazz club in San Francisco, Monaco, Paris, London, Vienna, North Korea, ...where?

Well, I don't think the rules would let anyone give away tickets, but disregarding that aspect for the sake of argument then I'd pick 'Last night of the Proms" @ Royal Albert Hall

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But he's a Service Dog !

Cosmik

Major Contributor
A prime example of neither audience nor orchestra being the slightest bit interested in the music. Both are there for some sort of social occasion with the bland, anodyne classical music as nothing more than a virtuous backdrop. Both audience and orchestra are relieved by the dog's arrival as a break in the tedium.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
A prime example of neither audience nor orchestra being in the slightest bit interested in the music. Both are there for some sort of social occasion with the bland, anodyne classical music as nothing more than a virtuous backdrop. Both audience and orchestra are relieved by the dog's arrival as a break in the tedium.
Yup. Prague is one of our favorite cities for good music but there are signs everywhere for nightly performances of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by the same 2-3 groups every night of the week. Real dogs.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Reverse thinking. Can we get classical music aficionados to adopt @BillG preferences, for example. Refer 'What are we listening to now' thread.

Cut the proselytising and simply enjoy what you like. ;)

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This just leaves me cold (it can be any Mozart - I just typed in a random number):

I could probably tell you what it is I like about the Vaughan Williams. The Mozart just seems to be "going through the motions"; 'showing off'. I feel *nothing* when listening to it, except "When is this going to stop?".

2.5 years late, but maybe not too late: Try Ave Verum and Requiem.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Personally I don't understand why people don't like classical

Even modern classical is great:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Celty

I do have an affinity for classical, though even worse in the eyes of many, I love opera! BTW if you like classical at all, be sure to watch the Amazon series "Mozart in the Jungle". It's enough fun that I bet it has introduced quite a few to classical.

Cortes

Even modern classical is great:

It might be related to education and age. I never had formal musical education, and that underexposures to classic music and overexposures to pop/commercial music. I'm trying to componseate that with my 4 y/o kid, whom I take to violin lessons.

I've always loved music. However I've been always transitioning, as a teeneager I loved POP, the hits were fantastic, later discovered the ROCK, later settled with Jazz, female voices y some electronic music for many years. Now I'm getting stuck with classic, mainly with female opera, I'm liking it more and more. I'm happy because I know there is a whole world for me to discover. Related to this forum, there is something about classic that restricts it a lot: it requires a good place to listen, you need to feel its dynamical range to enjoy it more. With most of the rest of the music you are done with some headphones.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It doesn't speak to life experiences.
Steve Goodman wrote this for David Allan Coe,
It was crowned The Perfect County And Western Song and gets sung nightly at gin-mills all over the world.

"Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick her up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got run over by a damned old train"

Daverz

Major Contributor
It doesn't speak to life experiences.
Steve Goodman wrote this for David Allan Coe,
It was crowned The Perfect County And Western Song and gets sung nightly at gin-mills all over the world.

"Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison

I don't think I have the life experiences to appreciate that. ;)

Top Bottom